Sunday, January 2, 2005

Rams say matter is closed

ESPN.com news services
St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Kyle Turley will not be fined by the Rams for insubordination following his Dec. 13 shouting match with coach Mike Martz, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

"I talked to Mike, and I think Mike felt that it was an emotional exchange and there was no purpose in having this continue," Rams president John Shaw said. "He said, 'Let's not do anything, and let it end.' "

Following the heated meeting in Martz's office at Rams Park, the Rams filed a complaint to NFL Security, which gathered information from Martz and Turley on the incident.

One number that had been contemplated was a $100,000 fine, which would have been more than a game check for Turley this season.

But because Martz has decided not to press the matter, Shaw said, "The matter is closed. I think it's the end of it."

It's just one big happy family, right?

"Absolutely," Shaw said.

Untested Blaine Saipaia has made five starts at Turley's right tackle spot after Grant Williams, who has battled injuries and ineffectiveness all year, started 10 of the first 11 games there.

Turley did not undergo surgery for the latest back injury. He said he has been at Rams Park "periodically" during his rehab and has been on the sideline during home games. He said he wants to return to the team as soon as possible.

Last year was Turley's first with the Rams, and he started all 16 games. The Rams acquired him from the Saints for a second-round pick in the 2004 draft.

Turley was a controversial player in New Orleans, known most for a helmet-tossing episode in 2001. Turley attacked Jets safety Damien Robinson when Robinson grabbed the face mask of Saints quarterback Aaron Brooks, ripping off Robinson's helmet and throwing it downfield.