Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams release FB Mike Karney

Kind of upset because this is signaling him giving up on the original place, which I was really looking forward to.
    While I think McDaniels is a bigger telltale sign of a philosophical shift, I think Karney being let go is simply the release of an older player with eroding skills. Happens every day in the NFL.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I think the fact that Karney had no versatility as a special teams player also worked against him. The Rams brought in Britt Miller to play fullback AND STs and he was among the leading tacklers on kick and punt teams.

This factored in with Karney's age and the new offensive philosophy meant that his days in St. Louis were numbered.

Nice guy but time too move on.

WHAT SAY YE?

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

I agree that you could see Mike Karneys role in this offence was diminishing. I do believe he was effective during his time here, but with Josh McDaniels new system where they do not use much of a fullback this was inevitable.

With father time catching up and injuries it was time for the Rams to cut their ties. Its unfortunate, but its the nature of the buisiness in the nfl. The Rams do not owe him anything he was a free agent acquisition and I was a fan of his.

Goodluck to Mike in the future, he still has some gas in the tank and thanks for the memories.

I for one am excited about the what Josh McDaniels and company will bring to the offence next season. I cant wait to see what they will do in the offseason. Hopefully a new CBA gets put in place A.S.A.P.

Go Rams 2011

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I forgot he was on our team. : )

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I really don't like this because him and jackson had a friendship and I still think karney had some left in the tank.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I think the writing was on the wall for Karney when he was declared inactive for several games because of injury, despite the fact that Karney himself maintained he was fine and ready to go. It seems pretty clear that he was not in the future plans as a more or less one-dimentional player, and the McDaniels hiring was the final nail in his coffin. Too bad, because he did some great things when he was a more integral part of the offense, including helping his buddy Jackson gain 1416 yards in 2009.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    While I think McDaniels is a bigger telltale sign of a philosophical shift, I think Karney being let go is simply the release of an older player with eroding skills. Happens every day in the NFL.
    Its not so much Karney as what he represents. The ideal of lining up a big bruising fullback to make a hole for the running back. Those days are dead. Teams don't really care about running the ball any more. Seems like the only reason they run the ball is because they can't throw it on every down. I mean even the pittsburg steelers who were notorious for running the ball down your throat are now a passing team.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Its not so much Karney as what he represents. The ideal of lining up a big bruising fullback to make a hole for the running back. Those days are dead. Teams don't really care about running the ball any more. Seems like the only reason they run the ball is because they can't throw it on every down. I mean even the pittsburg steelers who were notorious for running the ball down your throat are now a passing team.
    I agree the FB position, as nothing more than a lead blocker, is a dying breed. However, there is still a place for that role with many teams. And I think a lot of the top runners would agree. Arian Foster has Vonta Leech. Ahmad Bradshaw has Madison Hedgecock. Michael Turner has Ovie Mughelli. Ray Rice has LaRon McLain.

But for the Rams and Karney it was the (im)perfect storm. Combine an aging lead blocker whose effectiveness was lapsing with a new offensive system that is more vertical and doesn't involved the one-dimensional lead blocker as much.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams are looking for a more versatile FB/H-Back type in the draft, one guy I'd keep my eye on is Charles Clay of Tulsa.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If the Rams are looking for a more versatile FB/H-Back type in the draft, one guy I'd keep my eye on is Charles Clay of Tulsa.
    I watched him at the senior bowl, I hope we pick him up because clay is my last name and I always wanted to play for the rams lol

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

I think it's a foolish move.. both not using him more and releasing him.. I think the full back position overall is just underused.. ( I didn;t play as a FB, I'm just sayin).. on a couple of those 3rd shorts I would of liked to of seen a shovel pass or 2 thrown karneys way..

live4ramin is offline Registered User

sjackson, I thought your last name was rules?

We didn't use Karney at all, except as a decoy in goal line situations. We couldn't penatrate the line with C4, let alone using Karney. We need guards
    Kiss my ass, football gods

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

Could be a huge mistake if they released Karney for the wrong reasons. If its because his talent fell off or wasn't productive, thats one thing, but if its because you have other plans, its a HUGE mistake. Flexibility and having options is critical, especially for special situations, like 3rd and Goal, etc., etc.

I Remember a certain FB that use to cause the Rams fits, one T. Rathman of the 49n'ers. Pass catching, power blocking, rushing, and pass blocking. Now if one can't find cleaver ways to put a FB to good use, you shouldn't be an offensive coordinator.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

my thoughts exactly.. good call dragon

Keen Eye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Could be a huge mistake if they released Karney for the wrong reasons. If its because his talent fell off or wasn't productive, thats one thing, but if its because you have other plans, its a HUGE mistake. Flexibility and having options is critical, especially for special situations, like 3rd and Goal, etc., etc.

I Remember a certain FB that use to cause the Rams fits, one T. Rathman of the 49n'ers. Pass catching, power blocking, rushing, and pass blocking. Now if one can't find cleaver ways to put a FB to good use, you shouldn't be an offensive coordinator.
    It's not about being able to put a FB to good use, it's about being efficient given a 53 man roster and 45 man roster on game days. If you have a versatile TE who can line up at TE, FB, out wide then you're creating more problems for the defense than an ordinary FB.

As the defense shuffles the defense to match up with what the offense has, it gives the offense a bigger advantage having a TE there and a defense deciding what type of rotation they want in, to defend the run or pass... a FB doesn't really help this cause.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12