Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams Report Card: Both lines rate a 'D'

Rams Report Card: Both lines rate a 'D'
    By BILL COATS | Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 12:10 am

OAKLAND, Calif.

QUARTERBACK: Sam Bradford was sharp early; he finished the first half 9-of-11 with a glitzy 142.0 passer rating. But things turned dramatically in the third quarter, and only improved slightly in the fourth. Not a bad day for the rookie, considering that he was sacked three times and harassed often. GRADE: C+

RUNNING BACKS: After an impressive start, Steven Jackson managed just eight yards on five carries in the second half. He wound up with 75 yards on 19 tries, plus 50 yards on four receptions. His blitz pickup wasn't nearly as good as it was last week. GRADE: C+

RECEIVERS: Danny Amendola showed some grit, popping up after a nasty tackle and going across the middle for another catch on the next play. Mark Clayton scored touchdowns on both his catches. But the WRs should be getting more separation and producing more. Only two receptions by the TEs. GRADE: C-

OFFENSIVE LINE: Jackson had some room early, but it was tough going in the second half. The pass blocking was mediocre, at best. GRADE: D

DEFENSIVE LINE: The Rams didn't blitz much, and the four-man front didn't get much pressure on the QB. RB Darren McFadden pounded out 107 yards in the second half along. DE James Hall had a strong outing, but otherwise it was a mostly unproductive showing for the unit. GRADE: D

LINEBACKERS: MLB James Laurinaitis was active after a so-so showing in the opener. OLBs Na'il Diggs and Larry Grant were OK. Decent job against TE Zach Miller. GRADE: C+

SECONDARY: Raiders threw for 231 yards -- 162 in the second half. CB Ron Bartell and S Oshiomogho Atogwe both committed personal-foul penalties. CB Bradley Fletcher was solid in coverage. Rookie CB Jerome Murphy's interception set up the Rams' late TD. GRADE: C-

SPECIAL TEAMS: In a two-point loss, K Josh Brown botched a 36-yard FG in the first quarter. Rams gave up a 53-yard return on their first punt. Overall, Rams coverage was OK, their returns just so-so. Donnie Jones dropped three of seven punts inside the 20. GRADE: D+

COACHING: Rams failed to adjust to new Raiders QB Bruce Gradkowski, the defense getting steamrolled in the second half. After going blitz-crazy last week, DC Ken Flajole was far less aggressive. Rams had better balance on offense -- 28 pass plays and 21 runs -- but 14 points won't win many games. At some point, the Rams are going to have to find a way to stretch the field to keep defenses honest. GRADE: D+

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Report Card: Both lines rate a 'D'

I disagree with his grade on the d line. I thought we did blitz and get pressure on the qb... it's just Gradkowski was able to scramble and make plays.

I also think the reason they probably didn't look as good in the second half as the first was due to the struggling offense. 3 and outs over and over again will wear a defense out because they have no time to rest.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I didn't see much pressure from our d-line at all. I'm not sure but it seemed like spags stopped blitzing in the second half. *I do remember James Hall standing out on a few plays.

ManofGod is online now Registered User

I agree w/ everything except for the fact that Fletcher was "solid" in coverage....I didn't see that at all in either game.

Toicat is offline Registered User

Guys, I don't know how to go about grading this team because they are putting in some real effort and coming up with the same result. Sometimes ya just have to call it what it is...and it is not pretty. AZ and OAK are teams that we should have taken down. I don't like the play calling at all. Sam is a developing QB and the receiving corps is not being taken seriously by the other teams. Steven Jackson is no surprise, and the defensive coaches from the opposing teams KEY on him. One-dimensional offense is the easiest of all to guard against. We MUST get to 2-2.

Best to all !