MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Rams' QB situation couldn't be any cloudier ..

Posted Jan. 09, 2010 @ 9:36 a.m.
    By Dan Arkush
    from Pro Football Weekly

It sure doesn't seem like the Rams' eventual starting quarterback in 2010 is currently on the roster.

That likelihood became greater courtesy of recent well-founded rumors that QB Marc Bulger could be seriously contemplating retirement after another rough season.

Bulger, this year's starter until suffering a season-ending fractured shin bone at the end of November, was already considered by many a long shot to return next season after shooting mostly blanks for the third season in a row.

"But as far as him still being the best quarterback on the team, it's not even close," said one insider of the 32-year-old Bulger, whose release or retirement would save the team a net $4.5 million under the salary cap next season.

After Bulger went down, primary backup Kyle Boller stumbled his way through two starts before passing the baton to sixth-round rookie Keith Null for the final four games.

"I'll be surprised if Boller is back," the insider said of the unrestricted free agent and former first-round draft pick of the Ravens who continued to be primarily done in by untimely turnovers.

"Maybe it could be Null. He certainly got some great experience. He has the size and arm strength, and he's very grounded with a good demeanor. But most of the time, he looked like you'd expect a sixth-round pick from a Division II school (West Texas A&M) to look totally overwhelmed."

The consensus is that while Null proved he could have a future at the pro level, he remains best suited at this stage of his development as a No. 3 quarterback.

As for who will enter the offseason filling the No. 1 QB role, it's anybody's guess at the moment.

If there was a franchise-caliber QB worthy of the Rams' first overall pick in the upcoming draft, he probably would be a no-brainer pick in late April.

But the consensus is that this year's QB crop is ordinary at best, which continues to make Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh the Rams' most likely No. 1 pick.

"The best option could be to draft a QB that they like high in the second or third round and get a veteran 'bridge guy' to start next year," the insider said.

A "bridge guy" like Michael Vick, who had a history in Atlanta with Rams GM Billy Devaney?

We hear that's one name that figures to at least be discussed.

Gosh .. I wonder who that insider was .. any guesses??

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' QB situation couldn't be any cloudier ..

Whatever it takes to get Null. Lets find a veteran Qb and draft a young talented QB in the 2nd round.

I would be happy with the following QB's next year starting for the Rams.

Null
    C. Pennington
    C. Redman
    B. Volec
    M. Vick
    C. Frye
    D. Anderson

Go Rams

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I seriously doubt that this insider info is anything but a regurgitation of the usual PD "according to league sources" dreck of which this rumor is the latest example.

"Well-founded", my patootie. DeSpags seem to run a tight ship as far as allowing the press to know anything they don't want them to know-name a time when The PD has "scooped" a move of theirs.

Nor is Bulger known for letting dirty laundry be aired in public or tipping his hand to the press or anyone likely to blab to the press. Quite the opposite,in fact. The only episode I can think of had to do with SJ saying MB was upset about Linehan's benching him.And I doubt the poopstorm that stirred up was a lesson unlearned by anyone in The Rams organization likely to be privy to Marc's thoughts if they value their job.

The only person in a position to have accurate info who has gone on the record is Bulger's agent who said the retirement thing is BS.I also think MB stands to lose a buttload of money if he quits as opposed to being cut.

This rumor makes no sense at all to me. The QB situation is indeed a mystery but I don't think there's any light being shed here except on the poor quality of reportage on The Rams.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

dont waste a pick on a qb in this draft, wait until next year, simple as that. Bulger or another veteran will have to serve as the bridge guy this year. build that D this year in the draft (its littered with good talent) and next year we build on the offense. Our terrible performance on offense this year was a result of untimely injuries to key starters, lack of offensive rhythm and the last of it being sub par play by Bulger (before he ALSO went down). You lose all your starters on offense and its like installing an entire new system mid-season with less skill at your positions. Your going to suck unless you have a tom brady coming off the bench.

Do people actually still wonder how the offense sucked this year?

sdobbers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Null
    C. Pennington
    C. Redman
    B. Volec
    M. Vick
    C. Frye
    D. Anderson
    No offense, but if any of those guys are our starting QB's we might as well start planning for the #1 pick next year...

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

i dont mind if Vick comes to stl. It would actually add some excitement while watching the rams offense

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever View Post
    i dont mind if Vick comes to stl. It would actually add some excitement while watching the rams offense
    Incompletions and stupid throws excite me too!