Rams' receivers getting up to speed with offense, Bradford

By The Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange
May 23, 2012

The Rams entered the offseason with a pressing need at wide receiver. When the dust settled during the priority phase of free agency, quarterback Sam Bradford still didn't have a No. 1 receiver and the team's top target in 2011, Brandon Lloyd, had signed with the Patriots.

With two trades out of the top 10 in the draft, the Rams missed out on top receivers Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd.
Finally, to begin Round Two, coach Jeff Fisher found a wide receiver the team believes has star potential, Appalachian State's Brian Quick.

Quick was missing last week as workouts began in St. Louis -- much to Fisher's chagrin, Quick, running back Isaiah Pead and wide receiver Chris Givens were with a batch of rookies participating in an NFL-sponsored media event -- and made his first rookie mistake before taking the field in St. Louis.

The mistake? Not being in position to accept communication.

"Quick got to fly a redeye back from the rookie premiere, and so of course I overreacted -- 'What are you doing putting the guys on the redeye?'" deadpanned Fisher. "Well, he had his headphones on at the gate. Didn't hear the gate change, so he missed his flight."

Quick and Givens missed two OTAs and are being monitored closely as they break in physically and mentally at warp speeds. They were able to keep up to speed with playbook study on their own and conference calls with coaches at night while at the trading card and advertising event in Los Angeles last week.

"They're fine," Fisher said. "By the end of the week, it will be almost as if they never left, but still when they're gone, you miss them. You miss some valuable opportunity."

Quick and Givens did enough to impress Bradford when they did get on the field.

"Obviously they came into the film room on Monday when a lot of the guys weren't here and saw what we did during those practices," Bradford said. "They were caught up. They know what we were doing. Everything we installed they should be fine with. As much as it would have been nice to have them on the field, I think they'll be fine.

"Givens first of all is extremely fast. I think he's a guy that defenses are going to have to be extremely aware of. If they fall asleep on him for a half second at all, he's going to be by them. I think that's nice to have, just that added speed. Then Quick, I was working with him a little bit after practice today and it's just extremely impressive watching him move. As big as he is, as tall as he is, he gets in and out of breaks really well. He's fast as well."