Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Are the Rams really the best team in the NFC West?

BY REID LAYMANCE | Posted: Monday, October 4, 2010 11:40 am

THE WATERCOOLER: Are the Rams really the best team in the NFC West?

JIM THOMAS:

Not ready to say that. For starters, the Rams are going to have to start picking up a win or two on the road. And after so many losses from 2007 through 2009, I simply have to see more. OK, the Rams have won two in a row. But so did Jim Haslett in October of 2008. But there's no doubt this looks like a different Rams team than we've seen in recent years and the NFC West certainly looks like it's there for the taking.

BRYAN BURWELL:

The season is only four games old, so it's dangerous to make any lasting judgments on who is the best for the long term. But as we stand right now, the ***** are in turmoil, Arizona has no QB, the Seahawks offensive line is a mess and their pass defense is weak. So that leaves us with the Rams, whose defense keeps teams out of the end zone. They have a young QB who is wise beyond his experience, and suddenly they are tied for first in a division that might only take seven victories to win. So as we speak at this moment -- and it could surely change just as quickly -- yes, the Rams are the best team in the division.

JEFF GORDON:

They could become the division's best if they manage to get healthier. The Rams impressed everybody by winning back-to-back with so many players either sidelined or playing hurt. If this team can get Jackson up to full speed, regain its depth at tight end, safety and defensive tackle and build some momentum, a breakthrough is possible. As Sam Bradford matures and builds chemistry with his receivers, the passing game will become more dangerous -- assuming that the line holds up. The defense looks legit, despite all the casualties.

BILL COATS:

Right now, they probably are. The ***** were the division favorites, but they can't win a game. The Cardinals are in disarray, and the Seahawks are aging and just aren't very talented. There's no question that over the last two weeks, the Rams have played the best football in the division.

BERNIE MIKLASZ:

On one level it's ludicrous, beause we're talking about a franchise that just went through a stinking mess of a stretch, losing 44 of 50 games coming into the 2010 season. The losing has been chronic and extreme. The Rams haven't been able to win at home. They've gotten dominated -- bullied -- by NFC West rivals. And even after winning two in a row at home for the first time since 2006, and even after putting the hammer on Seattle, the Rams have much to prove. Can they win on the road? That's another big hurdle to overcome. And they'll get their chance to prove it soon; starting with a patch of schedule that begins Nov. 14, the Rams will play four of five on the road. But that's just one side. The other side is this: this division is really bad. The Rams could have the best QB in the division. They have the best RB in Steven Jackson, though the *****' Frank Gore is very good too. And while I believe San Francisco and Arizona have better personnel on defense, the Rams' defense is playing the best among the four NFC West teams. Up front, the Rams have the makings of the best O-line in the division. All of these teams have something to prove. A lot of tests. Seattle has the best homefield advantage, but can the Seahawks ever get something done on the road? Will Arizona be taken down by mediocre/poor quarterback play? Can San Francisco recover from an 0-4 start with a head coach who seems to be cracking, and with a starting QB who already is under fire from media and fans? Yes, the notion of the 2010 Rams as a first place team is pretty comical in the abstract ... at least until you look around the rest of the division. And then you realize that anything is possible. But the Rams will have to improve and stay healthy and win the games that are sitting there to be claimed. They cannot afford many more injuries, or missed opportunities.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Are the Rams really the best team in the NFC West?

The Rams have the best QB, best running back, best slot receiver, arguably best offensive line, best FS, second best MLB, second best corner, best DE, and statistically best defense.

So why can't we win this division again? What just cause we are the Rams? Nah, not gonna buy that. Why not us? We played toe to toe with the Cardinals, we dominated the chickens, and the ***** are not who we thought they were. I'm tired of people just writing off the Rams because, "well they are the Rams".

The St. Louis Rams will be NFC West champs in 2010!

drummerseahawkboy is offline Registered User

LMAO !!!! I'm gonna say one thing and one thing only if the Lambs come to Qwest week 17 you better hope its not for a tie breaker cause we know how thats gonna go. Seahawks playign for a playoff berth at home, Bradford and Qwest field equals disaster

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Being able to read this debate taking place amongst fans/those in the media across the league, in early October, 2010 is surprising, exciting, and refreshing.

Here's hoping the Rams continue to develop and come together

Quote Originally Posted by drummerseahawkboy View Post
    LMAO !!!! I'm gonna say one thing and one thing only if the Lambs come to Qwest week 17 you better hope its not for a tie breaker cause we know how thats gonna go. Seahawks playign for a playoff berth at home, Bradford and Qwest field equals disaster
    going to take alot more than a field goal, homes

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    The Rams have the best QB, best running back, best slot receiver, arguably best offensive line, best FS, second best MLB, second best corner, best DE, and statistically best defense.

So why can't we win this division again? What just cause we are the Rams? Nah, not gonna buy that. Why not us? We played toe to toe with the Cardinals, we dominated the chickens, and the ***** are not who we thought they were. I'm tired of people just writing off the Rams because, "well they are the Rams".

The St. Louis Rams will be NFC West champs in 2010!
    You sound like 49er fans all off season.....Best qb lmaoooo thats a negative Hasselbeck played horrible but when hes on his rocker I'll take the veteran with savy over a unproven rookie, second best mlb lmaooo uhhh have you heard of Lofa Tatupu, who is even your mlb. Second best corner once agin lmaoo..have you heard of Marcus Trufant, also our rookie free safety is playign better than Atogwe, best DE umm no again, ever heard of Chris Clemmons hes in the top 5 for sacks this year so far.. Im not saying the hawks will win division Im just saying you won 2 games straight now you guyz are getting cocky like the 49er fans were.

if you would honestly take hasslebeck over bradford... you might be the only seahawks or rams fan to do so.

I'd imagine we're about one more week of Hasslebeck away from the Charlie Whitehurst expirement (and subsequent failure).

lastly, Trufant is possibly the most overrated CB in the NFL. Earl Thomas is your sole bright spot in the secondary thus far.

best of luck the rest of the way... your birds will need it.

thanks for stopping by.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

You sound like 49er fans all off season.....Best qb lmaoooo thats a negative Hasselbeck played horrible but when hes on his rocker I'll take the veteran with savy over a unproven rookie, second best mlb lmaooo uhhh have you heard of Lofa Tatupu, who is even your mlb. Second best corner once agin lmaoo..have you heard of Marcus Trufant, also our rookie free safety is playign better than Atogwe, best DE umm no again, ever heard of Chris Clemmons hes in the top 5 for sacks this year so far.. Im not saying the hawks will win division Im just saying you won 2 games straight now you guyz are getting cocky like the 49er fans were.
    Clearly the only thing you do is look at stats... but hey I guess since Chris Clemons has 4 sacks this season Kyle Orton is better than Peyton Manning...

Chris Long> Chris Clemons
    Sam Bradford> Matt Hasselbeck
    Ronald Bartell> Marcus Trufant
    James Laurinaitis> Lofa Tatupu

Enough said.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Your savvy veteran QB led your team to 3 points. Total. Bradford played average and put up 20 on your D. YOu really need to take the blinkers off for that one.

Our MLB is James Laurinaitis. I wouldnt say he is necessarily better than Tatupu, but he isnt worse. I do know that Laurinaitis has led this D to being in the top 5 this year.

I saw Marcus Trufant get toasted by Mark Clayton, is that the one you mean?

James Hall is in the top 5 for sacks this year also, so what?

Like I said earlier you won 2 games straight and all of a sudden you guys come out of nowhere with the cockyness and I think its hilarious.... Im just saying. By the way Tomahawk Trufant sprained his ankle last week and he was a game time descision.

Quote Originally Posted by #39 Fan View Post
    if you would honestly take hasslebeck over bradford... you might be the only seahawks or rams fan to do so.

I'd imagine we're about one more week of Hasslebeck away from the Charlie Whitehurst expirement (and subsequent failure).

lastly, Trufant is possibly the most overrated CB in the NFL. Earl Thomas is your sole bright spot in the secondary thus far.

best of luck the rest of the way... your birds will need it.

thanks for stopping by.

Like I said above "when Hasselbeck is on his rocker"

Trufant the most overated corner LMAO !! I dont think you make probowls by being overated

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I have to admit I'm amused at the possibility that we might eclipse our win total for the last three years combined and win the division with a 7-9 record.

Rams - Best QB and RB in the division, defense that has been outstanding on third downs and in the red zone

Cardinals - Excellent receivers (when healthy), big question mark at quarterback, talented players on defense but not a great defense as a unit

***** - In theory, a close second in talent at runningback and wide receiver with the division's best defense; in practice, an extremely anemic offense and a defense that is giving up far too many points (25 points/game avg.)

Seahawks - Quarterback past his prime (hasn't had a good QB rating over the course of a season since 2007) , no true starter at runningback; not a good defense despite the individual talents of Earl Thomas, Marcus Trufant, and the linebackers
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -10-05-2010 at 07:46 AM.

NFC WEST up for grabs thats all im gonna say.. I just hope we are playing you guys for the title week 17 and not just the season finale. I can see Bradford now trying to yell to the lineman cause of 67,000 strong voices

Like I said above "when Hasselbeck is on his rocker"
    At his age, he's always in it.

thickandthin is offline Registered User

NFC WEST up for grabs thats all im gonna say.. I just hope we are playing you guys for the title week 17 and not just the season finale. I can see Bradford now trying to yell to the lineman cause of 67,000 strong voices
    you have to win some games before you can play for a title.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast