RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Report Card: All-around, the defense struggled

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/30/2006

Quarterback
    Bulger had a 100-plus passer rating for the 5th straight contest, and 300-plus yards for the 4th time in 5 games.
    GRADE A-

Running backs

Jackson had his highest per-carry average (4.7) since Week 2, and 139 yards rushing-receiving. But Davis' fumble was a killer.
    GRADE B-

Wide receiver
    Chargers kept Holt in check, but Bruce logged his 2nd 100-yard game of the season; Curtis and McDonald scored TDs.
    GRADE B

Offensive line

A pretty good job; one of Merriman's sacks came against a back, another came on an out-of-sync fake reverse.
    GRADE B

Special teams
    Will the Rams find an effective kickoff returner in our lifetime? Tony Fisher got a chance and was far from scintillating.
    GRADE C-

Defensive line
    A bad day at the office. Couldn't get to Rivers, and allowed 216 yards rushing and 6.2 yards per carry.
    Grade F

Linebackers
    Share the blame for the porous run defense; Witherspoon was beaten twice by Tomlinson on big pass plays.
    GRADE D

Secondary
    The return of Brown helped, but Chargers picked on Travis Fisher, and Atogwe missed a tackle on Tomlinson's 2nd TD run.
    GRADE D

Coaching
    Whether it was blitzing or not blitzing, whatever Haslett tried, it wasn't working Sunday. The defense continues to regress.
    GRADE C

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Report Card: All-around, the defense struggled

I dont think the defense is regressing. I think the quality of the opponents are improving. I fear that it is what it is, which wouldnt be a good sign for our playoff chances. I dont care if we bring 8 guys on the pass rush, we have to find a way to get to the qb. good teams are not going to beat themselves with multiple turnovers very often if you cant put pressure on the qb.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sunflame is offline Registered User

but denver Hb didnt make a career day out of our defense. I mean they did very well, but not 230 total yard with 3 td.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sunflame View Post
    but denver Hb didnt make a career day out of our defense. I mean they did very well, but not 230 total yard with 3 td.
    Denver ran for 161 yards with a 6.4 yard per carry average. If they would have ran the ball as much as San Diego did, Denver would have collected 225 yards against us. That's not exactly far from San Diego's 216 total rushing yards.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Country is offline Registered User

The defense is clearly the weakest unit on the team I just hope that this game against the Chargers was an abbiration and not the norm. Getting Pina back will help but the Rams need some players to stand up.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    The defense is clearly the weakest unit on the team I just hope that this game against the Chargers was an abbiration and not the norm. Getting Pina back will help but the Rams need some players to stand up.

Given that the Rams D is ranked 6th worst in the NFL I would have to say this is the norm. The last 2 games the D hasn't gotten a turnover to bail them out like they did in the first 5 games.