r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams, Ryan Not Sure About Next Season

Rams, Ryan not sure about next season

BY JIM THOMAS
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sidetracked by recurring migraines last season, defensive tackle Clifton Ryan is eager to resume his NFL career. Whether he continues it as a Ram seems uncertain, maybe even unlikely, as the league begins gathering in Indianapolis this week for the NFL scouting combine.

"The migraines have subsided," Ryan said Tuesday. "As far as me being a Ram, I don't make those decisions. I'm a ballplayer; a pretty decent one when healthy. I'm going to let my agent handle the business side. My job is focusing on being the best football player I can be in 2011."

Ryan, 27, was a fifth-round draft pick by the Rams out of Michigan State in 2007. He was a rotation player as a rookie behind Adam Carriker and La'Roi Glover but stepped into a starter's role in '08 and '09, establishing himself as a solid run defender with the potential to develop into something more.

But last summer, Gary Gibson earned the starting job ahead of Ryan coming out of training camp. Ryan never got the chance to earn back the job because of the migraines, which surfaced after the season opener against Arizona.

Ryan didn't play again in 2010 and was placed on the injured reserve list Oct. 27. Ryan underwent a variety of tests to determine the cause of the migraines and if there was anything more there. Included was a visit with noted concussion and neurological expert Dr. Joseph Maroon of Pittsburgh.

"He's doing fine," Ryan's agent, Tom Condon, said Tuesday. "He's been working out at Michigan State and hasn't had any recurring problems with his head."

As for any Rams interest in re-signing Ryan, Condon declined to comment except to say that it was very quiet throughout the league as teams — and players — wait out the current labor impasse.

The signals at Rams Park have been mixed, at best, in terms of retaining Ryan. During a Rams chat "guest stint" Tuesday on STLtoday.com, general manager Billy Devaney said only, "Cliff's an unrestricted free agent, so we'll have to see."

Fred Robbins and Gibson started 16 games apiece last season at the Rams' two defensive tackle spots. Robbins became an instant fixture on defense and is still under contract. Gibson is scheduled for unrestricted free agency, and according to league sources, the Rams have expressed interest in retaining him. Jermelle Cudjo and Darell Scott, who had backup roles in 2010, are both under contract for 2011.

Although the draft appears stronger at defensive end, there are some intriguing defensive tackle prospects including University of Illinois DT Corey Liuget, who could be in play for the Rams in the first round at No. 14 overall.

When asked Tuesday if he wanted to return to the Rams, Ryan was noncommittal.

"I just want to play football at a high level," Ryan said. "I don't make personnel decisions. I just want an opportunity to be a part of the greatest game on earth again."

If Ryan doesn't return, there will be no players on the Rams roster from the team's 2007 draft — which included Carriker, Brian Leonard, Jonathan Wade and Dustin Fry taken ahead of Ryan. That '07 draft was the last Rams draft before Devaney was hired.

Atogwe visits Redskins

Former Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe completed a free-agent visit to the Washington Redskins on Tuesday afternoon. He came and went without a deal and apparently was not made a contract offer, according to league sources. The Rams are keeping the door open to the possibility of re-signing Atogwe, who was released Friday, three days before he was due an $8 million roster bonus.

Gabbert won't throw

Condon confirmed Tuesday that University of Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert won't throw at the combine this week. "Gabbert will run. He's just not going to throw," Condon said. "We haven't had any of our guys throw."

Condon and the Clayton-based CAA Football agency represent Gabbert as well as Mizzou defensive end Aldon Smith. Condon said Smith will participate in all the combine workouts. Condon said Gabbert will throw at Mizzou's March 17 pro day in Columbia.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams, Ryan Not Sure About Next Season

If Ryan doesn't return, there will be no players on the Rams roster from the team's 2007 draft — which included Carriker, Brian Leonard, Jonathan Wade and Dustin Fry taken ahead of Ryan. That '07 draft was the last Rams draft before Devaney was hired.
    The '06 and '07 drafts are becoming quite the black mark on Rams history.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

First / foremost, I hope Ryan's health issue is indeed cleared and eradicated.

I supported and rooted for CRyan from the beginning and still suspect he might become an above average DT. In college he was a decent Spartan DL, has good size (6-3, 325 lbs.), and character. Should fit just right in Rams rotation schemes, I would think.

Last edited by RealRam; -02-23-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Ram

AlphaRam Guest

I found it odd that when he was suffering from migraines that he was still posting on Facebook. I know when I get a migraine, I am nowhere near a computer or a smart phone.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, you see, Ryan only felt the migranes "during football games".

No, really, I hope that there wil be no more of that and CR develops into a reliable DT.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    I found it odd that when he was suffering from migraines that he was still posting on Facebook. I know when I get a migraine, I am nowhere near a computer or a smart phone.
    i hear you Alpha and agree that when i myself have Migraines i too stay away from Computers,Phones etc and well anything other than my darkened,silent bedroom.
    but to be fair to Cliff though, migraines aren`t a 24/7 thing as you know..and rightly or wrongly the one thing this current regime seems set on is not taking any risks when it comes to problems with players heads..be it health problems or attitude problems. it could be that like they did with Jason Smith in his rookie year..they put him on IR prematurely rather than risking his long term future.
    at the time he went down he did seem to go quiet on his FB for a while..so that would add up.
    would be nice if he gave updates on his health on FB rather than uploading "Gangster Rap" style publicity photos as his profile pic though, so that any suspicion could be stopped before it sets in.