Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Quinn Calls Benching 'A Shocker' (evolution: DX inactive?)

Since the "want of it" seems to be buried in this overly argued thread... Robert Quinn DID get a sack on Manning!!!!

Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Not really. DX beat up on a stiff of a DB a couple of times & disappeared for a long stretch of the game. Let me see it again in the next few games vs a genuine starting caliber DB group & now that he's been noticed once again then I'll be "glad' to eat my crow. I loved that he caught the ball & didn't get hurt but that's more of a sad reflection on how low the standards for WR play have fallen for The Rams.
    I agree with this statement. DX has not proven one thing except he is medically unstable and can kick butt on the field at times when his knees permits. I love the guy, root for him like crazy and I love watching him play and was going nuts with his catches last night at Hooters.. But everyone is on his band wagon has to realise He is What he Is. He is not a consistant on the field player and week to week impact player. He has shown up How many games since that San Diego game to make a impact? Nowhere near being half, would expect the number to be more of a 1/4 or less of the games since then.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Someone on another thread surmised maybe Alexander doesn't play more because he doesn't have the strength in his knees to go for longer periods of time. That explanation makes sense, because ther'e no other plausible reason for him not to be out there much more often given the lack of quality on our receiving corps. Spags should be asked the question directly by Bernie, Jim Thomas or some other writer to gauge his thinking on this.

Pettis being inactive for the season is disturbing. You ABSOLUTELY MUST have your high draft picks be contributors- especially if you've been poor for years and are looking to turn your program around.
    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    In all fairness, you did say you wanted to see it in a couple of games, but make no mistake about it, it'll happen.

DX was in and out of the lineup on a situational basis, so it's pretty hard for him to not disappear during certain stretches.

He not only caught the ball and didn't get hurt, he tore it up and was a one man wrecking crew. I'm not sure what the standards for WR play have to do with Alexander's performance, by any measure, it was extremely impressive.

IMO, one thing is a given, he changes the dynamic of a game when he's on the field. I can hear the wheels turning in the heads of the Ravens defensive coaches right about now as they watch the tape on DX.
    The problem is DX is exactly that, his knee is not good enough to practice hard all week and play all game, week in, week out. That being said he is absolutely a game changer when his knee is giving time to rest and we actually target him.

I couldn't understand why we didn't send him on more fly routes and up over them little DB's.. they wouldn't be able to do turd to him even in double coverage. Anyways...
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -09-20-2011 at 06:28 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    The original argument was whether Spags was crazy not to have that potential on the field when he had all his roster options available vs Philly, the implication being that he was the best WR on the roster by far. If that doesn't mean a #1 or #2 then WTH ?!
    You've obviously dug your heels in here and seem to be taking this a bit too seriously. You have your opinion, and that's fine, but I just don't buy these assumptions you are making regarding what others are thinking. I'm all for letting DX do the talking.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    You've obviously dug your heels in here and seem to be taking this a bit too seriously. You have your opinion, and that's fine, but I just don't buy these assumptions you are making regarding what others are thinking. I'm all for letting DX do the talking.

You are absolutely right that it is DX who will have to prove that it was a mistake to make him inactive in game #1 and I hope that we can agree that his performance vs NY is only a step , albeit a very encouraging step,in making it in the Rams' best interest to keep him up in future games. I'm less optimistic than you but that doesn't mean I'm not hoping for it to happen.

And just because it wasn't you specifically who thinks he should be on the field every game as a #1 or #2, regardless of the gameplan/match-ups/practice performance does not,imo, make me stubborn or overly-serious; it just means I read all the posts pre & post game which are all over this thread and board in general & have yet to be convinced by any argument or this one game performance. To me, it's just as reactionary as calling for Salas to be benched or Spags to be fired. Both merit criticism, just as DX merits praise, but I think I'm the one keeping an open but pragmatic mind.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Fair enough. Here's to DX kicking ass next week.

JPPDPurQB is offline Registered User

let me get this right. D. Alexander caught over 100 balls from a big school and didn't get drafted with his abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by JPPDPurQB View Post
    let me get this right. D. Alexander caught over 100 balls from a big school and didn't get drafted with his abilities?
    He has a chronic knee issue that keeps from practicing alot and/or playing in games effectively. he has a ton of potential tho and has a surgery last offseason to go along with hsi 3 before. Hey is a Mizzou kid so alot of us Ram fans fight, love, and get dissappointed in him just about faster than any other Ram.! lol

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The fact of the matter is that DX came out and played great, while the guy who had his gameday roster spot last week, Greg Salas, was pretty damn awful at times. DX might not necessarily be the best WR on the team, and may not be the no. 1 receiver, i don't want to discuss that anymore.

But he should be playing. He stretches the field like no other Rams WR can. He doesn't have to start, he doesn't have to play every offensive snap, but when a guy averages just over 40 yards a catch in a game, and scores your only TD, you have to play him.

Also, I don't know if keeping him inactive was to ground him mentally, or something, but Quinn HAS to play. He has already showed better pass rush ability than Sims and Ah You.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Also, I don't know if keeping him inactive was to ground him mentally, or something, but Quinn HAS to play. He has already showed better pass rush ability than Sims and Ah You.
    I loved his face when he got up from the sack. It was like a cub getting his kill for the first time and realising he is a lion now!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quinn's benching for Game 1 doesn't come as a shocker to me whatsoever.

While you want your young stud to get reps and real NFL experience, you have to way out the pros and cons.

The con was Mike Vick. Hes the hardest quarterback to tackle in the league, aside from maybe Big Ben. Confidence is key in a maturing rookie. Now how big of a hit do you think Quinn's fragile confidence would take, as an elusive Vick slipped his grip and shot down his first NFL sack attempt. I'd say a hay maker. While that wasn't guaranteed to happen, the chance was high. Vick was slipping out of our veteran"s grasps all night.

Besides, he's rusty. We had the depth to play without him, so why not let him play his first game against Mannings immobility.

Look what happened. He took down Manning with ferocity and got the confidence boost he needed. Now we can sit back and watch him, and the team, mature.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345