Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

  1. #1
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,467
    Rep Power
    128

    Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Rams' Quinn calls benching 'a shocker'

    BY JIM THOMAS
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011

    One of the most surprising things about the Rams' season opener Sunday against Philadelphia had nothing to do with what happened on the field. Instead, it concerned who wasn't on the field.

    Among the Rams' seven designated pregame inactives were defensive end Robert Quinn and wide receiver Danario Alexander.

    In particular, the decision to sit Quinn — the team's first-round draft pick last April — was surprising and remains a topic of conversation by fans and observers.

    "It definitely was a shocker," said Quinn, chosen No. 14 overall out of North Carolina. "I expected to play. Of course, everybody wants to play. But I was 'down' (inactive), so all I could do is support my teammates."

    Because of Quinn's pass-rushing abilities, it seemed like a no-brainer he would play against the Eagles — who are regarded as a pass-first team.

    In addition, two of the Rams' four defensive ends who played against Philadelphia — James Hall (back injury) and Eugene Sims (oblique muscle) — missed practice time during the week leading into the game.

    Coach Steve Spagnuolo said it was difficult to go with nine defensive linemen against Philadelphia, and the team was concerned about the health of defensive tackle Fred Robbins, who has a back problem. (Robbins ended up playing only about half of the defensive plays against the Eagles.)

    "We had to weigh it all out, and went with four tackles and four ends," Spagnuolo said.

    It marked only the third time since the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995 that one of their first-round picks was inactive as a rookie on opening day.

    Most recently, offensive tackle Alex Barron was inactive for the 2005 season opener after being chosen 19th overall.

    Barron ended up being inactive for the first two games that season after missing 2˝ weeks and 21 practices during training camp because of a contract impasse.

    The only other "St. Louis" Rams first-rounder to sit on opening day was defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy.

    Selected 12th overall in 2003, Kennedy also was inactive for the first two contests as a rookie. He missed the first five days of camp before his contract was signed, but probably would've played in the second game were it not for a turf burn infection in his elbow that needed to be surgically cleaned.

    Before Quinn being declared inactive, the Rams' past four first-round picks had started on opening day as a rookie — from Adam Carriker in 2007 to Sam Bradford in 2010.

    But all told, only eight of the team's 20 first-round picks have started as rookies on opening day, beginning with that '95 season.

    By deciding to sit Quinn against Philly, it basically meant he was deemed only the fifth-best defensive end on the team, for one week at least.

    "I think the four ends that are in front of him are pretty good," Spagnuolo said. "What we've got to remember now, and I know we all do, Robert has had basically five weeks of football in 2˝ years or however you add that up. He didn't play at all last year and didn't have the OTA's. So it's not an indictment on him at all. It's probably a compliment to the other guys."

    Because of the lockout, 2011 rookies had no minicamps or organized team practices in the spring. Their first exposure to the NFL, other than the draft, came when they showed up for training camp at the end of July.

    Perhaps because of that, Quinn was far from the only 2011 draft pick to be placed on a pregame inactive list in Week 1.

    All told, 66 draft picks were inactive, some because of injury. That group included six first-rounders, six second-rounders and 11 third-rounders.

    Philadelphia sat its first-, second- and third-rounders. The New York Giants (like the Rams) sat their first- and third-rounders.

    San Diego's inactive list included a second-rounder and two third-rounders from the '11 draft.

    The first-rounders in addition to Quinn who were inactive in Week 1:

    • Lions DT Nick Fairley (No. 13);

    • Giants CB Prince Amukamara (No. 19);

    • Eagles OG Danny Watkins (No. 23);

    • Chiefs WR Jonathan Baldwin (No. 26);

    • Packers OT Derek Sherrod (No. 32).

    There's no doubt, however, that Quinn will play Monday night against the New York Giants because backup defensive end C.J. Ah You will miss at least one game after undergoing surgery for a wrist injury.

    At wide receiver, Danny Amendola's dislocated elbow will sideline him for about a month, and that could mean Alexander is back in action against the Giants.

    "I'm not making the decisions," Alexander said. "All I can do is just prepare myself the best I can this week and be ready."


  2. #2
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,618
    Rep Power
    43

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    All I can say is make the most out of your opportunities Quinn and DX. Please!


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  3. #3
    dgr828's Avatar
    dgr828 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    THE GOLDEN STATE
    Posts
    1,917
    Rep Power
    15

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    All I can say is make the most out of your opportunities Quinn and DX. Please!
    Here, Here! Both guys were solely missed Sunday, and could've definitely helped out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #4
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,467
    Rep Power
    128

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    All I can say is make the most out of your opportunities Quinn and DX. Please!
    Absolutely. The stage is set and it's time to make a statement.

  5. #5
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,223
    Rep Power
    108

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Here, Here! Both guys were solely missed Sunday, and could've definitely helped out.
    If both of these guys were active for the Eagles game who would have been inactive? It's easy to make them active for our next game because of all the injuries.

  6. #6
    macrammer's Avatar
    macrammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Livermore, Ca/ Arnold,Ca
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,090
    Rep Power
    28

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Not lost on me is the fact that other first rounders to sit out since 1995 are: Jimmy Kennedy and Alex Barron. Dubious company at best.

  7. #7
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,223
    Rep Power
    108

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Not lost on me is the fact that other first rounders to sit out since 1995 are: Jimmy Kennedy and Alex Barron. Dubious company at best.
    Are you serious?!

    Alex "Holding/False Start" Barron and "What time do we eat" Kennedy?

  8. #8
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Not lost on me is the fact that other first rounders to sit out since 1995 are: Jimmy Kennedy and Alex Barron. Dubious company at best.
    I think the circumstances with Quinn, were a little different to when Barron and Kennedy were drafted.!
    Spags explained it very well. He has basically played 5 weeks of football in two and a half years. NO OTA's, even come in late for this seasons camp. Ive noticed Spags is one of the most conservative coach's regarding rookies. He would rather have experience in there.?

  9. #9
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,160
    Rep Power
    75

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Lets hope Quinn takes it personally and has a huge day!

  10. #10
    eldfan's Avatar
    eldfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greenville N.C.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    25

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I think the circumstances with Quinn, were a little different to when Barron and Kennedy were drafted.!
    Spags explained it very well. He has basically played 5 weeks of football in two and a half years. NO OTA's, even come in late for this seasons camp. Ive noticed Spags is one of the most conservative coach's regarding rookies. He would rather have experience in there.?

    Ok but something seems odd to me. One if the rams feel that they are that deep in the DE spots that they can’t activate him why draft him? The team doesn’t need a project DE if they feel he is not ready to get on the field especially when he is a top pick. Why not draft a player that can play right away and help win games now? It seem like they treated him as a project player hoping for something good down the road. It’s hard to believe he could not have help in passing situations
    :ramlogo:

  11. #11
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,634
    Rep Power
    37

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Well it's certainly obvious that Spagnuolo and I disagree on almost everything as far as his philosophy is concerned, and this situation is no different in both Quinn's and DX's cases.

    In my mind, if DX is healthy there is no reason whatsoever on this team, for him to be inactive. Not one receiver on this team is better than DX when he is healthy, IMO.

    In Quinn's case, Spags sounds to me like he was making excuses for making him inactive. Come on Spags, let's just insert some common sense here.

    If the man is your best pass rusher, (and by all accounts, he is), it doesn't matter if he's played 10 minutes of football in his life, he needed to be on the field.

    His job is Michael Vick, period.

    And it doesn't take a rhode scholar to know that you could practice everyday for 10 years and not have a clue of how to catch him. But it certainly helps to have your fastest guys on the field.

    Just my humble opinion.

  12. #12
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,373
    Rep Power
    72

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    I didn't like keeping Sims over Selvie & I hated Sims being active over Quinn only slightly less. Can't say I saw him do much good. Did I miss something?

    The only argument against Quinn I can think of might have been the inexperience thing. This was obviously no common pass rush assignment; it was more a one man wildcat. Dunno that Quinn plays the run that well yet. Interestingly, it looks like that very problem happened to the NYG vs WASH; Pierre Paul got pressure but that side leaked the run a lot.

    The Dxers will never listen to any slur on their hero but I'll throw this out there, anyway. Maybe they thought it was a waste to have DX run deep patterns 30-40 times a game when those routes were seldom anything but stretchers. You give that grunt work to Gibson. If he gets loose once or twice, great. Maybe Dx would have as well but it's a low percentage play vs those DBs, either way.But even if no chances are created deep,it still helps the underneath & intermediate stuff & Gibson is healthy enough to do it all day without the same risk. DX will get a chance to prove he's more than a bomb threat soon enough but I can't blame Spags going for durable legs and proven production in Gibson & MSW plus Salas as back-up slot & returner.

  13. #13
    MoonJoe's Avatar
    MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Norco, CA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,440
    Rep Power
    42

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Not lost on me is the fact that other first rounders to sit out since 1995 are: Jimmy Kennedy and Alex Barron. Dubious company at best.
    That's exactly what I thought too mac!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

    Jack Youngblood

  14. #14
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,634
    Rep Power
    37

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I didn't like keeping Sims over Selvie & I hated Sims being active over Quinn only slightly less. Can't say I saw him do much good. Did I miss something?

    The only argument against Quinn I can think of might have been the inexperience thing. This was obviously no common pass rush assignment; it was more a one man wildcat. Dunno that Quinn plays the run that well yet. Interestingly, it looks like that very problem happened to the NYG vs WASH; Pierre Paul got pressure but that side leaked the run a lot.

    The Dxers will never listen to any slur on their hero but I'll throw this out there, anyway. Maybe they thought it was a waste to have DX run deep patterns 30-40 times a game when those routes were seldom anything but stretchers. You give that grunt work to Gibson. If he gets loose once or twice, great. Maybe Dx would have as well but it's a low percentage play vs those DBs, either way.But even if no chances are created deep,it still helps the underneath & intermediate stuff & Gibson is healthy enough to do it all day without the same risk. DX will get a chance to prove he's more than a bomb threat soon enough but I can't blame Spags going for durable legs and proven production in Gibson & MSW plus Salas as back-up slot & returner.
    Proven production???????????? Ok, now that's piling it on a little thick don't you think?

    Of the three receivers you named, only Sims-Walker has done anything that can be remotely construed as production. And that wasn't even in a Rams uniform.

    Need I remind you that were it not for a good camp, Brandon Gibson may not even be on an active NFL roster. So we're certainly not talking about replacing Isaac Bruce here. I'd be willing to bet, that if Brandon Gibson were the one injured last week, not many of us would even miss him.

    With that said, I was really referring to the activation of Dominique Curry over DX anyway.

  15. #15
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,373
    Rep Power
    72

    re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Proven production???????????? Ok, now that's piling it on a little thick don't you think?

    Of the three receivers you named, only Sims-Walker has done anything that can be remotely construed as production. And that wasn't even in a Rams uniform.

    Need I remind you that were it not for a good camp, Brandon Gibson may not even be on an active NFL roster. So we're certainly not talking about replacing Isaac Bruce here. I'd be willing to bet, that if Brandon Gibson were the one injured last week, not many of us would even miss him.

    With that said, I was really referring to the activation of Dominique Curry over DX anyway.

    If the three you refer to are MSW, Gibson, and DX, then no, I don't think I'm piling it on thick. Both had more catches, yards, games, TDs than DX last year, the thickness of the proof pile;pretty much double or more in all categories.

    I most certainly do construe 7 TDs (MSW) in a season ( actually, two years in a row, I believe) on a so-so run-first offense as more productive than one TD DX) in a so-so WCO just screaming for someone to step up. Call me wacko, I guess.

    And if we're going to talk about how we judge players in which uniform, let's talk about how 90% of DX 's potential is based on what he did in Mizzou colors at the collegiate level.I was "meh" on the MSW pick up, too, but he did look like a RZ target that Sam was starting to groove with & at least he's shown a consistent nose for the EZ over a couple of years with the big dogs.

    Salas is unproven in the regular season but he had a decent progression in the pre-season as a slot guy.Did a little more than ok in college as well,iirc, but I guess nobody's potential shown in college, pre-season,last year, or other pro colors matters to you unless it's DX.

    DX kept as a specialist WR instead of a specialist STs gunner vs one of the most dynamic returners in the NFL ? Can't go with you on the Curry thing,either. Not in a game where the match-ups/circumstances were not favorable for his big play ability to stand a reasonable chance of having even equal impact as those other guys vs The Eagles.

    You're the only person who thinks DX has shown he is is physically capable of the workload carried by a number #1 or #2.He started strong & faded in pre,imo.Even Faulk commented on how his routes & blocking looked less sharp. He may get a chance to work his way up because of injuries now & a more favorable match-up; Webster/Ross are decidedly not Asomugha/ Samuel. Let him play his way out of the specialist designation. I'd welcome it with open arms but, again, I can't blame Spags for going a different way vs Philly.

    Maybe Gibby's ceiling is limited but I wouldn't have predicted he'd get Nnamdi's sphincter winking like that last Sun, either. I like his steady climb in competence/reliability over DX's occasional flash of brilliance.MSW does need to show up more, I agree, but he DID get open a few times that I saw, inc in the EZ.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-16-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rams Inactive, Jerseys
    By sosa39rams in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -12-26-2010, 08:32 PM
  2. Calvin Johnson inactive for Lions against Rams
    By tomahawk247 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -11-01-2009, 01:04 PM
  3. Learning To Lead: The Evolution Of Steven Jackson
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -10-08-2009, 04:01 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: -09-14-2008, 12:53 PM
  5. Inactive Rams
    By dagenram in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -09-12-2006, 10:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •