Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rams' Sam Bradford: We expect to win the Super Bowl ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams' Sam Bradford: We expect to win the Super Bowl ..

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
    EARTH CITY, MO. – St. Louis Rams cornerback Al Harris had visions of jumping second-year quarterback Sam Bradford's training camp sideline pass and racing into the end zone.

Except the only thing that went untouched was Bradford's sizzling fastball. His low, outside strike was placed where only wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker could snag it.

"That boy frustrates me," Harris told general manager Billy Devaney.

The 14th-year cornerback, who competed daily against Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers while he was with the Green Bay Packers from 2003 to 2010, speaks in reverential tones about Bradford.

"The two quarterbacks with the strongest arms in this league are Aaron Rodgers and Sam Bradford," Harris said. "The sky's the limit for Sam."

And Bradford is in a hurry to reach for it. The 23-year-old says he'd have traded his 2010 offensive rookie of the year honor for a postseason berth. Bradford expects help in achieving that goal from former Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels, the Rams' new offensive coordinator.

"The belief and the expectation from everyone in this building is that we're going to win the Super Bowl," Bradford said. "You have no idea how ticked off I was just to have our (7-9) season end without the playoffs.

"We had the opportunity last year had we won the last game (against the Seattle Seahawks). One of the things that hurts most is that we didn't play well enough on offense. I was frustrated I didn't play better."

Third-year coach Steve Spagnuolo's pressure defense is helping to sharpen a new-look offense that has added firepower.

"Josh's offense is great," Bradford said of the successor to new Cleveland Browns coach Pat Shurmur. "We are going to push the ball more down the field and attack."

Bradford appears to have found his voice as a leader.

"He has uncanny poise," McDaniels said. "He's driven to be great … really embracing his new responsibilities."

It all starts with the $50 million face of the Rams with a blue-collar, Oklahoma City background.

"Sam didn't tell you about his Lamborghinis? He's got like three," defensive end Chris Long joked.

Bradford appears much more interested in winning a Lombardi Trophy than driving a Lamborghini.

"Sam really just drives a pickup truck," Long said. "I've been to his apartment. There's nothing fancy going on. He's just worried about football. That's why you really love having him as the face of our franchise."

Bradford answered questions about his 2009 surgically repaired throwing shoulder last season when he joined Peyton Manning and Joe Flacco as the only quarterbacks to take every snap for their teams.

The former Heisman Trophy winner cemented locker room respect in the Rams' 44-6 blowout loss to the Detroit Lions in Week 5.

"I was trying to pull him out of the game to protect him," Spagnuolo said. "Sam said, 'No way, Coach. My guys are going in there. I need to be in there with them.'

"Everybody wants to put it on him, talk and write about him. Sam truly gets that it's all about team."

The number that matters is in the win column.

"Sam (doesn't care) about the rookie of the year honor," Devaney said.

The Rams added six free agent starters in Sims-Walker, guard Harvey Dahl, safety Quintin Mikell, linebackers Brady Poppinga and Ben Leber and defensive tackle Justin Bannan.

Spagnuolo's defensive scheme stunned the then-perfect, Tom Brady-led New England Patriots when he was the New York Giants coordinator in Super Bowl XLII. Now he has McDaniels on the opposite side of the ball, showing tape of Brady to Bradford, pushing his quarterback's perfectionist buttons.

"When you look at Spags and what he's able to do with his defense, we're not going to see anything tougher in a game," Bradford said.

"Obviously, we're trying to learn Josh's system as fast as we can. It's really exciting to have both of those guys in the same building."

BrokenWing is online now Registered User

Re: Rams' Sam Bradford: We expect to win the Super Bowl ..

Obviously over the next few years we'll see how things really turn out with these two coaches...

Having said that, on paper, it's sort of like having Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader fighting on the same side.

Or the Doctor and The Master teamed up to stop something.

I just hope it works out that way too =).
    MauiRam likes this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

nice article I'm buying into this!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Keenum is offline Registered User

ESPN even had an article on Bradford in their most recent magazine. He's starting to get some hype for this season!

I've loved everything I've seen/heard from him since he was drafted. He has said all the right things, and most importantly his actions have really shown he is a great leader.
    rNemesis likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what "it" is, but Sam has "it."

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Nice article, but when we talk about strongest arms in the NFL, Sam Bradford and Aaron Rodgers? Is it me, or is Harris just bias?

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Nice article, but when we talk about strongest arms in the NFL, Sam Bradford and Aaron Rodgers? Is it me, or is Harris just bias?
    I think he is right. Who else? Vick? Sanchez? Roth? flacco? Nope

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Unless one of the networks revives the old qb competition, (you know - the one where one drill has the qbs throwing at moving targets pulled by golf carts, and another has them heaving the ball as far as they can without a receiver), we'll likely never find out who can throw the farthest. I think everyone can agree that Sam's arm is strong enough though .. Let's hope Donnie Avery can put it to the test tonight !!

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Unless one of the networks revives the old qb competition, (you know - the one where one drill has the qbs throwing at moving targets pulled by golf carts, and another has them heaving the ball as far as they can without a receiver), we'll likely never find out who can throw the farthest. I think everyone can agree that Sam's arm is strong enough though .. Let's hope Donnie Avery can put it to the test tonight !!
    I got you, but I'm kinda hoping its DX on the other end that test. Maybe that'll calm some of my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by rob6465 View Post
    I think he is right. Who else? Vick? Sanchez? Roth? flacco? Nope
    Vick for sure.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Vick for sure.
    Yeah, Vick could throw a rolled up newspaper through a brick wall....if he thought there was a naughty puppy on the other side.

Seriously though, of course Harris' comments have to be taken with a grain of homer salt but it's nice to hear a 13 year pro has some respect for the kid.
    thoey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Yeah, Vick could throw a rolled up newspaper through a brick wall....if he thought there was a naughty puppy on the other side.

Seriously though, of course Harris' comments have to be taken with a grain of homer salt but it's nice to hear a 13 year pro has some respect for the kid.
    I'm not one to harp on peoples past failures in life, but I also have a sense of humor. And well.....the sense of humor wins this time. LMAO

MACD is offline Registered User

I've never understood the perception that Bradford's arm is less than stellar. Last year it was never really tested. Dude was a laser at OU.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    I've never understood the perception that Bradford's arm is less than stellar. Last year it was never really tested. Dude was a laser at OU.
    I know, its a crazy notion. I read an article about a month ago about all the NFL QB's and their arm strength. Bradford was ranked about 14th or so. Ive saw the majority of NFL QB's throw since, and theirs only Vick where I can say I see a difference.?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

"Josh's offense is great," Bradford said of the successor to new Cleveland Browns coach Pat Shurmur. "We are going to push the ball more down the field and attack."
    Think our boy felt a bit shackled last year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast