Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Arrow Rams Redzone Stats

There was some discussion in a few threads recently about how the Rams did in the redzone. Some stats were discussed and questions were asked. The stat sights I look at do not seem to have much in the way of redzone info. Anyways, I found a good site for redzone stats and thought I would share it with those of you who might be interested. Clicking on the different categories at the top will show how the Rams ranked in that particular category.

Here is the link:
    http://apps.footballguys.com/teamredzone.cfm -- *see note

*After further review this is a chart from 2002.

Here is a link to a current chart:
    http://www.twominutewarning.com/red03.htm

:ramlogo:
    Last edited by Curly Horns; -07-13-2004 at 05:19 PM. Reason: sorry all - ferter screwed up -- so sue me

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Redzone Stats

Thanks, Ferter. That's a very interesting site. Here's a few things I couldn't help but notice. Overall, we appear to have been about average in red zone numbers last year. We ranked 17th in RZ TD% and 19th in RZ FG%. We ranked 21st in total trips to the RZ. One that I didn't realize was that the % of run plays in the RZ has us next to last. Only 42% of our plays in the RZ were running plays. I had no idea we got so pass happy last year in the RZ. And as far as Bulger, he ranked 24th last year in RZ TDs.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    One that I didn't realize was that the % of run plays in the RZ has us next to last. Only 42% of our plays in the RZ were running plays.
    Something else that's interesting to note. If you rank the teams based on percentage of passing plays in the red zone, we're ranked third in the entire league. Now rank the teams based on redzone touchdown percentage and look at the results. Notice that the average percentage of red zone passing plays for the top ten teams in this category is 45.8%. That's more than ten percent less than our percentage of passing plays! Nine out of these ten teams ran in the red zone more than they passed -- only one team in the top ten of this category passed more than they ran. Meanwhile, if you look at the league leaders in percentage of achieving no points in the redzone, only five of them ran more than they passed, and four of them passed more than they ran (one team was an even 50/50).

Therefore, I can only conclude that if we want to score more and be more efficient in the red zone, these stats would indicate that the best way of doing so is to balance out our offense and better our ground game since the teams that have the best percentage of scoring TDs in the redzone are either more balanced offensively or actually run the ball more than they do pass in these situations.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Man, I would have expected more people to respond to this.

BigGame is offline Registered User

I agree, Nick, but I think in general, people are looking forward instead of back.

Last season is, well, last season.

Hopefully, and likely, the red zone will be an area of improvement this year, and these stats will become irrelevent.

In a number of debates in other threads, the team's red zone efficiency has been brought up and discussed. I only figured that these kind of stats would continue those kind of debates and shed light on some of the misconceptions running around.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Man, I would have expected more people to respond to this.
    Nick, you remember earlier, you and I discussed a discrepancy between some red zone stats for Bulger. I believe your stats had him at 15 RZ TDs while this site had him at 10. Well, I just noticed that this site has both Ernie Conwell and Jamie Martin with the Rams. I'm wondering if maybe this link is to 2002 stats. I mean it can't be last year's stats.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman is offline Registered User

I'm wondering if maybe this link is to 2002 stats. I mean it can't be last year's stats.
    You are correct, sir!

Good pick up!

Cool Re: Rams Redzone Stats

Sorry guys, I guess I failed to dig deep enough. I went to the home page and it was current, but apparently this chart is not. Again, I apologize for the confusion. I am now still looking for a site with a similar stat chart dedicated to the redzone. So far I have not found one that I like as well as this, but I did find a current chart.

Here is the link:
    http://www.twominutewarning.com/red03.htm

Does anyone else know of a good redzone chart?

The new link appears to be from 2003, although we don't have any player names and stats on this chart to confirm with.

I can't confirm that this is indeed compiled from the 2003 season, however, everything else from the home page, in the way of stat charts, does appear to be compiled from 2003.

This is all that I have found.

If anyone else knows of a "free" redzone chart compiled from the 2003 season please post the link.