Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Rams release FB Mike Karney

The Rams released FB Mike Karney today per Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Karney, despite his close friendship with running back Steven Jackson, was used less and less in the Rams offensive system as the Rams tried to get more flexibility out of their fullback spot. They used Mike Hoomanawanui as a FB/TE or used Brit Miller at fullback and in special teams.

Is this true? An expected but very early move.

lukebailey is offline Registered User

Re: Rams release FB Mike Karney

I wondered what would happen to Karney given the new system that doesnt really use a fullback..shame.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Just found out and am going to confirm that it is true. Per SJ39's twitter : " I hear my bro Karney was released. I'm bummed out about the news but that's the business. He's my true friend & not just a teammate. "

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Can't say I'm shocked. Karney didn't do much and simply wasn't utilized to the extent i thought he would be.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Blocking fullbacks aren't as popular as they used to be .. and i dont think it fits with McD's offensive style.
    I personally think he is a great player, im sure there are teams that like the power running game with a lead blocker. He'll be snapped up.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Hate to see him go, but he was being used less and less as the season went on (to my disagreement on some parts, but that's for another time). It makes sense now though, especially with McDaniels's offense. He won't be a free agent too long, he's a heck of a blocking FB.

RealRam is offline Registered User

A good player, MK, that was not given the opportunity to prove his power in the Rams running game consistently.

Tough business decision but understandable. Best wishes. He'll do well.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Just Like RBs, FBs take alot of pounding and Karney was becoming less affective. I wish the best to the guy because hes got some left for someone who could use his services.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

To me this screams Madison Hedgecock all over again. We didn't really use him that much, so we cut him and he goes to New York. Where he in turn improves the run game drastically by opening up holes.

For a team that says they want to stay commited to the run and want to run better and make more holes, this seems like a move in the wrong direction. This is really going to put the pressure on the front office to fix the guard position this off-season. There is no way that Jackson can come close to running the ball effectively with no fb and the current offensive line. Sure he can bounce it outside every once and a while, but he is a north-south runner. Not a lateral

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Hedgecock, that is exactly what I thought . . .but again
    i thought the aints were crazy when they released him and went on to win the SB ... so...who knows . . .
    the best for MK

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    For a team that says they want to stay commited to the run and want to run better and make more holes, this seems like a move in the wrong direction. This is really going to put the pressure on the front office to fix the guard position this off-season. There is no way that Jackson can come close to running the ball effectively with no fb and the current offensive line. Sure he can bounce it outside every once and a while, but he is a north-south runner. Not a lateral
    I think you hit on two important points. One, it seems as if we're seeing a legitimate shift away from the "power running, ball control WCO" that Spagnuolo envisioned when he was hired. When you draft a quarterback first overall and then bring in Josh McDaniels a year later to be your offensive coordinator, you're moving towards a more open offense. But two, as you pointed out, the lack of or minimization of a fullback in the offense brings even more pressure to improve the offensive line, because you're taking an extra blocker out of the equation. Maybe the plan is to get Hoomanawanui on the field more as an H-back for times when they need that, but I agree that it certainly raises the importance of improving the interior.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Can't say I'm surprised. The new scheme and father time were both against Karney. He just wasn't delivering the hits that he did in N'awlins. I wish him well, though.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think you hit on two important points. One, it seems as if we're seeing a legitimate shift away from the "power running, ball control WCO" that Spagnuolo envisioned when he was hired. When you draft a quarterback first overall and then bring in Josh McDaniels a year later to be your offensive coordinator, you're moving towards a more open offense. But two, as you pointed out, the lack of or minimization of a fullback in the offense brings even more pressure to improve the offensive line, because you're taking an extra blocker out of the equation. Maybe the plan is to get Hoomanawanui on the field more as an H-back for times when they need that, but I agree that it certainly raises the importance of improving the interior.
    How many holes did Karney REALLY open for Jackson the past two seasons? It didn't seem to me in the games I watched that Karney was anything more than an occasional change of pace in the running game. I don't think the coaches really used the guy in the spirit in which he was brought here- which was to block for Jackson. While the Rams were on offense, Jackson was often the only RB in the backfield. Why was Karney even needed?

I said it a couple of weeks ago, and I'll echo the previous sentiments by Dr. Defense and Nick: I feel the Rams will be turning towards a more pass oriented offense in the next two years. One, Steven Jackson only has a couple of real productive years left. And two, they just drafted a franchise QB who threw for 3500 yards as a rookie with no receivers whatsoever. You don't draft a guy like this to hand the ball off 30 times a game. And as the Rams get some talent at the receiver position, this shift in philosophy will become more pronounced. That Spagnuolo would prefer a more ball controlled offense with a big back as his centerpiece isn't really important. A good coach adapts to his personnel and maximizes their talents.

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

Peace Out Mike... good guy but was wasting cap room.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    And two, they just drafted a franchise QB who threw for 3500 yards as a rookie with no receivers whatsoever. You don't draft a guy like this to hand the ball off 30 times a game. And as the Rams get some talent at the receiver position, this shift in philosophy will become more pronounced. That Spagnuolo would prefer a more ball controlled offense with a big back as his centerpiece isn't really important. A good coach adapts to his personnel and maximizes their talents.
    Thats the thing though. He is the coach. He determines who gets brought in or not. Players don't just walk through the door and say I'm playing here. They are picked up by the team because of their skills/talents/fit the schemes that are being run. Kind of upset because this is signaling him giving up on the original place, which I was really looking forward to. Too many teams just throw the ball, be nice to be one of the few teams that still likes the pound the rock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast