RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams' rookie learns strong safety

ST. LOUIS (AP)-- After being named the starter at strong safety by coach Mike Martz before training camp began, St. Louis Rams rookie Jerome Carter chose to work like he needed to earn a roster spot.

"I came into this situation with my eyes open and ears open," Carter said. "I didn't know what to expect, just that I expected to work hard.

"It was a good feeling being named the starter but make no mistake, I've got to continue to work hard and get better. I'm the kind of person who demands a lot out of myself."

Anxious to begin, Carter became the first rookie to sign his contract shortly after the draft on April 28.

"I was elated to be playing in the NFL," Carter said.

For Martz, the rookie got off to a good start in camp, but has leveled out.

"When things start going real fast now, he's made some mistakes in coverage," Martz said. "He needs to get that cleaned up."

Carter earned a reputation as a hard hitter at Florida State, a strong defender of the run who needs work in pass coverage.

"I know I've got a few things to clean up," Carter said. "I know I've got a long ways to go and a lot to learn."

However, Martz is confident Carter can work out his problems and contribute. His on-the-job training will continue when the Rams open preseason play Friday night at home against the Chicago Bears.

"He's got four games in the preseason to get it right," Martz said. "We need to hang in there with him because he's a real fine player."

Carter has caught the eye of veteran wide receiver Isaac Bruce.

"I don't really like mentioning rookies, but No. 42, I think he's a really good player," Bruce said. "He's coming up. He's fitting up with guys. He knows his assignment, which is strange for a rookie this early in camp."

Among those pushing Carter for the starting job are six-year veteran Michael Hawthorne, five-year veteran Michael Stone, former receiver turned safety Mike Furrey and rookie Oshiomogho Atogwe.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' rookie learns strong safety

I am not sure if it's fair, but I have to contrast Carter's enthusiasm with Barron's apathy!

Change is good and Barron needs to get his head out of his....

NFLTopGun is offline Registered User

Yes, Carter has the desire/passion to play football... Barron's the opposite...
    :clanram: DIE HARD RAMS' FAN!

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Barron reminds me of how the overpaid athelets actall the time! On top of the world and they think their s**t dont stink! But,he may be hurt or something and scared to let it be known!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How many of you have:

a. met Barron;
    b. heard him speak more than a quote or two;
    c. watched him practice;
    d. watched him work out; or
    e. watched him play in an NFL game?

Its amazing to me how quickly you are all willing to label Barron. Give the guy a chance.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    How many of you have:

a. met Barron;
    c. watched him practice;

Its amazing to me how quickly you are all willing to label Barron. Give the guy a chance.
    How can we not? He has is contract and is making up excuses for not being at camp. He obviously doesnt wanna play football. He pry just played college football so he could get a scholorship.
    RamsFan16

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

He obviously doesnt wanna play football.
    ...or perhaps Rams management was lowballing him. So many people are saying, "Oh well he should've been in camp anyway."

Alright, say he twists his knee and can never play football again. Zero dollars for Mr. Barron and family. If you were a rookie, would you participate in a training camp with no contract? If you say yes, I'd question your critical thinking skills.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    How can we not? He has is contract and is making up excuses for not being at camp. He obviously doesnt wanna play football. He pry just played college football so he could get a scholorship.
    Okay, I'm through being nice.

That may have been the dumbest post ever.

How can we not? Its called patience.

He's making up excuses for not being at camp? How do you know that? Were you at the airport with him? Come on!

He obviously doesn't wanna play football. What are you, a psychologist, or a psychic? Or do you just like talking out of your posterior.

He pry (sp?) just played college football so he could get a scholarship? Right. Because he wanted to graduate and get a job wearing a suit from 9:00 to 5:00 and making, if he's lucky, $50,000 per year. He had no interest in going to the NFL and making millions to play a game a few months out of the year.

This is getting downright silly.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    How many of you have:

a. met Barron;
    c. watched him practice;

Av i figured i might get ya stirred up!....jk......lol............Wouldnt have anything to do of where he went to college would it?..............Just givin you a hard time Av.........................Yes we do have to give him a chance your right maybe he will be that HOF RT we need!

GameTime is offline Registered User

I agreee with Avenger, Its frustrating, but maybe if his excuse is a lie, he just might be nervous to come in and get screamed at by his coach. I know some times people like to avoid conflict as long as they can. He did say he was laid back. either way, I think he is going to turn out just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    Av i figured i might get ya stirred up!....jk......lol............Wouldnt have anything to do of where he went to college would it?..............Just givin you a hard time Av.........................Yes we do have to give him a chance your right maybe he will be that HOF RT we need!
    He went to FSU. I went to law school at University of Miami. If anything, his school would be a negative to me.

Oh,sorry Av...........didnt get you after all!