MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams' Robinson eager to contribute ..

Thursday, Jun. 17, 2010
    BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- The last few weeks of Organized Team Activities have been more than just light practices for St. Louis Rams wide receiver Laurent Robinson. They've been an extension of his rehab from leg injuries that prematurely ended his promising 2009 season.

"I think he'd tell you the same, but I don't think he's 100 percent back yet," Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "I think it's like Reggie Scott, our trainer, has said. This is the best rehab he can get. He's healthy enough where he can go out there to do this. Your body does the things you have to do on the football field when you're out there practicing."He's fighting through it. Really, he and Keenan (Burton, patella injury), they're basically still in rehab."

Robinson vowed to be 100 percent by the start of training camp later this summer. "They said the best thing for me is to go out there and do actual football drills and stuff just to get through the soreness and get back used to the cutting and stuff," Robinson said. "It's working out good. I'm pushing through it, and I'm getting better every day. "By training camp, I'll be ready to go, ready to roll."

Robinson missed the final 13 games of the 2009 season after suffering a fractured leg and a sprained ankle in Week 3 against the Green Bay Packers. Robinson was injured when the pile rolled up on him from behind on a run by Steven Jackson with 1:41 left in the third quarter of the Rams' 36-17 loss to the Packers.

Robinson walked off the field at the Edward Jones Dome after the injury, but then was taken by cart to the locker room. He underwent surgery and then began the rehab process that is finally getting closer to a conclusion. "Honestly, I didn't know it was that bad," Robinson said. "I walked off with a little bit of a limp. I didn't think it was going to be that bad. It was a frustrating injury watching from the sideline, but that's in the past now, and I'm ready to move forward and get back on the same track as last year."

The Rams acquired Robinson from the Atlanta Falcons in a trade on April 6, 2009. They swapped fifth-round and sixth-round picks with the Falcons in the 2009 NFL Draft -- moving 22 spots in the fifth round and 20 spots in the sixth round -- to get Robinson.

Robinson had 11 catches for 132 yards and one touchdown after two games last season, putting him on pace for 88 catches and 1,056 yards. Entering his fourth NFL season, Robinson has the most experience of any of the 10 wide receivers on the Rams' roster.

Robinson feels like the Rams' receivers -- many of whom got valuable playing time last year due to the wave of injuries that hit the unit -- are better than people are giving them credit for being. "People are going to talk because we don't have a big-name receiver, but we're all working hard and getting better every day," Robinson said.

Rams notes

The Rams took a Popsicle break during practice Wednesday.
    Spagnuolo said the idea for the Popsicles came from defensive tackle Fred Robbins. "For probably the last five days, my man Freddy Robbins would hit me after special teams or whatever with, 'Coach, when are we getting a Popsicle break,"' Spagnuolo said. "This was the first Freddy Robbins popsicle break. I gave him a whole box. I don't know if he ate a whole box."

* The Rams cut five players Tuesday, and a sixth Wednesday as linebacker K.C. Asiodu was released. They'll need to cut six more players before the start of training camp to get down to the NFL limit of 80.

* The Rams will hold their final OTA practice today before breaking until training camp opens July 28 for the rookies. Veterans report July 30 with the first full-squad practice set for July 3

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' Robinson eager to contribute ..

Ahh, I remember getting popsicle breaks during football practice when I was in like fourth grade... man those were the best kind of breaks. Good times.

Oh, and I really have faith that LR is going to surprise a lot of people, especially those people who say the Rams don't have a true Number 1 WR. The man just needs to stay healthy, and I have a feeling this is gonna be the year he really makes an impact in the league.
    Last edited by C-Mob 71; -06-17-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: got caught up with popsicles...

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Out of everybody in our WR, Robinson is the one I'm most looking forward to seeing on the field this year. If he stays healthy, I think he has a good shot at being our #1 WR this year.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

One fun thing for a Rams fan is the fact that all of our receivers have tons of potential, but just need some polish (and better QB play obviously). To me, this means that any one of these guys could break out for a big year. It will be interesting to see who its going to be. Robinson is a popular and logical choice since he started out so well last year. But all I keep hearing about is how pretty Bradford's deep ball is, so I think we might see a breakthrough year from Donnie Avery.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    One fun thing for a Rams fan is the fact that all of our receivers have tons of potential, but just need some polish (and better QB play obviously). To me, this means that any one of these guys could break out for a big year. It will be interesting to see who its going to be. Robinson is a popular and logical choice since he started out so well last year. But all I keep hearing about is how pretty Bradford's deep ball is, so I think we might see a breakthrough year from Donnie Avery.
    If Sam's throwing off his back once the pads go on, one wonders how "pretty" it will be then. As the O-line goes, so goes Jackson, Bradford, and his receivers. We have to have some improvement in the 2010 version of our O-line, both in health, and in developing the talent we do have .. Let's hope Jackson can count on improved run blocking this season. I am hoping for the best along with everyone else !!

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I just love the popsicle break thing. Just picture Robbins waddling up to Spags, all sweaty with a big smile on his face, can i have a popsicle now please mr? Like a fat kid at an ice cream van

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Well, I certainly HOPE he's eager to contribute.

Especially not contributing for 3/4 of the season last year. He better be hungry.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Robinson looked completely like a #1 receiver when he was on the field, so as long as he can get rid of the injury bug, he could do great things for us this year. I really want him to be a steal for us.
    I believe!

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

..I had almost the exact same injury this year, back in March. (Playing rugby)

A spiral fracture of the left leg. Broken tibia, fractured lower fibula, and partially sprained/fractured ankle...

Was in full caste for 4 weeks....then half.....then out..

That was three months ago, and I'm now back playing sport. That said the ankle IS still sore, and in a semi permanent state of mild swelling.

But I don't play pro sport, so I guess he will have a longer rehab period.

All the best to him, he is a great receiver for us.