Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dwight Frye

Thread: Rams QB Blames Mental Mistakes For Offensive Woes

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams QB Blames Mental Mistakes For Offensive Woes

Rams QB blames mental mistakes for offensive woes

By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
    Nov 9, 6:57 pm EST

ST. LOUIS (AP)—With or without Sam Bradford(notes) behind center, the St. Louis Rams can’t score.

Bradford believes mental letdowns are to blame for puny production, especially in the red zone. He once thought it might have been new offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels’ system, but not now.

“At this point, I think to use that as an excuse or reason for our struggles, I don’t think that’s right,” Bradford said Wednesday. “As much as I hate to say that, I think it’s a lack of concentration once we get down there. Some of the mistakes that we do make down there, there’s no reason for them, and we’ve got to find a way to eliminate those.”

A week after the Rams (1-7) put it all together for the first time in a 31-21 upset over the Saints, they reverted to form. With Bradford back after missing two games with a high left ankle sprain, St. Louis managed three field goals and lost in overtime to Arizona.

The Rams lost despite piling up 383 total yards and Steven Jackson earning his second straight 100-yard rushing day. The Rams are next to last in the NFL with a 12.5-point average and only eight offensive touchdowns. The offense has 500 penalty yards, third most in the NFC, and the passing offense is struggling.

St. Louis and Seattle are tied for the fewest trips inside the 20 at 18 apiece, and the Rams are last in the NFC with seven red zone TDs.

The offensive line has been effective lately on the run game, helping Jackson break out a bit. But center Jason Brown’s(notes) 84-game streak of consecutive starts is in jeopardy because of the inefficiency. Brown said Wednesday he’s been told he won’t start at Cleveland on Sunday.

“We get down there and we just continue to shoot ourselves in the foot with either penalties or negative plays that put us behind the chains and put us into bad situations,” Bradford said. “The sooner we can eliminate those negative plays, I think the sooner we’ll finally start to see rewards.”

The good news for Bradford is there were no setbacks from the Cardinals loss. He’s still wearing a brace but said his ankle “definitely” feels better than last week at this time, and ditched the walking boot the day after the game. Barring further injury, he expects the ankle to be healed in two or three weeks.

Bradford said he got a few rehab tips from this week’s opposite number, and the player who finished right behind him for the Heisman Trophy. Browns quarterback Colt McCoy(notes) competed against Bradford in some Texas-Oklahoma college showdowns and McCoy had a high ankle sprain last year as a rookie.

Bradford said the Rams already were doing most of what McCoy recommended.

“It’s not like he gave me a piece of advice that changed our game plan as far as handling it, but it was just nice to hear he was able to get over it and play the rest of the year,” Bradford said.

The offense might get a bit of a lift this week with the return of Mark Clayton(notes), Bradford’s top receiving threat early last season. Clayton’s comeback from a knee injury early last season has been hampered by an Achilles tendon injury but he’s felt better the last week or so and said Wednesday he was probably about 90 percent.

“I’m ready to play,” Clayton said. “The past couple weeks I’ve been able to get hold of it, calm it down. Last week was really good. This week, we’re trying to build on it.”

The Rams need Clayton after losing their slot receiver, rookie Greg Salas(notes), for the year with a broken leg. Salas leads the team with 27 receptions.

“I’m definitely excited to get Mark back,” Bradford said. “Especially after losing Salas, we need someone to come in and step up, and it’s just great timing that Mark’s finally getting healthy.”

To make room for Clayton, the Rams released third-string quarterback Tom Bradstater.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams QB Blames Mental Mistakes For Offensive Woes

So if a gimpy Bradford goes down and Feeley gets hurt in the Cleveland game who is the 3rd string QB?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    So if a gimpy Bradford goes down and Feeley gets hurt in the Cleveland game who is the 3rd string QB?
    Would it really matter at that point?
    This team will not win if a third string QB had to come into the game. Some teams have the surrounding personnel to make up for lack of production at the QB position, the Rams do not.
    To answer your question though, I believe they said it was Billy Bajema, he played QB in high school.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

The QB needs to look in the mirror as well. Bad reads, bad throws and holding onto the ball too long and taking unnecessary sacks (loss yardage plays) are also a major contributor in poor red-zone execution. Sam has at times (usually critical times) been undisciplined or unsure of what's going on in the game. He had a wide-open Salas (I believe it was Salas before the injury) last week that he didn't see because he was too locked in on the underneath stuff to notice. He waited for the guy in the middle (that was tightly covered) to get opened while another WR was all alone down the right side of the field. Sam took a sack instead. That's on him. But I agree with him that the team is undisciplined at times and it's costing them, and I still think they're feeling out this new offense and at times it's giving them problems.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

I think Loney should have to play qb ...
    RockinRam and RKDfan like this.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Well, the team will know we wont be throwing it after that .. wildcat anyone? Kendricks, Jackson and Williams in the backfield

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

It used to be Amendola. But now I believe it would be Bajema. I am not 100% on that but I thought that is what they said.