RamsFan16 Guest

Rams Rookies Ready for Camp

Rams Rookies Ready for Camp
    Friday, May 12, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Tye Hill’s life hasn’t changed much since he was drafted almost two weeks ago. And if it did start to change, his mother wasn’t about to let it go to his head.

“She doesn’t care about the draft,” Hill said. “I still have to do what I have been doing, cleaning up behind myself. She keeps calling me to come move the pillows, socks, anything I have (left) around the house.”

But things are about to change for Hill and the rest of the rookie class this weekend. As the Rams’ rookies, drafted and undrafted alike, began to filter into Rams Park on Friday for this weekend’s minicamp, the realization began to kick in that they are joining the football elite.

A total of 37 rookies and selected young veterans will take part in this weekend’s minicamp which officially kicks off Saturday morning and ends Monday afternoon. The rookie minicamp will not involve most of the high-profile veterans, giving the young players an opportunity to learn the system and their roles without the pressure of keeping up with the established stars.

“I want to get as much as I can accomplished,” Hill said. “I want to learn as much as possible because I know once the veterans come in, it’s quick. Everything will go fast and I know I will have to be able to keep up. Hopefully I can go out here and get the basics and be better for the next camp.”

This weekend’s camp will focus on getting the new players used to what an NFL day is like and covering all the basics such as where to line up on certain plays and simple terminology.

Included in the group expected to attend is all 10 of the Rams’ drafted rookie class and 10 undrafted rookie free agents. Upon arrival Friday afternoon, the rookies were taken to be poked and prodded on physicals as well as an introduction to the St. Louis media before the official start of camp.

While most of the rookies say they aren’t sure what to expect this weekend, they do know they will be doing as much mental work as physical. And until that physical work begins, being in the NFL might not even click for one Rams rookie.

“I think I have to get knocked around a couple of times before it sinks in,” fourth-round defensive end Victor Adeyanju said. “So I will probably have to get on the field for it to sink in.”

Helping the rookie get acclimated are some selected first-year players. Those players can help in terms of some of the simpler tasks such as counts and alignments. Some veterans, such as linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa might stick their heads in on occasion as well. Tinoisamoa dropped in the locker room Friday and chatted with Hill and third-round choice Jon Alston briefly.

But ultimately, this weekend will come down to getting the basics. The final minicamp is scheduled for June 9-11. That camp will be mandatory for the whole team, so this weekend will be the first chance for the rookies to get up to speed.

“I guess I’m in for a rude awakening,” Hill said. “I’m ready to get started.”

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Rookies Ready for Camp

Tinoisamoa dropped in the locker room Friday and chatted with Hill and third-round choice Jon Alston briefly
    I thought Alston wasn't coming this weekend?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

viper is offline Registered User

That's what I thought too Hub. He wasn't supposed to be able to come by NFL rules because his class hasn't graduated yet. I wonder what has changed that allowed him to attend.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

i think you can visit the camp, but you cant participate (spelling)......

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I thought Alston wasn't coming this weekend?
    Yea I was just telling someone that. Maybe the NFL let hime come and participate or something. Or the college let him come this weekend since there isn't any classes on the weekend.