Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rams - Redskins The RG3 Trade

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams - Redskins The RG3 Trade

First things first, it’s still way to soon to tell how the deal will payoff for both teams. That said after the first year most fans and media did not even want to wait and see what the Rams did with the boatload of picks. That was due to the great play of RG3 at the time. He was playing at such a high level it seemed the Redskins made the right move and the Rams missed out.

Now in the middle of the second year of the trade the impacts on the teams are polar opposite. The Rams are the youngest team in the NFL and the organization and fan base for the most part is thrilled with the direction of the team, even though they may not be thrilled with the team’s current record. The Rams are getting contributions from many of the players so far drafted from the trade.

The best player may have yet to arrive in St Louis as this year pick will be far higher then the 22nd pick or the 14th pick where the Rams selected Alec Ogletree and Michael Brockers.

The Redskins on the other hand maybe in for a coaching change and a new direction going forward. RG3 has brought a huge amount of talent with him but he also has brought a spotlight that burns bright. There seems to be more then the normal issues coming out of the Redskins locker room. Players and coaches seem to be in the media saying all the wrong things during this down turn. RG3 played like a super hero last year but this year he has gone from hero to zero in the eyes of many. Some fans and media calling for him to be benched and some having buyer’s remorse are think they should trade him while he has value to recoup some of those picks. This is silly for the most part as all young QBs need to develop and RG3 is no different. Many fans have high expectations and sometime are a bit unrealistic, we Ram fan know about that. But when you give up three ones and a second that has to come with far more pressure then the norm.

RG3 may become the elite QB the Redskins mortgaged their future for, we will have to wait and see. But in the short term he now has a big question mark with his play, leadership and health.

As far as the Rams are concerned it’s hard to imagine they won’t maximize that last pick. Who knows they may turn it into more then one player as they have done in each of the last two drafts.

Only time will tell how this plays out, but it does look like the pendulum has swung to the Rams side for the moment.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-27-2013 at 11:41 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams - Redskins The RG3 Trade

It was a great deal for both teams. We had to do it because our roster was SO BAD prior to Fisher being here that we needed to get as many of Fisher's players in here that we could. The Redskins needed a franchise QB and a face of the franchise and they got that. They will struggle however, because they sent us such a boatload they cannot rebuild around RG3 very quickly.

THE DREAM TEAM

Randart is offline Registered User

RG the third is a case in point of the knee taking alot of time to heal and for most players not named AP to get their confidence in that knee back. He is throwing off his front leg because of this half the time. And he panics in the pocket often also, he is probably still a season from finding his form again. I am one of his biggest critics but he does have talent, even if I think he is waaaaaaay over rated and has been from day one! If he gets it going again like he was last season confidence wise and throwing wise he may just have learned enough about being a man to make it... Big IF there imho, time will tell on the guy, however I think we scored on that deal and would do it again every day in the week! Love the talent we got from it even before last years draft and now we also have this upcoming years to look forward to!

Trevor is offline Registered User

I think he is the most over hyped player ever. I think it might be due to the fact that I live in the DC area and all I see are Redskins fans acting like Rg3 is the next coming of jesus but I don't think RG3 will ever live up to his hype. Don't get me wrong, he is talented, however, he makes very poor decisions. Most of his stats this year have been from playing catchup, AKA Garbage time. Now, just like any QB in the league, most have their "down seasons" so it'll be interesting to see how well he responds next year.

To be honest, I have been rooting for RG3 and the redskins to absolutely suck this year only because of the draft. Next year, I won't care anymore.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    RG the third is a case in point of the knee taking alot of time to heal and for most players not named AP to get their confidence in that knee back. He is throwing off his front leg because of this half the time. And he panics in the pocket often also, he is probably still a season from finding his form again. I am one of his biggest critics but he does have talent, even if I think he is waaaaaaay over rated and has been from day one! If he gets it going again like he was last season confidence wise and throwing wise he may just have learned enough about being a man to make it... Big IF there imho, time will tell on the guy, however I think we scored on that deal and would do it again every day in the week! Love the talent we got from it even before last years draft and now we also have this upcoming years to look forward to!

Correct me if I'm wrong but, RG3 tore everything in his knee. Ap only tore his ACL.

If you headed torwards Bradford, he tore just his ACL and it was a clean tear. it was on his non planting leg as well.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, RG3 tore everything in his knee. Ap only tore his ACL.

If you headed torwards Bradford, he tore just his ACL and it was a clean tear. it was on his non planting leg as well.
    No, RG3 only tore his ACL.

THE DREAM TEAM

RG3 tore his his ACL and LCL.

Chris MortensenVerified account ‏@mortreport

Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will undergo total reconstruction of knee for complete tear of ACL and LCL.

Sam Bradford only tore his ACL

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

An added benefit of the trade...

Based upon prevailing reports, if the Rams had stayed at No. 2, they probably would have selected Trent Richardson with their first pick.

Anyone here rather have Trent Richardson over Brockers, et al.?

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Based upon prevailing reports, if the Rams had stayed at No. 2, they probably would have selected Trent Richardson with their first pick.

Good point. We’ve certainly dodged some bullets in the draft recently - Justin Blackmon anybody?

I think its Brokers and Jenkins over Trent right? I would take either over him but having both is even better.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Of course hindsight is 20-20. As we speak today, the Rams certainly look to have bettered themselves at multiple positions and stand to get another couple of high draft picks in the coming seasons. But who is to say Richardson, RGIII or others couldn't have worked out for us as well? It's easy to look at guys in another situation with another team and say "well, it's good we didn't select HIM..." RGIII could've worked out for us, so could Richardson and under the watchful eye of Fisher, so could Blackmon. With all of that said, I'm glad the Rams did what they did.

In fairness to RGIII, I think he has been mishandled in Washington. The job Mike Shanahan (and more specifically his son the O-Coordinator)has done has been a disgrace. I believe they'll both pay for it with their jobs in January.

Bottom line: The Rams were right for sticking with Bradford at the time and they also stockpiled needed talent and depth in numerous areas with the RGIII trade.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Of course hindsight is 20-20. As we speak today, the Rams certainly look to have bettered themselves at multiple positions and stand to get another couple of high draft picks in the coming seasons. But who is to say Richardson, RGIII or others couldn't have worked out for us as well? It's easy to look at guys in another situation with another team and say "well, it's good we didn't select HIM..." RGIII could've worked out for us, so could Richardson and under the watchful eye of Fisher, so could Blackmon. With all of that said, I'm glad the Rams did what they did.

In fairness to RGIII, I think he has been mishandled in Washington. The job Mike Shanahan (and more specifically his son the O-Coordinator)has done has been a disgrace. I believe they'll both pay for it with their jobs in January.

Bottom line: The Rams were right for sticking with Bradford at the time and they also stockpiled needed talent and depth in numerous areas with the RGIII trade.
    Of course hindsight is 20-20. But that does not help much when a GM has to make a decision on players and trades. I agree that RG3 could have worked out for us and he still may work out for the skins IMO. I think if he came here he would have looked more like he does now in his rookie year with the O line and lack of talent on our team.

I preferred us moving back and getting more picks, it's a safer way to go IMO. I hope we do it again next year. Fisher and Les have found some really good talent in the late rounds and in the UDFA market.

Not sure how I feel about how they are handling RG3 to be honest. He does seem like a handful from the outside looking in and I do agree with you the coach will lose his job. Not sure if that's what RG3 really needs is a new system and coach in year three.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I wouldn't take Trent Richardson over Zac Stacy, let alone any of our 1st rounders.
    citr92 likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    First things first, it’s still way to soon to tell how the deal will payoff for both teams. That said after the first year most fans and media did not even want to wait and see what the Rams did with the boatload of picks. That was due to the great play of RG3 at the time. He was playing at such a high level it seemed the Redskins made the right move and the Rams missed out.

Now in the middle of the second year of the trade the impacts on the teams are polar opposite. The Rams are the youngest team in the NFL and the organization and fan base for the most part is thrilled with the direction of the team, even though they may not be thrilled with the team’s current record. The Rams are getting contributions from many of the players so far drafted from the trade.

The best player may have yet to arrive in St Louis as this year pick will be far higher then the 22nd pick or the 14th pick where the Rams selected Alec Ogletree and Michael Brockers.

The Redskins on the other hand maybe in for a coaching change and a new direction going forward. RG3 has brought a huge amount of talent with him but he also has brought a spotlight that burns bright. There seems to be more then the normal issues coming out of the Redskins locker room. Players and coaches seem to be in the media saying all the wrong things during this down turn. RG3 played like a super hero last year but this year he has gone from hero to zero in the eyes of many. Some fans and media calling for him to be benched and some having buyer’s remorse are think they should trade him while he has value to recoup some of those picks. This is silly for the most part as all young QBs need to develop and RG3 is no different. Many fans have high expectations and sometime are a bit unrealistic, we Ram fan know about that. But when you give up three ones and a second that has to come with far more pressure then the norm.

RG3 may become the elite QB the Redskins mortgaged their future for, we will have to wait and see. But in the short term he now has a big question mark with his play, leadership and health.

As far as the Rams are concerned it’s hard to imagine they won’t maximize that last pick. Who knows they may turn it into more then one player as they have done in each of the last two drafts.

Only time will tell how this plays out, but it does look like the pendulum has swung to the Rams side for the moment.
    No matter how good RG3 ends up being, I make that trade 100 out of 100 times.
    citr92 likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

I preferred us moving back and getting more picks, it's a safer way to go IMO. I hope we do it again next year. Fisher and Les have found some really good talent in the late rounds and in the UDFA market.

Mixed feelings on this one. A couple of years ago, it was the right strategy because of our many needs. But after awhile, it is expected that youth and extra draft picks translate into winning. You can't just keep collecting guys without expecting a return in the form of a playoff berth. And even shrewd football men can't expect to hit a home run every year by getting quality guys in the lower rounds. We have been patient enough. I do not wish to wait another three years for the post season and continue to use the "youth" and "inexperience" cards to justify yet again not going to the playoffs.

Two first round picks and a 2nd round pick next season, coupled with our lower round picks should be enough to get us over the hump without doing anything crazy.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -11-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast