Thread: Rams Report

eldfan is offline Registered User

Rams Report

March 20, 2009
    The Sports Xchange
    Strategy and personnel Notes, quotes Inside slant

LB Will Witherspoon told a local radio station he won't be a middle linebacker anymore. The Rams are trying to find a middle linebacker so Witherspoon can play on the outside.

For the time being, Chris Draft will be the team's middle linebacker.

The Rams re-signed unrestricted free-agent defensive end Eric Moore and guard Mark Setterstrom. Setterstrom was slated to be the team's starting right guard in 2008, but suffered a season-ending knee injury early in training camp. The previous year, Setterstrom opened the season as the starting left guard, and suffered a knee injury in the third game, which ended his season.

The Rams did not tender Setterstrom as a restricted free agent, and likely signed him to the veteran minimum of $535,000 with a split contract in the event he's injured again.

The Rams also signed safety Craig Dahl, who has experience with the Giants in coach Steve Spagnuolo's defense. Dahl has played solidly, but has been hit by knee injuries. He spent all of 2008 on injured reserve, and was not tendered by the Giants in February as an exclusive rights free agent.

TEAM NEEDS/OFFSEASON STRATEGY

The Rams have made some key additions, but there were holes created with the releases of tackle Orlando Pace, wide receivers Torry Holt and Drew Bennett, backup quarterback Trent Green and blocking tight end Anthony Becht.

The departures of Pace and Holt created $14 million in salary-cap space, which the Rams are expected to use on a veteran backup quarterback like Gus Frerotte, and possibly depth additions at wide receiver, defensive tackle and running back. The draft could also be used for those spots. They will need about $6 million in cap space for their draft picks.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo would like to get bigger on the defensive line, where the Rams ended 2008 without a nose tackle behind starter Clifton Ryan.

The draft could also be the place where the Rams find a back capable of taking over for Jackson during games or if is injured, which has been the case the last two seasons.

TEAM NEEDS

1. Tackle: With left tackle Orlando Pace having been released and Alex Barron entering the final year of his contract, a revamping of the position is possible. In the short term, the Rams plan to move Barron from right tackle to left tackle, the position he played in college and for 15 games in 2007 when Pace was injured. That still leaves a void on the right side, where left guard Jacob Bell will work in the offseason.

2. Wide receiver: With Torry Holt and Drew Bennett released, there is no real veteran presence at the position. Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton return for their second season, and it's possible the Rams could add a receiver in free agency while still going for another young player in the draft.

3. Middle linebacker: There is a desire to move Will Witherspoon from the middle to the outside where it is believed he will be able to excel. But it can't be done unless a credible middle man can be found. The Rams have looking for that ever since London Fletcher left after the 2001 season.

MEDICAL WATCH
    No updates.

FRANCHISE PLAYER
    S Oshiomogho Atogwe: Tendered at $6.342M.

TRANSITION PLAYER
    None.

:ramlogo:

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Report

Isn't Chris Draft Smaller Than Witherspoon. Reading This Post made me Mad!!!!!!! Now I'm Not saying he can't play, But Starting MLB?????????
    Last edited by rams 24/7; -03-22-2009 at 01:28 AM.

tdog08 is offline Registered User

who else do we have?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tdog08 View Post
    who else do we have?
    Exactly, which is why I believe we need to draft Aaron Curry and possibly/hopefully James Laurinatits. I feel like a broken record but before this defense becomes respectable we need more than one starting caliber linebacker! Chris Draft, Quintin Culberson, Pisa T, Chris Chamberlain and David Vorbora are not the answers for our MLB and SOLB starters.

Phew I need to get a PayPal account so I can have a signature that claims we need more linebackers.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Exactly, which is why I believe we need to draft Aaron Curry and possibly/hopefully James Laurinatits. I feel like a broken record but before this defense becomes respectable we need more than one starting caliber linebacker! Chris Draft, Quintin Culberson, Pisa T, Chris Chamberlain and David Vorbora are not the answers for our MLB and SOLB starters.

Phew I need to get a PayPal account so I can have a signature that claims we need more linebackers.
    I agree, but Draft has played some of his best football at MLB however that was for a short time and when he was younger. Oh and let's not forget that he had a much better D-line in front of him with solid tackle play. Initiallyl I said that we should draft Crabtree, but now after the recent events I can't argue with going after Jason or Eugene, but with the 2nd round pick if Laurinatis is there (which I doubt) I say we go after him; we have to find a long term solution at MLB.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Why don't we draft someone, via the draft, it doesn't have to be Curry, maybe there is some talent there, at the MLB position, in the latter rounds. We could still use our no.1 pick for an OT. We do have more than "ONE" pick in the draft,right???