Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams Report: Alexander watches Rams workout

Rams Report: Alexander watches Rams workout
    BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Monday, August 2, 2010 3:43 pm

Danario Alexander is scheduled to fly out of St. Louis tonight -- for a free-agent visit to Seattle.

But the former University of Missouri standout wide receiver apparently is in no hurry to leave Rams Park.

After completing his physical and a workout for the team Monday, Alexander watched the Rams' Monday afternoon practice from a second floor balcony.

Alexander still plans to be on the flight to Seattle, but maybe the Rams have other ideas. Coach Steve Spagnuolo will address the topic after practice.

Alexander met with Rams officials earlier today. Afterward, he wrote on Twitter:

"The visit was great!! We are definitely going to keep in contact."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Report: Alexander watches Rams workout

Good, guy has alot of talent and maybe he can stay healthy.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Dear Danario,

Your future is with the Rams. Enjoy your visit in Seattle -- turist wise -- but please make plans to develop your talent and career with the Rams. Bradford is a good budy of mine and I believe you and he can also become good friends and succeed as productive teammates.

All the best ... with the Rams.

Sincerely,

Keenum is offline Registered User

Danario, have fun in Seattle, tour the Space Needle, and then get back to St. Louis and start your career here!

Since we already have this thread here about D.A., I'm posting this new article which has me hopeful as well, i.e., from the little I know about this prospect WR and it's all been good (except injuries but that seems like old news).

Alexander hopeful after visit with Rams officials
    BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:10 am

Wide receiver Danario Alexander left St. Louis without a contract offer, but his Monday visit with the Rams went well, and the team will stay in touch.

"We had a really good visit with him," general manager Billy Devaney said. "He's a classy, classy kid. Everybody in the building was glad to meet him. Everything we had heard about him was true.

"We'll continue to monitor his training, stay in touch, and see where we are as we go along."

As Alexander left Rams Park for a flight to Seattle he will visit with the Seahawks today he sounded hopeful about signing with the Rams.

"The Rams seemed like they're pretty interested, so we'll see what happens," Alexander told the Post-Dispatch. "I met Spags and he seemed like a good guy and seemed pretty excited to see me. I got a good vibe from everybody I met there."

Alexander met coach Steve Spagnuolo briefly before the Rams practiced Monday afternoon. Alexander watched practice from the comfort of the second-floor balcony at Rams Park, along with two former University of Missouri teammates, quarterback Blaine Gabbert and wide receiver Wes Kemp.

Alexander said he passed his Rams physical, which included both an X-ray and an MRI exam. But despite earlier indications to the contrary, Alexander did not work out for the Rams on Monday. Devaney had said earlier that the Rams didn't need to see Alexander work out; they know what he can do on a football field if healthy.

Alexander had a stellar 2009 season for Mizzou but saw his NFL plans stalled by a left knee injury suffered at a Senior Bowl practice in late January and subsequent surgery. He went undrafted and wasn't cleared to play and practice until two weeks ago.

"It's been a long process, ever since the (NFL scouting) combine, watching guys work out and knowing that I was better than some of them," Alexander said.

Alexander said his knee "feels great. It's great to be able to do what I want. I'm just waiting for the call."

Of course, that call could be from the Seahawks, but it's a risk the Rams are willing to take. Alexander held a pro day in Houston after he received medical clearance, and said he ran a 4.4-second 40-yard dash and posted a 41-inch vertical leap. But since he was medically cleared so recently, he may need another week or so of training before he's ready for the rigors of camp.

So far, the Rams and Seahawks are the only teams that have requested visits with Alexander. After he leaves Seattle barring a contract agreement there he will return to Houston and continue training.

Alexander's career at Mizzou was stalled by three earlier operations on the same knee. But he blossomed last season with 113 catches for 1,781 yards and 14 touchdowns. Mizzou fans would like nothing better than to see Alexander start his NFL career in the Show-Me State. And the thought is appealing to Alexander.

"It would be kind of neat to play for the Rams based on the fact that my college fan base was here in Missouri," Alexander said.

As for what he saw on the practice field Monday at Rams Park, Alexander was impressed with quarterback Sam Bradford.

"It was good to see Sam out there," he said. "I thought he made some pretty good throws, and was pretty much on target all day."

Naturally, he spent a lot of time eyeballing the wide receiver corps.

"Of course," Alexander said. "And the DBs. Donnie Avery seemed like he caught pretty much everything thrown his way. And Mardy Gilyard showed me something and made some pretty good catches. It was good to get a look at what I may be up against there."
    Someone please Twitter this to the D.A.!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Four operations on the same knee?!! Hmmmmm...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

"We'll continue to monitor his training, stay in touch, and see where we are as we go along."
    Translation: "I like you, but I don't know if I like like you."

If the Rams are seriously interested in Alexander - and I think that's up for debate based on their letting him leave without a contract with his next stop being a division rival - then the practice squad is probably the most realistic spot for him, especially if he won't be ready to participate in camp for another week or so.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Translation: "I like you, but I don't know if I like like you."

If the Rams are seriously interested in Alexander - and I think that's up for debate based on their letting him leave without a contract with his next stop being a division rival - then the practice squad is probably the most realistic spot for him, especially if he won't be ready to participate in camp for another week or so.
    As an Alexander fan, (and as much as it pains me to do so) I have to agree with Nick.

They can rosy up the report however they want to, but it sure sounds like DA is much more interested in the Rams than the Rams are in him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

From what I've read of the guy, the Rams should sign him simply due to his ability to be a great role model for other young players with respect to work ethic.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This just in from Jim Thomas on his live chat regarding the Rams' take on Denario Alexander:

Fan in Fort Worth: Since D. Alexander passed his physical, why in the world is he allowed to go to Seattle for a visit without an offer?

Jim Thomas:
    1.) Since Danario didn't get medically cleared until two weeks ago, he might not physically be ready for the grind of two-a-days.
    2.) He has been hurt often over the past several years, maybe the Rams still wonder about that _ why he continually gets hurt afte being cleared to play.
    3.) Even if he signs a minimum split contract (which provides some financial protection for injuries), the Rams are still out $225,000 if he shows up to camp and then suffers a season-ending injury.
    4.) One of the interesting things about what Devaney told me is that the team is going to monitor his training. So maybe they revisit this in a week or two.
    5.) The Rams have a good relationship with the agent. So even if Seattle wants to make a move on Alexander, I think the Rams would still get a chance to sign him because I think Danario likes the idea of playing in Missouri.

peramoure is offline Registered User

I sent him a message on facebook so he'll be here. Count on Big Dave to make some things happen. Word. ;-)

Meanwhile it appears Alexander is leaving Seattle without a contract. -- Joel Thorman, SB Nation - Kansas City, Aug. 3, 2010
    Now, it wouldn't hurt to sign this youngster as a FA, would it?