Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Rams Report: Sporting News: "Rams expected to..."

Rams Team Report
    Print this | E-mail this | Comments on this article: 0 User comments

Posted: April 15, 2007

Jim Thomas
    For Sporting News

DECISION MAKERS: The Rams give their head coaches a lot of leeway in the draft room, although team presidents John Shaw and Jay Zygmunt have veto power. Tony Softli now is in charge of player personnel, and it is unclear how much he will influence coach Scott Linehan.

DRAFT BUZZ: The Rams are expected to make a serious trade offer for Panthers DT Kris Jenkins, who would fill their biggest need. Acquiring Jenkins would give the team great flexibility; it's possible they then could take Ohio State WR/KR Ted Ginn with the 13th pick. Ginn could revive the team's return game and be groomed to replace WR Isaac Bruce in a year or two.

TARGETING: After finishing 31st in run defense, the Rams need a wide-body at nose tackle. If they can't land Jenkins, they'll have to find help in the draft. They seem lukewarm toward Michigan's Alan Branch, who may be an underachiever. Louisville's Amobi Okoye (6-2, 301) is an exciting prospect but lacks the ideal size to play nose tackle. If neither player is around at No. 13, the Rams will consider Nebraska DE Adam Carriker and Arkansas DE Jamaal Anderson. Though the team acquired RE James Hall from the Lions, it still needs to develop an edge rusher to complement LE Leonard Little. Carriker has a reputation as an excellent run defender. The other top priorities are a backup for RB Steven Jackson and a return man if Ginn isn't the first pick. Linehan likes big backs, and Penn State's Tony Hunt, Arizona's Chris Henry and Rutgers' Brian Leonard all weigh 226 pounds or more. A back with return potential, such as Florida State's Lorenzo Booker, also could be considered. The team needs to draft an offensive tackle to groom behind starters Orlando Pace and Alex Barron and add interior line depth.

Jim Thomas covers the Rams for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

RamsFan16

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Report: Sporting News: "Rams expected to..."

"Acquiring Jenkins would give the team great flexibility; it's possible they then could take Ohio State WR/KR Ted Ginn with the 13th pick. Ginn could revive the team's return game and be groomed to replace WR Isaac Bruce in a year or two."

I don't understand that if they made that move. Why sign Drew Bennett to that deal then take a wr with the 13 pick.
    :ramlogo:

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Bennett is going to take over for Bruce in a year or two. Until the coaches can do something to fix our horrible, I said it, horrible defense, I will be physically sick if we go offense in round one.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

there is only 1 offensive player i would take in r1, its Calvin Johnson, and we have no shot at him.
    Built RAM tough

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Smizzhfx View Post
    Bennett is going to take over for Bruce in a year or two. Until the coaches can do something to fix our horrible, I said it, horrible defense, I will be physically sick if we go offense in round one.

Good way to put it, Smizz. I agree. Going for a WR in the 1st is jumping the gun and I fully trust the Rams know that, they know that all too well. The key need and priority is at defense. Yes, ST is also in need of a revamped kick return Ram but this, IMO, still does not supersede a DL on D-day one.

Again, I'll have to respond to reporter Jim Thomas with a ... "Are you kidding me? You have gotta be kidding me."

BigGame is offline Registered User

Anyone else think Linehan may be encouraging Thomas to wite about these Ginn possibilitis to fuel a fire that may force some team to trade up? I know a lot of us agree it is smoke, but do you think Linehan is encouraging Thomas off the record?

blood85 is offline Registered User

If we can't get a DT, why don't we go after an LB or DB? We still could use some help in those areas.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Or a waterboy. Lets be realistic people, no-one has brought up th eidea that a solid starting waterboy might be there at the 13th pick!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm beginning to lean towards Reavis in RD 1. That would give us a solid secondary for years to come and also help on ST.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Aaron Ross at corner, I know he's the 3rd corner on most boards or even fourth but he fits with Hasletts schemes, a physical corner that's good in man coverage.. Why don't we go for linebacker? Because of the salary cap. A bunch of us have said that it's stupid to pay a first round linebacker first round money if he's going to play 2 downs, since someone needs to come out on third down or nickel situations. We just don't have it if we want to good help on the defensive line, and continue to pay the superstar offense.

Country is offline Registered User

Jenkins would be a huge pick up for the Rams and if need be I will go down to St. Louis and carry his baggage for him.

2[52] and TE Dom Byrd

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Good to read from somewhere of recent that we're still in the mix of acquiring Jenkins..

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Ginn could Holt's replacement, Holt is smsart and may get out while he is still on top.
    Not only that, Holt has a career in the booth! But I still know we need DDDDDDDDDDDFENCE
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Country is offline Registered User

Ginn would be a wasted pick, if the Rams get Jenkins they should go after Anderson, Nelson or Okoye.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Bite your tongue theo, Holt's way too young and productive to think about retiring. Besides they'll be saying somebody else is going to be the next big thing next year, and next year, and the next year....etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast