Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Danario Alexander STL WR 20 306 15.3 38.2 46 1 4 2

Mark Clayton STL WR 23 306 13.3 61.2 39 2 5

Last year they both play about the same amount of time Clayton had three more catches then DX. DX avg, 2 yards more per catch. Clayton had two TD DX one. DX had 4 catches for 20 plus yards Clayton had 5. DX had 2 catches for 40 plus yards, Clayton had 0.

I just don't see a huge difference to say "When healthy DX BY FAR is our best WR". They both are very close in production as Rams and neither has done all that much.

What is it that you see to say that?
    Last year DX wasn't even close to healthy and he had numbers equivalent to our best WR most would say. When DX played he usually had 1 nice big catch and a nice first down or two to contribute.

When he played he had a big impact. The two games I can remember off the top of my head where DX went deep and caught a big pass we won. (Chargers, Broncos). Also, those games Bradford seemed to have pretty good games. Coincidence? DX opens things up underneath somewhat. If he played 60 snaps a game he'd open up a lot of stuff for guys running crossing routes or any underneath routes.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Oh, man...you are gonna hear it on that one....lol....consider yourself tagged in.
    I've already stated my case, and DX went out and proved my point. There is nothing else left for me to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I've already stated my case, and DX went out and proved my point. There is nothing else left for me to say.
    Agreed, and he proved my point as well. GO DX!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Hopefully DX is a little more more "dynamic" tonight than he was in the preseason against all the 3rd stringers. Are we all forgetting that it was a shock to most when he made the team over Avery?
    You asked for "dynamic", and that's exactly what you got, to the tune of 40.7 yards per catch against the big boys.

Tonight he caught everything he got his hands on and created all sorts of problems for the Giants defense, who had no answer for him.

I'll wait to see tangible results of this mystique before I buy into it. I'd be glad to see it happen.
    It's good to be glad, isn't it?
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -09-20-2011 at 02:16 AM.

cfh128 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    You asked for "dynamic", and that's exactly what you got, to the tune of 40.7 yards per catch against the big boys.

Tonight he caught everything he got his hands on and created all sorits of problems for the Giants defense, who had no answer for him.
    He certainly did and I will now look at him in a different light, being that when I essentially said "prove it," he proved the hell out of it

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Tonight he caught everything he got his hands on and created all sorts of problems for the Giants defense, who had no answer for him.

It's good to be glad, isn't it?
    Not really. DX beat up on a stiff of a DB a couple of times & disappeared for a long stretch of the game. Let me see it again in the next few games vs a genuine starting caliber DB group & now that he's been noticed once again then I'll be "glad' to eat my crow. I loved that he caught the ball & didn't get hurt but that's more of a sad reflection on how low the standards for WR play have fallen for The Rams.

richtree is offline Registered User

DX is the only guy that caught balls that weren't put in his sternum or face....

He made a play when Kendricks, Billy, Sims-Walker, and Salas were dropping balls...

Gibson was consistent but DX has more speed to get outside -- DX has great desire to catch the ball...

If DX stays healthy and can actually have a year of weight training and work in the offseason I think he can be a solid starter.

We really, really need Danny back and Pettis he to play eventually.....

We were awful on third down and Red Zone pass plays....

^^^THIS IS WHY WE DRAFTED PETTIS IN THE 3RD ROUND^^^^^

Is Pettis still hurt ???? -- get him in the damn game next week

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

sims walker dropped one ball.....

Not really. DX beat up on a stiff of a DB a couple of times & disappeared for a long stretch of the game. Let me see it again in the next few games vs a genuine starting caliber DB group & now that he's been noticed once again then I'll be "glad' to eat my crow. I loved that he caught the ball & didn't get hurt but that's more of a sad reflection on how low the standards for WR play have fallen for The Rams.
    In all fairness, you did say you wanted to see it in a couple of games, but make no mistake about it, it'll happen.

DX was in and out of the lineup on a situational basis, so it's pretty hard for him to not disappear during certain stretches.

He not only caught the ball and didn't get hurt, he tore it up and was a one man wrecking crew. I'm not sure what the standards for WR play have to do with Alexander's performance, by any measure, it was extremely impressive.

IMO, one thing is a given, he changes the dynamic of a game when he's on the field. I can hear the wheels turning in the heads of the Ravens defensive coaches right about now as they watch the tape on DX.

In all fairness, you did say you wanted to see it in a couple of games, but make no mistake about it, it'll happen.

DX was in and out of the lineup on a situational basis, so it's pretty hard for him to not disappear during certain stretches.

He not only caught the ball and didn't get hurt, he tore it up and was a one man wrecking crew. I'm not sure what the standards for WR play have to do with Alexander's performance, by any measure, it was extremely impressive.

IMO, one thing is a given, he changes the dynamic of a game when he's on the field. I can hear the wheels turning in the heads of the Ravens defensive coaches right about now as they watch the tape on DX.
    And the debate rages on...lol... I'll comment more specifically about your defense changer stuff after I get a chance to watch the game again but I can say right now that there are, I'm genuinely sorry to say, 3 pairs of good/bad performances last year that indicate a pretty premature assumption on your part on what DX's handful of good plays mean for the next few games.

So DX disappeared while MSW was catching balls all over the field because he's now a "situational' player? And what situation is that? Only when he gets a 1-on-1 go route chance vs a dreadful DB too dumb to touch a guy down/listen for the whistle ? Or scores a TD when 1-on1 with some 4th stringer? Yeah, DX just screams dominant #1 WR that will draw safety bracket coverage with that wicked repertoire & win some battles going toe2toe with the best on a weekly basis. Catching a slant or post every now & then would be peachy as well.

It's a good first step & hopefully we can at least cross the hands issue off the list but there's still a lot for him to prove for his automatic inclusion in any game at any time you'd expect a #1 or #2 to be in there,imo.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

I stated previously that I agreed with Azul e Oro on the Danario Alexander situation and downplayed the infatuation with him. I must amend my stance; The guy absolutely has to play if healthy. After watching him in person last night, I am convinced he has the tools to be that "dynamic" guy much more so than anyone else we have on this roster. His getting up after not being touched on the first reception was a good piece of thinking on his part. He's got the size to out-leap corners and go up for those jump balls. His TD catch was a great all-around play; the throw was perfect, the coverage was actually excellent and the catch was made anyway. That doesn't happen by accident. That's talent, my friends.

Someone on another thread surmised maybe Alexander doesn't play more because he doesn't have the strength in his knees to go for longer periods of time. That explanation makes sense, because ther'e no other plausible reason for him not to be out there much more often given the lack of quality on our receiving corps. Spags should be asked the question directly by Bernie, Jim Thomas or some other writer to gauge his thinking on this.

Pettis being inactive for the season is disturbing. You ABSOLUTELY MUST have your high draft picks be contributors- especially if you've been poor for years and are looking to turn your program around.

And the debate rages on...lol... I'll comment more specifically about your defense changer stuff after I get a chance to watch the game again but I can say right now that there are, I'm genuinely sorry to say, 3 pairs of good/bad performances last year that indicate a pretty premature assumption on your part on what DX's handful of good plays mean for the next few games.
    Looks like you're now alone in your opinion. Believe what you want to, but I think DX has shown he can't be ignored on the field.

So DX disappeared while MSW was catching balls all over the field because he's now a "situational' player? And what situation is that? Only when he gets a 1-on-1 go route chance vs a dreadful DB too dumb to touch a guy down/listen for the whistle ? Or scores a TD when 1-on1 with some 4th stringer? Yeah, DX just screams dominant #1 WR that will draw safety bracket coverage with that wicked repertoire & win some battles going toe2toe with the best on a weekly basis. Catching a slant or post every now & then would be peachy as well.
    Where in the world did you get the idea I see Alexander as a #1 receiver?? I see him as a situational player, like he was last night. The Rams are using him in specific spots, as they should. It's smart to limit his reps and protect the knee as much as possible. It's funny that you didn't put all the qualifiers on DX before last night. He plays lights out, and now all of a sudden he's making big plays only because of "dreadful DB's" and "4th stringers"? I guess that's one way to look at it.

Looks like you're now alone in your opinion. Believe what you want to, but I think DX has shown he can't be ignored on the field.

Where in the world did you get the idea I see Alexander as a #1 receiver?? I see him as a situational player, like he was last night. The Rams are using him in specific spots, as they should. It's smart to limit his reps and protect the knee as much as possible. It's funny that you didn't put all the qualifiers on DX before last night. He plays lights out, and now all of a sudden he's making big plays only because of "dreadful DB's" and "4th stringers"? I guess that's one way to look at it.
    Its the same thing as Nnamdi Asomugha. He covers #1 WR's only 13% of the time. He covers #2's majority of the time and nobody says anything there. He gets praise, DX gets hate. What can we do?

Also the Rams plan to increase DX's workload this week. I am all up for it. Keep him healthy, and he will continue to make plays. A solid player, unbelievable heart and measurables. If he can stay healthy he will be the big play threat we have been lacking and quite possible our best WR.

The original argument was whether Spags was crazy not to have that potential on the field when he had all his roster options available vs Philly, the implication being that he was the best WR on the roster by far. If that doesn't mean a #1 or #2 then WTH ?! I disagreed, said he is indeed a situational player & a project that Spags is going to have to manage carefully & use judiciously.

As to this baloney about qualifiers & my less than fervent adoration for his purported brilliance last night: if you don't think individual match-ups in specific games & reliable versatility are much more important to Spags than generalizations about talent or performance in one game , we really are going to get nowhere in this discussion. Using terms like "lights out" for that performance vs that level of competition is a little alarming & you are likely to be underwhelmed by the encore. DX made the most of the chances he got as far as I could see but, again, I haven't watched the game to see what happened when the ball didn't go his way. I'll go out on a limb & guess that Gibson, MSW, and Kendricks drew more attention than DX did. We'll see if that changes next week & whether DX can rise to the challenge if it does or even repeat his success as a situational guy 1-on-1. Once again, I'll be glad if he does.

What happens when the gameplan/opponent calls for more intermediate passes and/or Danny & Clayton are available? I think DX may be inactive again. Sadly, I think he'll do diddly in the next 3 games & have historical precedent for it. I'm not anti-DX, just pragmatic & pro-Ram. I don't care who gets the glory on the field or who was "right' on this board. I want The Rams to have the players who offer what Spags calls " consistent excellence" in any given game.

Rambos is online now Registered User

The original argument was whether Spags was crazy not to have that potential on the field when he had all his roster options available vs Philly, the implication being that he was the best WR on the roster by far. If that doesn't mean a #1 or #2 then WTH ?! I disagreed, said he is indeed a situational player & a project that Spags is going to have to manage carefully & use judiciously.

As to this baloney about qualifiers & my less than fervent adoration for his purported brilliance last night: if you don't think individual match-ups in specific games & reliable versatility are much more important to Spags than generalizations about talent or performance in one game , we really are going to get nowhere in this discussion. Using terms like "lights out" for that performance vs that level of competition is a little alarming & you are likely to be underwhelmed by the encore. DX made the most of the chances he got as far as I could see but, again, I haven't watched the game to see what happened when the ball didn't go his way. I'll go out on a limb & guess that Gibson, MSW, and Kendricks drew more attention than DX did. We'll see if that changes next week & whether DX can rise to the challenge if it does or even repeat his success as a situational guy 1-on-1. Once again, I'll be glad if he does.

What happens when the gameplan/opponent calls for more intermediate passes and/or Danny & Clayton are available? I think DX may be inactive again. Sadly, I think he'll do diddly in the next 3 games & have historical precedent for it. I'm not anti-DX, just pragmatic & pro-Ram. I don't care who gets the glory on the field or who was "right' on this board. I want The Rams to have the players who offer what Spags calls " consistent excellence" in any given game.
    I haven't watched the game to see what happened when the ball didn't go his way.
    Are you saying you need to watch the game again to see what DX does on his route when not Target?
    Or are you saying you have not seen the game yet?

I know one catch was over two DB's so he was double up and still got behind them and made the catch.

As long as he can play DX has to be getting reps period.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-20-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast