throwback week

eldfan is offline Registered User

Rams Report Notes

USA TODAY

NOTES, QUOTES

—During Senior Bowl week, coach Steve Spagnuolo sounded as if hiring a quarterbacks coach to replace the retired Dick Curl and work with new offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was a probability. Now, it looks like it might not happen.

In late January, Spagnuolo said, "I have some names. We'll probably start having to bring some people into St. Louis. But we're in no real rush. We want to get the right guy, and I want Josh to feel good about him, too, and the rest of the staff. Josh has done it both ways as a coordinator. Josh has had a quarterback coach, and has not had one. He'll still have a lot to do with the quarterback even if we do have a quarterback coach."

Speaking at the Scouting Combine Thursday, Spagnuolo said, "I'm not sure we're going to do anything at all. I feel comfortable with Josh handling that aspect it if necessary. If the right person is available, I'd go in that direction, but my thought at this time is I may not hire one."

—Released on Feb. 18 before an $8 million roster bonus was due, FS Oshiomogho Atogwe visited the Redskins Feb. 22 but received no contract offer. Atogwe said he had no further visits planned.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo said of Atogwe, "We're still talking to O.J., so we just don't fell like that's over."

Asked about whether S Darian Stewart has potential to be a starter, Spagnuolo said of the 2010 undrafted free agent, "I think he can get there eventually, whether he'll be at that point when we get this thing going this year or not, that remains to be seen. But I think he's got the qualities to do it. You know we played him at that nickel WILL linebacker spot and I thought he gave us some things there talent-wise. So he's certainly a guy that plays into the picture now."

Added general manager Billy Devaney, "I thought he showed a lot of promise last year when he was on the field. He's got a lot of upside and we expect him to make a big jump this season."

—Spagnuolo said WR Donnie Avery is doing well in his rehab from a knee injury that cost him the entire 2010 season. "He looks great," Spagnuolo said. "He's kind of taken it to a new level. Just with his weightlifting and his training and his running around. He's at a good point right now."

As for the possibility that players rehabbing could be impacted by a potential lockout, Spagnuolo said, "If that happens, they'll rehab at other places, and our staff has done a great job in case that happens with placing them in certain spots. So I think it'll work itself out."

—In addition to WR Mark Clayton, the Rams have also had some talks with potential free-agent DT Gary Gibson about re-signing. Other players that could become free agents include OL Adam Goldberg, TE Daniel Fells, CB Kevin Dockery, WR Laurent Robinson and DT Clifton Ryan.

Said Demoff, "We've had dialogue with a number of the agents of a number of the players. And I'm hopeful that there may be some instances where we're able to get a deal done before the deadline."

Ryan played only one game last season because of persistent migraines. He said he is fine now, but he hasn't had contact since September.

"The migraines have subsided," Ryan said. "As far as me being a Ram, I don't make those decisions. I'm a ballplayer; a pretty decent one when healthy. I'm going to let my agent handle the business side. My job is focusing on being the best football player I can be in 2011.

"I just want to play football at a high level. I don't make personnel decisions. I just want an opportunity to be a part of the greatest game on earth again."

Part of the testing he did to check out the problem was being exmained by Dr. Joseph Maroon, a noted neurological expert from Pittsburgh.

Agent Tom Condon told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "He's doing fine. He's been working out at Michigan State and hasn't had any recurring problems with his head."

—Last offseason, RB Steven Jackson swam with sharks while on vacation. This year, he visited Australia and New Zealand, and was actually in Christchurch just two days before a devastating earthquake hit the town.

Jackson sent a tweet that said, "Just wanted to let everyone know I'm OK. God watched over me. I got me out of Christchurch two days ago."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I had a game on the line, end of the game, I dropped a ball and we lose the game basically and I'm like 'Yeah, it happens.' It's devastating, it burns but you don't know it know, that burn, you are going to use that and progress and be a great receiver." - WR Mark Clayton on talking to and counseling WR Danario Alexander after he dropped two passes in the Rams' season-ending loss to Seattle.

:ramlogo:

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Report Notes

I'm still hoping we can get something in writing with OJ before another team swipes him up.

sjacksonrules is online now Registered User

Re: Rams Report Notes

I believe oj will give the rams a chance to counter offer he seems like a good guy.