Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Are the Rams really making progress?

One simply cannot yet tell if true progress has been made. There are bright spots- the play of Steven Jackson, the promise of James Laurinaitis, the offensive line improvement, etc. There are also some black holes- lack of depth, horrendous offense, no receivers worth mentioning and poor pass rush. The record (1-7) indicates many of us, myself included were delusional in thinking this team could actually hover around .500 this season.

The jury is out on Spagnuolo and Devaney. I feel they are the right guys in their respective positions, but talk is cheap. Draft picks Devaney selected have to get it done. Spags must be creative in finding ways to win a couple before it's over. This talk about there being a "good attitude' and "players buying into Spags message" is all well and good, but I'd certainly hope that guys 8 games into a new regime wouldn't have mutiny on their minds. The attitude is good now, but to sustain it, numbers have to be chalked up in the win column.

I think the next 8 games will give us a much better picture on where we stand and what type of progress has been made. An even clearer picture will be presented around mid season next year.

Instant gratification in sports today is the reality- especially in football, where it has been proven multiple times that a team who is lousy one year can be good the next- you needn't look any further than the '99 Rams for proof. Patience is one thing, but I certainly do not want to have to wait 3 or 4 years before this team plays competitive football on a weekly basis. That's asking too much as far as i'm concerned. Good football decisions in the draft, free agency and a bit of luck with player health must be carried through to get the Rams back to respectability.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Is it me or does everyone look to spin the complete and utter disarray of the organization called the Rams. This team is horrible and going nowhere fast. St Louis post dispatch, please start calling it like it is. If it smells like it, tastes like it then guess what, no surprise, it is it! worst team in football two years running showing no promise.
    This Rams team is terrible. There you go. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Where I disagree is that they are going "nowhere fast." Billy and Spags know what they're doing and this team will improve in the near future. Come back to me in a year or two and tell me I'm wrong.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Disco dude, Capt obvious here. Good to see you take the first step in the rehab program - realizing and admitting we suck right now. I too hope we see something from Devaney and Spags. Should see that soon by how they play in 2nd half and how we draft and what FA's we sign. I still think the lameduck ownership will hamstring this org until that is settled.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Disco dude, Capt obvious here. Good to see you take the first step in the rehab program - realizing and admitting we suck right now. I too hope we see something from Devaney and Spags. Should see that soon by how they play in 2nd half and how we draft and what FA's we sign. I still think the lameduck ownership will hamstring this org until that is settled.
    Things I've seen from Devaney and Spags:

Team Unity - Players seem to be buying in to the system and foundation that they are building. There has been no groping at all - even if you try to read between the lines. If you remember how the team acted under Linehan, I'm sure you can notice the difference. Younger players have been able to step up as leaders on the team; such as Steven Jackson, who seems to revel in his new role.

Players Added - In a short time, Devaney has brought in under-the-radar guys like Daniel Fells, James Butler, Danny Amendola, Laurent Robinson, Larry Grant and Craig Dahl, all of whom have made a significant impact relative to their role on the team. It's too early to analyze the 2009 draft, so I'll leave that alone.

Players Dropped - The Rams have gone from a top-3 oldest team to a top-3 youngest team in one year. Drew Bennett, La'Roi Glover, Torry Holt, Corey Chavous, Chris Draft, Orlando Pace, etc. I'm sure there are others to be added to this list that aren't off the top of my head. Getting rid of these over-the-hill bums will open up plenty of cap space in the future.

Competence - Spagnuolo comes from a successful coaching tree, starting with Andy Reid and including Tom Coughlin. I was one of those fans that didn't even imagine the Rams could get someone like Spags, focusing on the second-tier coaches during the offseason instead. His connections and respect around the league are hard to deny, including both coaches and players.

The fact they could reel him in shows two things:

1. Billy Devaney is no joke. Anyone that's suffered through years of Shaw/Zygmunt never heard a peep from them, yet had to endure countless mistakes in FA/draft decisions. Next to those two, anyone in the industry able to show a slight resemblance of football knowledge would look like a genius, but Devaney has solid references - the respected Bobby Beathard being the first in line.

2. Chip is not selling out. He was expected to make cheap hires to fill in before he and his sister sold the team, yet he did the exact opposite of that, hiring an up-and-comer like Devaney and a hot-shot coach like Spags. If the team is sold soon (which, despite all the hype, I doubt it will be), whoever inherits the team would be foolish to replace these guys. They'd lose a lot of fans and would alienate a lot of players at the same time.

Go Rams.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -11-06-2009 at 05:52 AM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The only people who think this team / franchise aren't making progress are the people who thought this team had a chance at making the playoffs this year. I always wondered if the people claiming the Rams were going to go 10-6 were just setting themselves up on purpose so they could have a 9 months long melt against everything related to the Rams. Being in a continuous state of melt seems to be popular on the internet and talk radio.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Things to remember with Thanksgiving around the corner:
    1: Al Davis doesn't own the team
    2: There is lots of talent and nothing to show for it (RedSkins)
    3: There is no drama like the Browns
    4: The Rams have a plan--just have to wait and see

If the is a knock coming from me is that the Rams could be doing better with what they do have. It strikes me that the plays being run are based on already having the holes filled on Offense

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    1: Al Davis doesn't own the team
    Best present I've ever received.

eldfan is offline Registered User

whoever inherits the team would be foolish to replace these guys. They'd lose a lot of fans and would alienate a lot of players at the same time.
    I agree 100%.
    :ramlogo:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12