MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams put on pads, pound away in “physical” practice ..

08.01.2009 11:25 am
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

After Friday’s relatively short and undemanding full-squad practice, one had to wonder about St. Louis Rams rookie head coach Steve Spagnuolo’s promise of a tough training camp. One wag said it like Club Med at Rams Park.

That all changed Saturday morning, as Spagnuolo directed a two-hour workout with the players in full pads. It featured two periods of “live” 11-on-11 drills, totaling about 30 plays. That meant it was open season on everyone but the quarterbacks, and some hard tackles and fierce collisions were the result.

“I didn’t think it was that tough. It was physical,” Spagnuolo said afterward. “We need to find out quickly –- you’ve got to remember, it’s a whole new staff and a lot of unknowns — and really the only way to find out is to put them in those kinds of situations. As we go along, we’ll just decide every day how many of those periods will be live.”

In other words, expect more hitting as the preseason continues, a vast departure from previous Rams training camps.

Cornerback Ron Bartell endorsed the approach. “I think it gets guys a little bit more focused, gets them pepped up,” he said. “The fans certainly enjoy it; I don’t know if Steven (Jackson) likes it too much. But it’s something I think we need, just to get that contact out of the way, get used to doing it. That’s what we get paid to do: tackle. . . .

“It’s a new feeling around here. I think guys are welcoming the challenge. (Spagnuolo) said camp was going to be tough, and we’re ready.”

Notes & quotes:

*For the first time since the Rams drafted him No. 2 overall in April, Jason Smith took some reps at RT with the first team.

*DE Chris Long was flying around the field during the live work.

*David Vobora was with the first-team defense at strongside linebacker. Larry Grant was with the “ones” on Friday. They’ll likely alternate there for a while.

*In the practice-ending special-teams period, Derek Stanley, Donnie Avery and Ronald Curry fielded punts. The team didn’t work on kick returns.

*S Oshiomogho Atogwe dived in front of Avery for an interception, then hopped up and sprinted to the end zone.

*WR Nate Jones made a pretty one-handed grab in the end zone during red-zone drills.

*G John Greco returned to practice after missing Friday’s workout because of cramps suffered in the morning conditioning run. He was at RG with the No. 2 line, along with C Mark Setterstrom, LG Roy Schuening, RT Smith and Adam Goldberg, and LT Phil Trautwein.

All for now . . . more following the afternoon practice.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Rams put on pads, pound away in “physical” practice ..

*S Oshiomogho Atogwe dived in front of Avery for an interception, then hopped up and sprinted to the end zone.

i dont know if this if good or bad

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post

i dont know if this if good or bad
    Good if we have the best offense in the NFL and bad if our defense ends up being the worst in the league.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Servs is offline Registered User

Thats my O.J.!