Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 Guest

Rams release Timmerman

Rams release Timmerman
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/26/2007

The news was unwelcome but not unexpected for Adam Timmerman.

The Rams’ guard, a stalwart on the team’s offensive line for the better part of the decade, was informed by coach Scott Linehan late Monday morning that he was being released by the club.
    "He just said, ‘We’ve got some young guys that have a good chance of developing,' " Timmerman said. "I was like, ‘Well, OK.’ There’s not much you can say at that point."

The Rams were the NFL’s losingest team in the 1990s, when they signed Timmerman away from Green Bay in free agency after the 1998 season. Timmerman was immediately inserted into the starting lineup at right guard and stayed there the next eight seasons, playing in two Super Bowls for the Rams and earning two Pro Bowl berths.

AdvertisementTimmerman’s combination of toughness and athleticism helped the Rams compete on an equal footing with San Francisco, then the power in the NFC West. The Rams went from worst to first in 1999, Timmerman’s first season with the club, winning Super Bowl XXXIV over Tennessee. Timmerman played in 10 playoff games and two Super Bowls in St. Louis.

He was willing to play in pain, too, playing through an assortment of injuries over the years while compiling a streak of 204 consecutive regular-season and playoff games dating back to his rookie season (1995) with the Green Bay Packers.

But Timmerman missed all but one snap in the Rams’ last three regular season games in 2006 because of cracked ribs. The Rams won all three of those contests, with a young offensive line interior that included Richie Incognito at Timmerman’s right guard spot.

Incognito will open ’06 as the Rams’ starting right guard. Timmerman, dubbed one of the "Doughnut Brothers" in St. Louis (along with veteran center Andy McCollum), will attempt to find a job elsewhere in the NFL at age 35.

"I don’t have any doubts that there’s going to be something out there," Timmerman said.

jthomas@post-dispatch.com/314-340-8197
    You did great while you were here Timmerman, but your time was up!
    Last edited by RamWraith; -02-26-2007 at 06:21 PM.

jkramsfan Guest

Re: Rams release Timmerman

we just lost a very good player, time for these young guys to step up.

MSRamman Guest

maybe they'll pull a Bruce and bring him back at a more cap friendly price, be nice to have a seasoned veteran to back up the young blood.... I know, wishful thinking, but it'd be nice....

Varg6 is offline Registered User

indeed wishful thinking, I'm not pleased with this at all. Its kind of a crappy thing to do...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

bigtiger737 Guest

Yeah FO lost some more respect from me, Hope no lineman go out for a long period of time, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He probably could have stayed if he would have reduced his cap number, but I'm not sure if that was ever discussed. He couldn't have been kept at the current figure. Hopefully the Rams look for some veteran interior help though because our line is looking rather young and inexperienced in that area.

maineram Guest

Youth movement has officially begun for the O-line. They must have some high hopes for the youngsters to release him. Bringing in a veteran unless he's in his prime has a learning curve that comes with that signing. Should have restructured his deal and kept him as the first off the bench. Still may be the case but doubt it.

Maineram -

BigDaddyPace Guest

That sucks and we better sign somebody or else I will be unhappy.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

This is the worst idea that our FO has ever had. I do not see how you can just toss someone who played for your team through the pain of 3 broken ribs (as the most recent example) so that you could have the best chances of winning and then cut him. Free Agency has lost it's meaning. All it is about now is how much money you can make and how much money you can save so that you can spend it on another guy. Where has all the loyaltly gone?

MASSIVE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    This is the worst idea that our FO has ever had. I do not see how you can just toss someone who played for your team through the pain of 3 broken ribs (as the most recent example) so that you could have the best chances of winning and then cut him. Free Agency has lost it's meaning. All it is about now is how much money you can make and how much money you can save so that you can spend it on another guy. Where has all the loyaltly gone?
    What loyalty do you speak of from a club that cut the great Bruce at one time? It is the way this game is played, things have not changed.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

This is the nfl there is no such thing as loyalty. I don't see players giving the Rams a break because they gave them a chance to play.

tanus is offline Registered User

I don't understand what the big fuss is regarding this move. It is quite obvious that Timmerman's skills have diminished greatly since his prime. He simply is not worth his current contract any more, especially if he is going to be a backup.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

This is the worst idea that our FO has ever had.
    Well now that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Where has all the loyaltly gone?
    It sold its house to a gentleman named Mr. Salary Cap and then proceeded to leave town.

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    What loyalty do you speak of from a club that cut the great Bruce at one time?
    You mean the same club that proceeded to sign him back only days afterwards?

It's not as if the Rams are the only team making these kind of moves. San Fran parting ways with Jerry Rice? Dallas parting ways with Emmitt? This is how the game of football is now. It's first and foremost a business, which means not hanging onto guys for sentimentality alone.

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Adam deserved better, he deserved to retire a Ram.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I wish he could have stayed. The backup guards we had in there towards the end of the season did do an excellent job, though. I hope we'll still be good at O-line and Jackson can have him a MONSTER year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast