Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams Report Card: Coaching rates an F

Rams Report Card: Coaching rates an F
    By BILL COATS | Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 6:32 pm

TAMPA, Fla. -- Here are the grades for the St. Louis Rams after Sunday's 18-17 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

QUARTERBACK: Sam Bradford had an 89.6 passer rating, but that was misleading. Bradford did toss two TDs and wasn't intercepted. But he wasn't close to sharp, misfiring badly on several passes. He completed just half of his 26 passes and amassed only 126 yards through the air. GRADE: D+

RUNNING BACKS: Steven Jackson averaged a solid 5.0 yards per carry and, with 110 yards, went over 100 for the third week in a row. He also surpassed Eric Dickerson as the Rams' career rushing leader. Kenneth Darby and Keith Toston added 26 yards on six carries. The Rams finished with season-high 161 yards on the ground. GRADE: A-

RECEIVERS: On a day when Jackson was the team's leading receiver (35 yards on two catches), none of the Rams' wideouts or tight ends mustered more than 29 yards. TDs by WR Danny Amendola and TE Michael Hoomanawanui. GRADE: D

OFFENSIVE LINE: Jackson had some room to operate and Bradford generally was well protected. A couple of false-start penalties on linemen in the fourth quarter hurt. GRADE: B

DEFENSIVE LINE: Three more sacks -- all by linemen -- boosted the season total to 20. QB Josh Freeman was chased from the pocket several times. Run defense was good until rookie LeGarrette Blount got rolling in the third quarter. GRADE: B

LINEBACKERS: James Laurinaitis dropped an interception on a drive that produced a Bucs FG. Larry Grant committed a 15-yard penalty on a drive that also resulted in a FG. Na'il Diggs had a couple of nice pass breakups. GRADE: C-

SECONDARY: Banged-up unit actually was OK in coverage. Some nice tackling by rookie CB Jerome Murphy. Decent effort overall. GRADE: C+

SPECIAL TEAMS: Donnie Jones dropped three of his four punts inside the 20, although he averaged just 33.3 yards net. Rams returns were fair, as was their coverage. GRADE: C

COACHING: Hideous clock management at the end of the first half. Rams called two timeouts, hoping they'd get the ball back, but instead handed the Bucs more time to get a crucial FG. OC Pat Shurmur was aggressive and creative in the first half, predictable and uninspiring in the second. Where was WR Danario Alexander? DC Ken Flajole blitzed a fair amount, but they didn't produce much. Ultimately, all share culpability for a timid second half that spawned an ugly collapse against a mediocre opponent. GRADE: F

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Report Card: Coaching rates an F

I love Laurinaitis but OLB is steadily creeping up my wish list come draft or free agency.

I will never claim to know a lot about football but it seems to me we just give up too much 5 to 15 yards from the line of scrimmage.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

we are in need of a OLB, SS, WR, RB *speedy back*.. maybe a CB?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xkidflowx View Post
    we are in need of a OLB, SS, WR, RB *speedy back*.. maybe a CB?
    I really think Craig Dahl is solid at SS. I agree with the OLB only because Diggs is old. WR I will agree with but not the most important right now. Speedy back could be a possibility although Kenneth has impressed me thus far.

I really think a DT or DE would make our line one of the best in the NFL. Robbins and Hall are both old.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

yeahh a DE is a good one too... i wanna get Demarco Murray from OU since bradford and him have chemistry.. we can definiatly get him in the 2nd round.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I don't see how it is even debatable. WR is the area of greatest need, regardless of who returns next season. But even if the Rams get a #1 type next year, without more imaginative play calling in the second half of games, this problem won't get fixed.
    Semper Fi!

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

Coats NAILED it. I agree 100% with his grade. This game is on the coaches.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I really think Craig Dahl is solid at SS.
    Solid? Ever see him against a receiver in open space? He's a solid ss alright, solid backup on any respectable team. Not to mention he is slow. But as far as the draft I dont know where that RB from Alabama will fall but I hope its the 2nd round (Richardson)

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I really think Craig Dahl is solid at SS. I agree with the OLB only because Diggs is old. WR I will agree with but not the most important right now. Speedy back could be a possibility although Kenneth has impressed me thus far.

I really think a DT or DE would make our line one of the best in the NFL. Robbins and Hall are both old.
    OLB is a need for sure. We need one more DT, and one more DE also, right on man ...

Why in the hell Darby is not getting 8-12 touches a game is boggling to me. He creates trouble in space ....

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    I don't see how it is even debatable. WR is the area of greatest need, regardless of who returns next season. But even if the Rams get a #1 type next year, without more imaginative play calling in the second half of games, this problem won't get fixed.

In 100% agreement. A bunch of substitute teachers out there. No one to stretch the defense, no big game threat. The numbers yesterday against a mediocre opponent speak for themselves.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Let's not forget our 2 best receivers have been lost for the season. (Avery & Clayton) I still say a good back-up RB or even a RB that will be able to take over for Steven Jackson someday is our biggest need.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

You see, one thing I have noticed with our receivers is that they tend to be productive in the first couple games they arrive here. The reason? Defenses didn't plan for them, they don't know how they play.

Then after a few weeks, defenses start keying in on them, and once again, they are shut down. Look at Robinson. You could maybe even say Clayton. Alexander maybe. Gibson.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I really think Craig Dahl is solid at SS.
    Watch him try to cover man to man sometime, especially on a crossing or drag route. He either doesn't have the athletic ability to stay with his man or he's late to reading the play and can't recover. He's a good situational or back-up player, but that's certainly a starting position we could upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    In 100% agreement. A bunch of substitute teachers out there. No one to stretch the defense, no big game threat. The numbers yesterday against a mediocre opponent speak for themselves.
    Hey, I'm a substitute teacher! I resemble that remark!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Hey, I'm a substitute teacher! I resemble that remark!
    What's your 40 time Nick?
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Let's not forget our 2 best receivers have been lost for the season. (Avery & Clayton) I still say a good back-up RB or even a RB that will be able to take over for Steven Jackson someday is our biggest need.

They've gotta be on the field to make an impact. With the investment, wisely, in Mr Samtastic, getting him weapons, reliable weapons is mucho importante for this team.
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast