Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Milan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Rookie Jersey Numbers

I don't believe you can make a player give up his number.

Jeff Feagles traded his number twice for vacations.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Bettis?

He is NOT a Ram. He doesn't consider himself even one scintilla as being a Ram. He hates the Rams and I don't hate him but don't want him being given any reverance as a Ram. Give #36 to anyone who wants it. The more the merrier.

Now, Terrell wearing #75 is another matter. That number should NOT be worn by anyone again, ever.

Hmm, Max, I wasn't aware of 'The Bus' having any hatred towards the Rams. I know that being the Rams Rookie of the Year & MVP in 93 doesn't secure any love for the team but I just didn't think there would be bad blood from JB towards us. He seems too smart for that even though there is no denying he is "not a Ram".

In any event, I agree with you about No. 36. It could / should go to any Ram player at any time.

Rams numbers that probably should have been retired:

75 as you pointed out, and 74 and 85 and 78. Wow, too many? But those names ... they are the essence of NFL and Rams glory.
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-14-2007 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Format

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Seeing all those names brought back some great memories. Thanks RealRam.

PS. You didn't label Marlin McKeever as passed away. Died in '06.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    PS. You didn't label Marlin McKeever as passed away. Died in '06.
    Yes, I remember we even had a thread last year on the passing of this great LB/TE, the Rams MVP in 1971. The notation is now inserted (post #14, jersey 86). You reminded me also of Lamar Lundy jersey number 85, our former DE and long-time pillar of the Fearsome Foursome, passed three months ago.

Thanks for the excellent catch FTNHTR.

Will be exciting to see which 2007 rookies are given a Rams jersey to play in reg. season game(s).
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-15-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Format

max
    max is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Hmm, Max, I wasn't aware of 'The Bus' having any hatred towards the Rams. I know that being the Rams Rookie of the Year & MVP in 93 doesn't secure any love for the team but I just didn't think there would be bad blood from JB towards us. He seems too smart for that even though there is no denying he is "not a Ram".
    Got a lot of Steeler fans in my area. They tell me Bettis scoffs at the Rams, and doesn't have any good feelings toward them. The impression the Steeler fans give me is that Faulk is more of a Colt than Bettis is a Ram. That should put it into context for us.

Btw, the Steeler fans love Bulger. Wonder why??

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    Btw, the Steeler fans love Bulger. Wonder why??
    Bulger played football in Pittsburgh in high school. They keep track of the locals.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Brian Leonard #36...reminding me more and more of Jerome Bettis every day...

max

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Bulger played football in Pittsburgh in high school. They keep track of the locals.
    Yes. I was being funny. Bulger went to Central Catholic HS in Pittsburgh, same HS as Dan Marino. Bulger was a National Honor Student there. When the NFL Today crew asked Marino how he did there, Danny boy responded, I was just trying to graduate.

My Pittsburgh fan buddies tell me that Pitt didn't want Bulger. They went with an inner city kid instead. Don't remember the name. So Bulger goes to West Virginia, and destroys Pitt for 3 years, setting all kinds of records against them. After one of his big games against Pitt, Bulger says, I guess I'm good enough to play there, huh?

The Steelers fans are convinced that Bulger would have won a couple of SB's already if he played for the Steelers.
    Last edited by max; -05-15-2007 at 07:19 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I have to believe it's a very tough thing for a franchise to retire a players number.

Take the RAMS for example. The team has been in the NFL from 1937-present. There have been alot of great players over the years. A handful of prominent numbers have been mentioned in this thread. (28,29,40,74,75,78,85) I'm sure there's more.

What I'm getting at is that really 1-99 are the numbers available for current players. I suppose 0 and maybe 00 could be used. An NFL team carries a 53 man roster. Plus they have the practice squad. Alot of numbers need to be available on an annual basis so retiring numbers is a tough thing. If numbers were retired in the NFL like they are in the NBA we would see players with triple digit numbers on their backs???

Just food for thought.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Personally I don't think numbers should be retired at all. Instead, just do the Ring of Honor thing. Retiring numbers, especially as much as some teams do, puts too many crazy restrictions on the limited amount of numbers available.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

max

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Personally I don't think numbers should be retired at all. Instead, just do the Ring of Honor thing. Retiring numbers, especially as much as some teams do, puts too many crazy restrictions on the limited amount of numbers available.
    You have a good point. Maybe they could comprimise. For example, just don't give out Olsen's #74 to anyone. Should be a stud lineman. It could get trickly though.

I would have a hard time watching a guy wearing #74 getting embarrassed. Imagine if Kennedy was wearing #74? Where do I go to throw up?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12