Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams in the Red Zone

In the red zone today, here is what the Rams did...

1-10-SF11 (6:11) S.Jackson right end pushed ob at SF 8 for 3 yards (D.Smith; A.Plummer).
    2-7-SF8 (5:44) M.Bulger pass to T.Holt to SF 7 for 1 yard (S.Spencer).
    3-6-SF7 (4:58) PENALTY on SL-R.Tucker, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SF 7 - No Play.
    3-11-SF12 (4:37) M.Bulger pass incomplete to K.Curtis.
    4-11-SF12 (4:32) J.Wilkins 30 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-C.Massey, Holder-D.Looker.
    SUMMARY: Tucker commits a horrible penalty on third down to make it a difficult conversion, Rams settle for a field goal.

1-10-SF17 (14:02) M.Bulger sacked at SF 23 for -6 yards (B.Young).
    2-16-SF23 (13:22) (Shotgun) M.Bulger pass incomplete to S.McDonald.
    3-16-SF23 (13:16) M.Bulger pass incomplete to K.Curtis (T.Parrish).
    4-16-SF23 (13:11) J.Wilkins 41 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-C.Massey, Holder-D.Looker.
    SUMMARY: Bulger sacked on first down, and the Rams can't convert second/third and long. Settle for a field goal.

1-10-SF16 (:42) (Shotgun) M.Bulger pass to T.Holt pushed ob at SF 12 for 4 yards (S.Spencer).
    2-6-SF12 (:38) M.Bulger sacked at SF 18 for -6 yards (B.Young).
    3-12-SF18 (:30) M.Bulger pass to S.McDonald to SF 15 for 3 yards (M.Adams).
    4-9-SF15 (:01) J.Wilkins 33 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-C.Massey, Holder-D.Looker.
    SUMMARY: Bulger sacked on a reasonable second and six, giving the Rams third and long, which they can't convert. Settle for a field goal.

1-10-SF22 (5:55) S.Jackson right end to SF 19 for 3 yards (T.Parrish).
    2-7-SF19 (5:17) M.Bulger pass to T.Holt to SF 14 for 5 yards (A.Plummer). Caught at SF 19.
    3-2-SF14 (4:33) S.Jackson left tackle to SF 13 for 1 yard (J.Ulbrich).
    4-1-SF13 (3:53) B.Manumaleuna left guard to SF 11 for 2 yards (J.Peterson).
    1-10-SF11 (3:10) S.Jackson right guard to SF 14 for -3 yards (D.Smith).
    2-13-SF14 (2:33) M.Bulger pass incomplete to T.Holt.
    3-13-SF14 (2:27) M.Bulger sacked at SF 23 for -9 yards (sack split by J.Peterson and A.Carter).
    4-22-SF23 (2:27) J.Wilkins 41 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-C.Massey, Holder-D.Looker.
    SUMMARY: After a great fourth down conversion, a Jackson run is stuffed behind the line, and on third and long, Bulger is sacked. Settle for a field goal.

1-10-SF15 (2:48) M.Bulger pass incomplete to M.Faulk.
    2-10-SF15 (2:48) M.Bulger pass incomplete to K.Curtis (J.Peterson).
    3-10-SF15 (2:38) (Shotgun) M.Bulger pass to I.Bruce pushed ob at SF 4 for 11 yards (A.Plummer). Caught at SF 10.
    1-4-SF4 (2:37) M.Faulk left guard to SF 6 for -2 yards (J.Winborn; T.Parrish).
    2-6-SF6 (2:30) M.Bulger pass incomplete to K.Curtis.
    3-6-SF6 (2:21) M.Bulger pass incomplete to S.McDonald.
    4-6-SF6 (2:16) M.Bulger pass to B.Manumaleuna for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught at SF 5.
    SUMMARY: Bulger went 2/6 on this drive, but managed to get the ball to Manu on the TE screen for the TD on fourth down.

So what do we see?

-Runs: 6 attempts for 4 yards, including the run on first down by Jackson from the 22, which I included since it was the start of a series of downs, and got them into the official red zone.
    -Sacks: The Rams were in the red zone five times today, and during that time, Bulger was sacked three times.
    -Passes: Marc Bulger went 6/14 (43%) in the red zone.

What does this tell us?

While I think we need to see improved play from our running backs and QB in the red zone, I honestly think it boils down to the blocking. We see running backs that can't advance the ball on the ground. We see our quarterback being sacked three times in five red zone attempts. We have third and six and a false start by Tucker pulls us back. We have first down in the red zone, and Bulger is sacked from the right side, and we're out of the red zone for the rest of the series. We try to run the ball on first down from the 11, and lose yards, then Bulger gets sacked. We run on first and goal from the four, and lose two yards. We need our offensive line to be strong when we're in this part of the field, and I don't think that's been going on. If we can get cohesion and stronger play from our offensive line, I think we'll convert more of these red zone attempts. Until then though, we'll continue to struggle with inconsistency.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Re: Rams in the Red Zone

Maybe Terrel could help push some bodies and I think Hedge is a much better lead blocker then Manu.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams in the Red Zone

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    Maybe Terrel could help push some bodies and I think Hedge is a much better lead blocker then Manu.
    I agree.Rams gotta get Barron ready,and yes maybe claude Might be better in running plays.We'll just have to see what Martz has up his sleeve.I believe there will be some changes.Hopefully The O-line can make adjustments.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild