Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rams release Atogwe

rayzorram is offline Registered User

Re: Rams release Atogwe

I don't think with an 8 million dollar signing bonus this was by any means a surprise that the Rams let him go. He tested the free agent market a year ago with no one interested. I know that he played and contributed alot to the team this year but honestly he was also not the best against the run and big tight ends coming his way. If no one takes him and we resign him and safe some money then B.D's gamble pays off. We'll have to see how it pans out.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rayzorram View Post
    I don't think with an 8 million dollar signing bonus this was by any means a surprise that the Rams let him go. He tested the free agent market a year ago with no one interested. I know that he played and contributed alot to the team this year but honestly he was also not the best against the run and big tight ends coming his way. If no one takes him and we resign him and safe some money then B.D's gamble pays off. We'll have to see how it pans out.
    Those are fair points, but the Rams had the right to match any offer Atogwe got last year, which probably drove some attention away. They don't have that option this year.

That's not to say that I think Atogwe is an $8 million per year player; I doubt he gets that kind of pay day and I don't blame the Rams for not wanting to pay him that. But I would expect him to get some interest, especially with the uncertainty surrounding the actual free agency period.

Depending on how the CBA works out do you believe he is worth 8million plus his 3.5 millionsalary for a total of 11.5 mil?

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

this is a very scary risk we are taking.And with the CBA situation looking worse he isnt on the roster so theres no chance of him practicing on his own with teammates because atm he is a free agent... i rlly hope the Rams FO knows what there doing and this doesnt blow up in our face.He is a good safety and if we loose him thats another hole we will need to fill that we had established until now.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I am not a fan of this. I cannot believe we will just let him walk right now....were taking a big risk. Could it mean something? Nnamdi Asomugha? Champ Bailey?

How about drafting Prince Amukamara out of Nebraska or Patrick Peterson out of LSU?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Pretty dark day for Rams fans....maybe, though, on a brighter note, this may be the opportunity to move Jerome Murphy to safety and see how he does. He has always reminded me of a guy with a safety's mentality: hit first and cover second as opposed to a corner's skill set of cover first and hit second.

Oh well, we'll see soon enough.

WHAT SAY YE?

Here's the skinny of Jerome when it comes to laying the lumber, Murphy ranks right up there with any cornerback from the 2010 draft. In addition, the ferocious hitter also possesses exceptional speed, to go along with his prototypical size (6’1, 185). I think you're on to something that maybe Spag. will see.

thermobee is offline Registered User

How about drafting Prince Amukamara out of Nebraska or Patrick Peterson out of LSU?
    I highly doubt it, unless we move up. Im not a draft expert by any means but from what Ive seen from the so called "draft experts" they'll both be gone before we pick.

EDIT: Plus arent they corners not safeties?

itsguud is offline Registered User

Wow. Big time gamble here. I don't like it. OJ is still underrated in the NFL and a solid player in the secondary. I have a feeling we will be playing against him next year.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Hate to see OJ Maybe go.

Awesome point above on Murphy moving to FS, I was reading something about that earlier in the offseason.

Cough *Paging Bob Sanders* Cough

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I thought this as coming the day I found out about the bonus. It was basically a poison pill to force the teams back to the negotiating table or release him. It isn't uncommon in NFL contracts. Basically it was a 1 year deal with a poison pill, signed as a 5 year deal for cap purposes.

So no surprise there. Hope we re-sign him, but this wasn't unexpected, especially with the lockout looming.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Paging Bob Sanders.
    To do what? Does our IR need more star power?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Depending on how the CBA works out do you believe he is worth 8million plus his 3.5 millionsalary for a total of 11.5 mil?
    Nope, I don't think he's that caliber of player. So I can't blame the Rams for not wanting to pay it. However, it is a little disappointing that a renegotiated contract couldn't be achieved. Then again, if they're planning to resign him or upgrade by signing someone else, it could work. We'll just have to wait and see, but the initial reaction seems to be they're creating a hole where they didn't have one before. While Atogwe isn't worth the price tag the Rams would have to pay, maybe not having another area to address would be. We'll have to wait and see what they have up their sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I am not a fan of this. I cannot believe we will just let him walk right now....were taking a big risk. Could it mean something? Nnamdi Asomugha? Champ Bailey?
    Even on the off chance that either of them slipped out of the Top Ten, they wouldn't get by Houston AND Detroit.

As for Asomugha, I imagine he'll be out of the Rams' price range. Maybe this makes Champ Bailey more intriguing since he's open to a move to safety, but how much money are you really saving at that point with what he could command up front in guaranteed cash? I dunno.

If money is an issue, and it would have to be if they released him rather than paying the bonus, then I don't know that they'd go out and make a big splash free agent signing to replace OJ. Rather, they may try to bring him back at a lesser price or feel they can find a decent enough replacement elsewhere, either with a middle tier FA, a draft pick, or someone already on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I thought this as coming the day I found out about the bonus. It was basically a poison pill to force the teams back to the negotiating table or release him. It isn't uncommon in NFL contracts. Basically it was a 1 year deal with a poison pill, signed as a 5 year deal for cap purposes.

So no surprise there. Hope we re-sign him, but this wasn't unexpected, especially with the lockout looming.
    Yeah, it was essentially reported as being a one-year deal within hours or a day after the deal was struck last year. The fact that this deadline was coming up wasn't a surprise, perhaps the better reaction is disappointment that something couldn't be worked out prior to Atogwe having to be released.

general counsel is offline Registered User

What i would like to know is whether we made any attempt to sign him to a long term deal. In other words, what was the bid ask? On pure numbers, i agree that he is not worth the 11 million. On the other hand, did we try to keep him at all? The true cost here is not the full 8 million bonus, its the difference between what you would have had to pay to keep oj and the cost of the player you put in the spot to replace him.

Personally, i think he was a good, not great player, who certainly made plays but was not a particularly good tackler. The tricky thing here is the cap (rather than cash) implications, since no one knows where the CBA winds up. Its a safe bet that the cap is not going up, therefore, he was too expensive at this price. However, i would love to know if we tried to keep him, or just let him loose.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast