Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RebelYell

Thread: Rams QB Bradford Not Worried About Knee

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams QB Bradford Not Worried About Knee

Rams QB Bradford not worried about knee

By R.B. FALLSTROM (AP Sports Writer) June 19, 2014 7:35 PM AP - Sports

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Sam Bradford knows how well he's feeling. The St. Louis Rams quarterback doesn't care what anybody else thinks about his surgically repaired left knee - or a career that's yet to take off.

The team concluded workouts Thursday and Bradford headed for home in Oklahoma City, confident he'll be back as good as ever when training camp begins in late July, and that he belongs in the upper echelon at his position.

''I think you have to believe in yourself and you have to be confident,'' Bradford said. ''I don't try to compare myself to anyone,'' then added to reporters, ''You guys do a great job of that.''

The scrutiny is just noise. The Rams re-affirmed their commitment to Bradford before the draft and then backed it up by waiting until late in the draft before taking a potential future arm.

''To be honest, I just don't pay attention to any of it,'' Bradford said. ''I don't read the paper, don't listen to the radio, don't watch the news. I know the preparation and time I've put in, I know I'm doing the right things.''

Bradford was the first overall pick in 2010 but has yet to be a difference-maker for a franchise that won seven games each of coach Jeff Fisher's first two seasons. He firmly believes the Rams are poised to be a contender and Fisher said there's ''no doubt'' Bradford has Pro Bowl potential.

''He's the vision, the decision-making ability, the arm strength and mobility to put up great numbers,'' Fisher said.

Guard Rodger Saffold was drafted a round after Bradford in 2010 and calls his teammate underrated.

''He's become more of the commander in chief more and more as the years have gone by,'' Saffold said. ''I've seen him grown up.''

Bradford has been eased back into the mix during workouts and exceeded expectations as a full participant this week. He has logged long hours at Rams Park since getting hurt in Week 7 last season, getting just a few weekends off, and was looking forward to a ''nice, little break,'' with time for golf.

''He's going to get away a little bit,'' Fisher said. ''He needs to get away, and he'll come back ready to go.''

Fisher thought both Bradford and left tackle Jake Long, also coming off knee surgery, should be ready for the preseason.

The Rams were a lot more ground-based after Bradford's injury last year and that's the usual M.O. of a Fisher team. They'll probably seek a balanced attack with offensive upgrades designed to make Bradford's job easier.

''The big thing for us is we're trying to create competition at all spots,'' offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. ''You'll see different guys working with the ones.''

Offensive lineman Greg Robinson was the second overall pick and will be a starter at guard. Third-round pick Tre Mason could challenge running back Zac Stacy, who just missed 1,000 yards his rookie year. Veteran wide receiver Kenny Britt could find new life re-united with Fisher.

''We're going to pound it at people until they can stop it,'' Bradford said, but added, ''We're not going to be scared to drop back and throw it.''

Fisher reminded players that they couldn't win the NFC West on the practice field in June, and before cutting them loose reminded them to stay out of trouble and stay in shape. Rookies were due to report one more day and a handful of veterans rehabbing will also be around, but before long the building will clear out for a while.

''It was a step-by-step process, we got everything in,'' Fisher said. ''We're very, very healthy and we got the rookies caught up, which was good.''

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: Rams QB Bradford Not Worried About Knee

Best advice. Stay out of TROUBLE. Leave that stuff to the Whiners

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This is Bradfords make or break year in my opinion.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Yep. His contract is up after 2015 but if he hasn't displayed his promise, the Rams will be forced to take action in finding his replacement. The draft choices and free agents have been invested to provide him with weapons.
    RealRam likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

So, here's my issue with saying that it's Bradford's make or break year, when we look towards potentially drafting someone new. We've seen every year that this team and Bradford are good enough to consistently put us in the 6 to 10 win category. It depends on the luck of how a few games end. Even if we end up at 6-10, and want to move on from Sam, how do we do so?

We'll likely be somewhere between picks 10-14, out of reach of a "franchise" quarterback, and will not have much trade value for Bradford. How much of the future do we mortgage to trade up. Do we find ourselves on the other side of an RG3 trade? My hope is that there's about 4 quarterbacks with more promise than Bortles had this year in the draft in 2015, and maybe we just take the one that falls, but if not, what do we do?

My best solution would have been to trade Buffalo for that #9 slot and secure a second #1 pick for next year, though we'd have lost out on Robinson and other "elite" talents. For the sense of security that we'd have, I think that it'd have been worth it, myself.
    I believe!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I really don't think it's that simple. What makes or breaks his status as our QB? There are numerous different ways this season could pan out. It's not as if there is a fine line between the two.

Also, lets say Bradford either gets seriously injured, has a mediocre year, or the Rams as a whole have a mediocre year. Of course, fans will be calling for his head, but who replaces him?

Look, I like Bradford, I know he has the talent if he can just stay upright and healthy. With that said, if he doesn't improve this year, I wouldn't be against considering other options. However, in my opinion, there's a good chance the Rams will pick too low in the first round to get a QB that is better than Bradford, and ready to take his starting job immediately. And even if they have a top pick, I'm not sure any of the QBs who will be available will be better than him right away.

It's easy to threaten Bradford's position as starting QB, but replacing him would be the hard part

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I really don't think it's that simple. What makes or breaks his status as our QB? There are numerous different ways this season could pan out. It's not as if there is a fine line between the two.

Also, lets say Bradford either gets seriously injured, has a mediocre year, or the Rams as a whole have a mediocre year. Of course, fans will be calling for his head, but who replaces him?

Look, I like Bradford, I know he has the talent if he can just stay upright and healthy. With that said, if he doesn't improve this year, I also wouldn't be against considering other options. However, in my opinion, there's a good chance the Rams will pick too low in the first round to get a QB that is better than Bradford, and ready to take his starting job immediately. And even if they have a top pick, I'm not sure any of the QBs who will be available will be better than him right away. If Bradford has a terrible year and there's an Andrew Luck out there we can get, of course we should go for it, but the odds are low.

It's easy to threaten Bradford's position as starting QB, replacing him would be the hard part.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -06-24-2014 at 03:57 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    We'll likely be somewhere between picks 10-14,
    Could you please outline how this range was determined? How have you determined that the Rams are likely out of the playoff picture already?

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I agree. You could argue it would have been last year if it weren't for the injury. Everything around him has been upgraded to an extent. I support him and hope he can bring this team to the playoffs, but this is definitely a crucial year.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by J-RodRamFan View Post
    I agree. You could argue it would have been last year if it weren't for the injury. Everything around him has been upgraded to an extent. I support him and hope he can bring this team to the playoffs, but this is definitely a crucial year.
    Not sure I follow the logic. If 2013 was in fact a make or break year, which many deemed it was. How does a mid-season injury save him? I would think that would be the end of him as many now consider him to be often injured and unreliable due to his health. I do agree it's a critical year for the Rams and Bradford.

If the Rams make the playoffs then do the Rams let Bradford go into his last year without a contract? If the Rams make the playoffs and Bradford's numbers are average do they ask him to redo his deal and add a couple of years to it and make it more cap friendly? If Bradford plays great and we don't make the playoffs due to the division being what it is, do we let him play out his contract? Bottom line is the Rams will have to make a decision on Sam due to his contract as well as his play and health.

A few scenarios:

Rams make it as far as the SB or Championship game Bradford plays great could get him a long term deal and big bucks.

Rams sneak into the playoffs Sam plays good could get him a modest two extension or play out his contract.

Rams don't make the playoffs Sam plays good not great. He could or should be asked to redo his deal to create more cap space so we could add elite talent to get over the hump. He may say no and we have no choice but to part ways.

Rams don't make the playoffs, Sam gets hurt or plays poor. We move on.

Next year cap hit $16,580,000 dead money $3,595,000. His contract says it's decision time.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Just like the past two? It's hard to define make or break anyway. What if he finished right in the middle of the pack for QBs, would that be a make or a break? It's actually pretty freakin hard to find a QB who can produce even in the middle of the pack. If it was easy, everyone would have at least an average QB, but they don't.

Unless Bradford sucks a lot, and there is a clear upgrade in FA/the draft who we are in a position to get, I doubt this is a break year yet for Sam. I know that's not something some want to acknowledge, they want more production or a new QB, but getting a new QB isn't always easy.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Could you please outline how this range was determined? How have you determined that the Rams are likely out of the playoff picture already?
    A couple lines above this, I said in my scenario that we would finish 6-10, because I feel that we've seen enough from Sam to basically ensure between 6-10 wins. With some better help around him offensively, that win total rises. So, at a worst case, we end up 6-10, far from the bottom of the league, but obviously out of the playoffs.

The problem with being 6-10 is that we're stuck in that bottom of the first half of the pick order, far out of reach of the elite QB talents, because again, I was addressing trying to move on from Sam. I do not support that thinking, but I was addressing the thought that this is Sam's make or break year. If we determine that another "status quo" year from Sam categorizes it as a "break," then we have to deal with trying to get a new "franchise" quarterback from the middle third of the first round. I was asking how anyone could foresee us actually being able to do that.

I do not know how the Rams will do this year, and fully think that we can make a run at the playoffs. However, we have a very hard schedule this year and so despite playing better, we could easily end up with a worse record this year than last. It depends heavily on whether we see a coming back to Earth by SF and Sea. Just sayin.
    I believe!