MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams receiver Laurent Robinson 'can't wait'

BY JIM THOMAS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/03/2010

Few Rams are as eager to get going on the 2010 season as wide receiver Laurent Robinson.

"I can't wait," Robinson said. "Going down last year and missing the remainder of the season, I'm anxious to get back out there and play."

Robinson was less than 2 games into 2009 when he suffered a season-ending fractured leg and ankle sprain Sept. 27 against Green Bay.

The long rehab process is almost over for Robinson, who has been on hand for the team's offseason conditioning program. He has been jogging and catching passes but can't cut or run full speed yet.

"We're working on it," Robinson said, when asked when he'll be cleared to do everything. "We'll be there pretty soon."

The plan is for Robinson to be full-go in mid May when the Rams begin the spring practices known as OTAs short for organized team activities.

"By OTAs, I'll be ready to roll, out there with the team practicing right back where I left off," Robinson said.

Robinson was acquired in a trade from Atlanta last April 6, making Tuesday the one-year anniversary of the deal. The Rams swapped fifth- and sixth-round picks with Atlanta to get Robinson. (In essence, the Rams moved down 22 spots in the fifth round and 20 in the sixth round and got Robinson in exchange.)

He was on pace for a 1,000-yard receiving season when the pile rolled up on him from behind on a second-quarter run by Steven Jackson against the Packers. At the time, Robinson was the Rams' leading receiver with 13 catches for 167 yards and one touchdown.

"I had some goals set, and I was just trying to reach them," Robinson said. "It ended early, but I'm trying to come back this year and make it happen. ... I just want to pick up where I left off."

Robinson, still only 24, had a little vacation time, but his offseason has consisted mainly of rehab, rehab, and more rehab.

"Because this is what I want to do; this is what I love to do," he said. "It's a year-round thing. You can't really take any time off. You've got to keep after it."

NO BARRON

Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe isn't the only Rams restricted free agent who is boycotting the team's offseason conditioning program. Three weeks into the program, offensive tackle Alex Barron has yet to appear at Rams Park.

Although Barron was tendered at a first-round level, the Rams are asking for only second-round compensation, an obvious sign that the team is dangling Barron as trade bait. A source close to Barron said he has been working out on his own, taking part in "his own personal boot camp."

Atogwe and Barron are among a group of more than 200 players who would have been unrestricted free agents had there been a salary cap in 2010. Since 2010 is an uncapped year, Atogwe and Barron reverted to restricted free agents..

DIGGS 'CLOSER'

The Post-Dispatch reported 2 weeks ago that the Rams were close to signing free agent linebacker Na'il Diggs. Finally, the parties are inching closer to a deal. A league source said Friday that a contract should be signed early next week.

Cut by Carolina on March 5, Diggs brings good size (6-4, 240) to the outside linebacker position as well as a reputation as a solid run defender. It's likely Diggs would step into the starting spot vacated by Paris Lenon, who signed with Arizona earlier this offseason as an unrestricted free agent.

PARKER TO WASHINGTON

Free agent running back Willie Parker liked his visit to Rams Park two weeks ago and was hopeful of signing with the team. But the Rams never offered the former Pittsburgh star a contract, saying they wanted to wait until after the draft. Parker didn't want to wait that long and agreed to terms Friday with Washington.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams receiver Laurent Robinson 'can't wait'

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

Although Barron was tendered at a first-round level, the Rams are asking for only second-round compensation, an obvious sign that the team is dangling Barron as trade bait. A source close to Barron said he has been working out on his own, taking part in "his own personal boot camp."
    Having trouble with Mass Effect 2, are we Alex?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I wonder why Barron isn't at camp, seriously. He needs as much time with our offensive lineman as humanely possible..

Just hope he's taking his medicine for those mental lapses and cuts back on the false starts if he remains with us.

Robinson's progress is great to hear and hopefully he stays healthy and has added a little muscle ot his frame.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Not worried about Barron. He probably won't be starting at LT this year anyways
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I know that injuries are a fact of football, BUT I'm getting tired of hearing these feel good stories about players returning from off season injuries just to play at at 75% for the first five games and then be re-injured so that they can sit out the rest of the season. Which of course eventually brings us to next year where the whole damn thing comes full circle and I get to read a similar article. Say what you will about these players being human, but something has to give. We have to have statically more injuries than just about any other team out there.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I know that injuries are a fact of football, BUT I'm getting tired of hearing these feel good stories about players returning from off season injuries just to play at at 75% for the first five games and then be re-injured so that they can sit out the rest of the season. Which of course eventually brings us to next year where the whole damn thing comes full circle and I get to read a similar article. Say what you will about these players being human, but something has to give. We have to have statically more injuries than just about any other team out there.
    Well we have had the turf demon to deal with for the past few years, but as I understand it we got brand new astro turf in the dome this year. So hopefully that will cut down on the problem, if we still have injuries this year then ya, the Rams are officially cursed.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    im not sure about numbers but it does appear we lose more starters than the majority of other teams...could be worse tho..least none of our players have been murdered or deliberately paralysed by gun men,scorned lovers etc...

looking at the injuries weve had as seperate cases..its pretty hard to pinpoint why its been happening or a soluton to them...a lot of these injuries were either freak accidents or in some cases caused by cheap shots from our foes.
    like already stated they have changed the surface this year and although i dont think that was to blame for many if any of last years injuries..it certainly has been a major cause of injuries in the past.
    also the head of fitness or whatever his title was, got fired,so all we can do at this point is hope those two changes help change our fortunes for the better and rid us of the curse.
    i dont think we have any more Pisa`s tho where the injuries to the players are in a large part due to their own style of playng being too much for their bodies to take.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'm a little concerned that it is 6 months after Robinson broke his leg and he still can't cut or run full speed. Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into it, but that seems like slow progress to me. We need this guy. Last season could have panned out a bit differently had he been healthy.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I'm a little concerned that it is 6 months after Robinson broke his leg and he still can't cut or run full speed. Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into it, but that seems like slow progress to me. We need this guy. Last season could have panned out a bit differently had he been healthy.
    well im sure you aware that a "broken leg" can range from a hairline stress fracture to a broken leg so bad that a player can never play again and in some extreme cases lead to an amputated leg to save the persons life..
    my memory is a little hazy at the moment but im sure there was a secondary injury caused to his leg,rather than just a simple clean break....i agree 6 months does seem a long time on face value..i guess it just wasn`t just a regular break tho.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

he got rolled on by a pile of offensivelineman from behind...ouch...

i think it was a fracture in his leg and not a clean break. I just hope he gets into camp at full speed to work with whoever is QBing this team.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

At the time, Robinson's injury was reported as being a high right ankle sprain and fractured right fibula. In early January, Nick Wagoner reported that Robinson anticipated being back in time for the offseason conditioning program, currently underway.

Obviously he's not ready yet, since this article says he's shooting for the start of OTAs in May, another two months from the January projection. So yeah, I think that's a little concerning, though with limited information on his injury and the rehab process, it's tough to say to what degree.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!