Truth is offline Registered User

Rams Ranked 28th in Last 5yrs of Drafting

I found this on Foxsports.com. It certainly doesn't make me feel any more comfortable about Saturday. Here's the link for the entire article'

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL Draft Report Card - Draft report: Top eight teams of last 5 years

28. St. Louis Rams
    Current roster: 21 of 47 (nine starters). The failure to draft impact players is nothing new in St. Louis, where all but one of 24 picks between 2000 and 2002 are gone.

Best pick: Running back Steven Jackson (2004/first) is the only Pro Bowl player St. Louis has drafted this decade.

Biggest mistake: Penn State defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy never became the interior force St. Louis envisioned when selecting him 12th overall in 2003. The Kennedy flop led the Rams to select defensive tackle Adam Carriker in the first round of last year's draft.

Front office: Billy Devaney was hired away from Atlanta's front office this off-season to try and salvage what has become one of the NFL's worst drafting teams. The Rams had five first-round picks between 2000 and 2002 none of which are still with the franchise.

Comment: The Rams could have taken major strides toward rebuilding in 2006 but whiffed on three third-round picks (tight end Dominique Byrd, defensive tackle Claude Wroten and already departed linebacker Jon Alston).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Ranked 28th in Last 5yrs of Drafting

Ouch. This hurts alot. But what can you say, dumb FO movements. Devaney is probably the best thing to happen to this organization in many years.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Comment: The Rams could have taken major strides toward rebuilding in 2006 but whiffed on three third-round picks (tight end Dominique Byrd, defensive tackle Claude Wroten and already departed linebacker Jon Alston).
    This is why I don't want the Rams to trade back, they need to get one pick right!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams had five first-round picks between 2000 and 2002 none of which are still with the franchise.
    Now that's a little misleading. All but one of those picks are still in the league, just not with the team. That's not reflective of drafting, but lack of resigning.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Now that's a little misleading. All but one of those picks are still in the league, just not with the team. That's not reflective of drafting, but lack of resigning.

Doesn't that also reflect poorly on the front office, though? The draft is intended to be the way to build your team for the future. Letting the future go once its contract expires isn't how you build a team.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Doesn't that also reflect poorly on the front office, though? The draft is intended to be the way to build your team for the future. Letting the future go once its contract expires isn't how you build a team.
    I agree with PeoriaRam. I think our FO has the Trifecta of ineptitude: Drafting/Free Agency, Retaining Talent, Salary Cap Management. We are where we are for a reason. Not all of it has to do with injuries (of course, that didn't help).

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Those players that went away werent any great shakes anyhow. Here we are discussing YET ANOTHER DT being a possible first round pick. Pathetic. There is really NOTHING misleading about any of the sad numbers behind the Rams recent draft exploits. Frankly, Im STUNNED that there are actually a couple teams deemed to be WORSE than the Rams at drafting over the last 5 years. Must be last years class which elevated them from the BASEMENT.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

No wonder Devaney took the job. It's hard to get much lower than 28th. Basically there's no where to go but up.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    But the article is not about the front office in general; it's about drafting. Not being able to resign veterans has nothing to do with drafting. If anything it confirms their drafting as some other team deems them valuable enough to offer a lucrative contract.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Here we are discussing YET ANOTHER DT being a possible first round pick. Pathetic.
    So the mistakes of Charlie Armey, Mike Martz, and Lovie Smith should reflect upon the abilities of Bill Devaney, Scott Linehan, and Jim Haslett?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The road to redemption begins with drafting Chris Long, IMO.

Go Rams!:r

I wish I had a crystal ball. My only reason for picking Long over Dorsey is that we are in SERIOUS need of an outside rush. If we can't put pressure on a QB, our mediocre defensive backfield will look absolutely pathetic. I won't be angry if we choose Dorsey over Long. But I think I'll probably be a bit disappointed. Of course, all that will go away if our pick becomes an immediate impact player.

What I'm really afraid of is having the Rams pick a WR with the #2 pick (OMG, I think I just threw up in my mouth).

general counsel is offline Registered User

different guys doing the drafting now.

Also, keep in mind we were drafting in very low spots most of the time, thus, a pure comparison isnt completely fair. You dont compare a team drafting 30 to a team drafting 10. I am not saying we are the patriots, but just that its not as bad as it looks.

As for retaining players, the cap is a large part of that. We have had numerous superstars over that period of time and you cant keep a lot of players when you have five superstars at a time under your cap.

One HUGE screwup was letting pickett go (in case no one has ever heard me make that argument before)

Ramming speed to all

general counsel