RamsFan16 Guest

Rams to release Coakley

Rams to release Coakley
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/27/2007

FILE PHOTO: The Jaguars running back Derrick Wimbush is taken down by the Rams linebacker Dexter Coakley.
    (J.B. FORBES/P-D)

The Rams continued positioning their roster for the start of the free agency and trading period by informing veteran linebacker Dexter Coakley on Monday that he will be released. Earlier in the day, two-time Pro Bowler Adam Timmerman got the same news from Rams coach Scott Linehan.
    Coakley signed a five-year, $14.15 million free-agent contract with the Rams in 2005, after spending his first eight NFL seasons with the Dallas Cowboys. Coakley, 34, was a starter in 05, registering 42 tackles, two sacks, and one interception in 12 games for St. Louis before suffering season-ending leg and ankle injuries Dec. 4 against Washington. In 2006, he finished with 37 tackles and two interceptions as a backup, starting five games in place of the injured Pisa Tinoisamoa.

The Rams would like to re-sign Coakley, a three-time Pro Bowler with Dallas, to a lesser contract to backup Tinoisamoa in 07.
    Another good move in my opinion Linehan and Co. If they couldn't work out a deal to restructure then cut him and try and resign him, if not we can find someone else.

I approve both of the moves today (Cutting Adam Timmerman and Dexter Coakley)

MASSIVE Guest

Thumbs down Re: Rams to release Coakley

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Another good move in my opinion Linehan and Co. If they couldn't work out a deal to restructure then cut him and try and resign him, if not we can find someone else.

I approve both of the moves today (Cutting Adam Timmerman and Dexter Coakley)
    Yes I would also have to agree with you on the moves the Rams are making.:l

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Rams to release Coakley

So he was 33 and they signed him to a contract lasting til he was 38??? What were they smoking?

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    So he was 33 and they signed him to a contract lasting til he was 38??? What were they smoking?
    they werent smoking anything, this release has been on the cards since day 1

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    they werent smoking anything, this release has been on the cards since day 1
    But don't you get a cap hit when you release someone? Why get yourself in this position if you don't have to?

Rambos is offline Registered User

But don't you get a cap hit when you release someone? Why get yourself in this position if you don't have to?
    Not in this case releasing Coakley saves the Rams $1 million.

Country Guest

It is Alston's time. Coakley is old and undersized and saves the team money that can go into free agency and getting younger.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    It is Alston's time. Coakley is old and undersized and saves the team money that can go into free agency and getting younger.
    I hate to break it to you Country but Alston is even more undersized than Coakley.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

BigGameHolt Guest

Thank God, its time for the Rams to get infused with young players who are both athletic and GOOD at their position. By releasing Coakley and Timmerman, the Rams are showing that they are not going to make the same mistakes they have made before and are willing to totally rework this defense to go along with a nice ticking offense.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameHolt View Post
    Thank God, its time for the Rams to get infused with young players who are both athletic and GOOD at their position. By releasing Coakley and Timmerman, the Rams are showing that they are not going to make the same mistakes they have made before and are willing to totally rework this defense to go along with a nice ticking offense.
    This dose not mean that he will not get resigned to a more friendly contract. Let's not forget that Coakley did a decent job replacing Pisa at the end of the season.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Alec22 is offline Registered User

i can go along with the coakly release, BUT NOT TIMMERMAN

this guy gave everything he had for 8 years only missing 1 !!! game
    and lets not pretend like he never got hurt. He was a leader and still a solid player even in his later years, im not saying he should have start in 08, but he would have been a great back up. He gave us everything and we repay him by cutting him for less than kickers money?

not right.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, let's not forget that the Rams made him one of the top salaried G's at one point in time. Timmerman got paid, he just got old and a little slow, or slower than Incognito.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

does this also mean we bring back smith to comete and help depth as well???? very interesting to see what we do in free agency to address the linebacking corp...