RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams report: Bulger fling regains zing

By KEN SUGIURA
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 01/11/05
    ST. LOUIS — The zing has returned to St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger's right arm.

Sidelined for two games after bruising his right shoulder in the 12th game of the season, Bulger has played exceptionally since. In the three games since returning, Bulger has completed 67 of 98 passes for 988 yards, with six touchdowns and three interceptions.

Going into the Rams' NFC divisional playoff game against the Falcons on Saturday, his passer rating is 108.7 in the past three games, all victories. His rating was 90.5 before the injury.

In the Rams' 27-20 NFC wild-card victory over the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday, Bulger fired the game-winning touchdown pass to tight end Cam Cleeland through a tight window.

"I tell ya, no question [in the difference] in arm strength," Rams coach Mike Martz said Monday. "He's got some zip on the ball, which is pretty remarkable. It's one of the reasons he was throwing the deep balls so doggone well."

Against the Seahawks, Bulger had six completions of 21 yards or longer, including pass plays of 50 and 52 yards to wide receivers Kevin Curtis and Torry Holt, respectively.

Earlier this season, Bulger said he might have first injured the shoulder in the team's first game against the Falcons, the second game of the season, but didn't tell anyone.

Jackson still in doubt;

'Lazarus' likely to play

Defensive end Tyoka Jackson (sprained right ankle), who did not play against Seattle, might not play against the Falcons, either. All other players on the roster should be able to play, Martz said. Left guard Tom Nütten, playing on a torn knee ligament, aggravated the injury and left the game but is expected to be ready Saturday.

"Since 1999, his nickname has been Lazarus," Martz said. "He's always raised up."

Martz gives his squad

an extra day of rest

The Rams, who returned home from Seattle early Sunday morning, will come in today for meetings, but will not begin practice until Wednesday.

Usually a team playing a Saturday game will begin practice Tuesday, one day earlier than normal. Martz wanted to give the team extra rest. St. Louis had a short week for its last regular-season game, having played on Monday night in the week prior, and then had another short week for its wild-card game on Saturday.

Chandler-to-Bulger

misses connection

Backup quarterback and former Falcon Chris Chandler had trouble communicating plays to Bulger on two occasions against Seattle, forcing the team to burn timeouts when Bulger didn't hear the play call in the earpiece in his helmet.

Said Martz, "I called the play [on the headset, to Chandler, and [Chandler] was sending it in, and Marc had this quizzical look on his face."

RamTime Guest

Re: Rams report: Bulger fling regains zing

Chris Chandler had trouble communicating plays to Bulger on two occasions against Seattle, forcing the team to burn timeouts when Bulger didn't hear the play call in the ear piece in his helmet. Said Martz, "I called the play [on the headset, to Chandler, and [Chandler] was sending it in, and Marc had this quizzical look on his face. "
    I think Chandler cannot wait for this season to get over with and I wouldn't doubt if he's playing games. He's Been around long enough to where he could fool the most seasoned NFL coaches. Look how long he has played a Backup roll. Why the hell is Martz using a middle man to send in the plays anyway? Why can't he do like Gruden and Shanahan and I presume most coaches and get in his QB's ear. Oh wait, maybe that's not such a good idea after-all. There is probably a good reason for it. I guess. Maybe to teach Chandler which plays are running plays and which plays your suppose to throw the ball.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Martz always wants his back-up QB to be his b*%$#. At least since I've seen him as coach he has!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

theodus.....enlighten me. How on this Earth did you get that synopsis from the quote?

the question I was reffering to was, Why is Martz having someone else calling in the plays.And it was just a little dig on one of his power trips with his back up QB. Enlightened?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Sort of. However, lots of coaches use the backup QB to call in the play. Keeps them sharp in case they have to go in.

We all new this I thought ,But I've heard over the years Martz is pretty hard on his back-ups. And I'm sure Chandler is A little pissy , given all his years in the league! :redface:

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

So - Chandler is screwing up on purpose! Did I get the wrong read on this or what?

I can't believe he would -there is "pissy" then there is pissed to the point of sabotage. Still cannot see Chandler doing that though.

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

Lets just say Chandler could be less than motivated right now since he will probably not be back with the Rams next year.

I always wondered why the calls go from Martz, to the backup QB, then into Bulger. This process seems to take additional time as opposed to Martz sending the play directly to Bulger.

Clearly having the backup QB understand what’s going on has some advantages, but couldn’t he just listen to the play calling?

If anyone understands how this process works, I would appreciate their comments. Including who and how the personnel packages are set.

GO RAMS !!