Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Rams release LB Dunbar

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: BREAKING: Rams release LB Dunbar

"Rams coach Jeff Fisher wasn't pleased when linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar was suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL's policy on performance enhancing drugs."
    Rams coach Jeff Fisher wasn't pleased. To put it "mildly"!!!

As I said, Dunbar has paid a high price for that foolish mistake. Learn from this young players!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Rams release LB Dunbar

Not only did he release him, but he did it at the last possible minute! No question he is sending a message to the troops, although i won't rule out the possibility of Fisher resigning him, albeit i would be very surprised if Dunbar made it through waivers. Dunbar is the second guy who got deep into coach's doghouse this year (the other being Rockoveious Watkins) and both are gone.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Vegas, Mr. Hull was cut sometime last week. He is gone..

IMHO this just may be a gambit by Fish/Snead to enable them to resign Dunbar without having to guarantee his contract since he is a veteran.

I get that the Rams are moving on with the youth and all but let's not get carried away with it. Dunbar sure as heck ain't an old guy and he is coming off a career year. I hope that Fish sees it that way and resigns him much like they did with Kellen Clemons last year.

WHAT SAY YE?
    What makes things worse are A), I went back and edited the post to include Hull,
    and B) I think I actually knew that.

In any case, reinforces my belief in Fisher's belief in our youngsters, (not to mention WW, who is playing his true position now, as opposed to last time).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I express the same sense of bewilderment and shock as many others on this thread. With the willingness to take draft risky guys like Jenkins, Johnson and Ogletree I'm surprised that Dunbar was not only shown the door but was cut at the eleventh hour. I don't buy the salary cap argument (not much really saved here) nor the youth movement (Dunbar was hardly an old man, and Witherspoon was brought in), nor do I think Fisher made an impulsive move out of spite- he's too smart for that. I surmise in the coming days we'll see more on the subject from Fisher. There has to be more to the story than what we're seeing.
    Varg6 likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

NFL Network's Michelle Beisner talked to a Rams source who said Dunbar's failed test was not a result of PED use.

“I just want to say that I did not take a performance enhancing drug,” Dunbar said, via The Associated Press. “I mistakenly took something that prompted a failed drug test.”
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-03-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Its possible Dunbar can find a home "elsewhere" after week 4...My guess is after week 4 someone will be in need of LB, I just hope it isn't the Rams

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Cocaine is a hell of a drug

Writing on wall for Jo-Lonn Dunbar release
    September, 3, 2013

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

It was less than a month ago that Jo-Lonn Dunbar was working with the first-team defense in practice at his usual linebacker position. As of early Tuesday evening, he's no longer a Ram.

The series of events that led to the news is a bit on the strange side but the move doesn't come as too much of a surprise given all that's happened since Dunbar's suspension was first announced.

Entering the second year of a two-year deal with the Rams, Dunbar looked poised to have another strong season next to running mate James Laurinaitis and potentially cash in with a nice payday as an unrestricted free agent after the season.

That all changed on Aug. 14 when a league spokesman announced that Dunbar would be suspended for four games because of a violation of the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances. Rams coach Jeff Fisher spoke out the following day and made it quite clear he wasn't happy with Dunbar's mistake.

"First and foremost, we are very, very disappointed in his choices and his decisions," Fisher said then. "It's selfish, it hurts the team but we also see it as an opportunity to learn from a mistake, so we discussed it with the entire squad last night and I think everybody understands the responsibilities that each and every player has as far as taking care of themselves and what you can do and what you can't do."

The Rams moved quickly to demote Dunbar from the first-team defense and plug veteran Will Witherspoon in his spot. Fisher went so far as to say that upon return from his suspension, Dunbar's position would be "re-evaluated" in terms of whether or not he'd get his job back. Apparently that evaluation has already taken place, given Tuesday's news.

Dunbar's workload in the preseason was relatively limited. He played 63 snaps in the four exhibition games, including just three against Green Bay in the second contest. Dunbar's tenuous situation provided opportunities for undrafted free agents Daren Bates and Ray Ray Armstrong to get plenty of work, which each player took advantage of.

Armstrong earned the second most snaps among linebackers behind rookie Alec Ogletree and secured a roster spot with his consistent performance. When the Rams announced their cuts to the 53-man roster on Saturday, Armstrong and Bates made the team, along with fellow undrafted rookie Jonathan Stewart.

All of that came after it had long been established that Ogletree would stay on the field all three downs in nickel packages alongside Laurinaitis, a role Dunbar held in 2012.

While the Rams are clearly high on that trio of youngsters at the position, Dunbar's release probably goes a bit deeper than simply being replaced. Fisher and the Rams have made it repeatedly clear that if given the choice between a veteran and a young player with potential, they prefer not to block the young player from getting the reps needed to get up to speed.

Adding Dunbar's pending free agency to the mix as well as a salary-cap hit that was scheduled to come in at $2.3 million this season for a team tight up against it almost certainly contributed to the move as well. After the suspension, it seemed a near certainty that Dunbar wouldn't be back with the Rams.

Parting ways sooner than later allows them more flexibility under the cap and the chance to develop a long-term replacement opposite Ogletree.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

We will rally around Ray Ray Armstrong, and we will play good football...
    RealRam, Bar-bq, Tampa_Ram and 1 others like this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Cocaine is a hell of a drug

This many years later and that's still hilarious. Oh my God, that's classic,

itsguud is offline Registered User

Am I the only person here who didn't think Dunbar was that great last year? Mediocrity and inconsistency both come to mind when I think of his play. I travelled to see two Rams games last year and although he had picks in both games I still watched him bite on PA after PA and mis-read plays all over the place.

Funny enough I listed to everyone here hype him all summer and started to believe somewhat that he wasn't as bad as I witnessed... this cut makes me think that I was right all along and that Fisher and Snead also took notice and now believe they have some solid young talent that can be just as effective.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Am I the only person here who didn't think Dunbar was that great last year? Mediocrity and inconsistency both come to mind when I think of his play. I travelled to see two Rams games last year and although he had picks in both games I still watched him bite on PA after PA and mis-read plays all over the place.

Funny enough I listed to everyone here hype him all summer and started to believe somewhat that he wasn't as bad as I witnessed... this cut makes me think that I was right all along and that Fisher and Snead also took notice and now believe they have some solid young talent that can be just as effective.
    Dunbar started all 16 games last season, racking up 115 tackles, 4.5 sacks and two interceptions. Not sure that is hype. He was not very good in coverage and we all seen that. Fisher had already replaced him with Tree knowing he was a better strong-side LB.

I don't think his play had anything to do with him being cut, the Rams would love to have him for all 16 games IMO. That said he did something beyond stupid and forced the FO to take a stand. We have ton of young guys that have to understand we have a zero drug abuse policy.
    macrammer and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Thing you have to remember is that this is now a passing league. The Rams spent just as much time in the nickel, with an extra DB on the field and only two LBs, than they did in the base 4-3 last year. I think Rocky McIntosh, as the Rams 3rd Lb last year, only played 50% of the defensive snaps, with Trumaine Johnson seeing a lot of the field also.

Fact is, with Ogletree in the picture, Dunbar was a bit part player at best. And Tree is a huge upgrade over Dunbar talentwise. Spoon can play the bit part every bit as much as Dunbar, but I suspect it won't be long til we see someone like Ray Ray man that spot after a few more weeks of NFL practice/games.

We wouldn't have seen Dunbar back next year, that's for sure. And that's before the suspension. The suspension just gave this team a good reason to move on early.

I bet more comes out regarding his suspension and he could be awaiting further fines? its possible
    bradwill likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    I bet more comes out regarding his suspension and he could be awaiting further fines? its possible

Do you think it's possible he may have done something else that has triggered a further suspension?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast