By Jim Thomas
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
09/08/2008

PHILADELPHIA As he headed to the sideline, it looked as if Rams left tackle Orlando Pace had injured his left shoulder with 10 minutes to go in Sunday's 38-3 loss to Philadelphia.

"That's what I thought, too," coach Scott Linehan said.

Given that Pace's 2007 season ended on opening day with a right shoulder injury, this would have been a disaster times two. But it was "merely" a shot to the ribs.

"He got the wind knocked out of him pretty good," Linehan said. "But it didn't have anything to do with the shoulder."

BENNETT, LITTLE HURT

The news wasn't as good for wide receiver Drew Bennett (foot) and defensive end Leonard Little (hamstring). Both left in the opening minutes with injuries and did not return.

Bennett suffered a left foot injury getting tackled on a 4-yard reception on the Rams' first offensive possession.

"My toe got caught in a strange spot," said Bennett, who was on crutches afterward. "All the pressure of the tackle came down on my knee and on my foot, and my foot just gave a little bit."

X-rays were negative, but Bennett is scheduled for an MRI today. Team doctors told Bennett there's the possibility of some tendon (or plantar fascia) damage. The injury is on the middle inside of the foot.

Little also is scheduled for an MRI today after suffering his hamstring injury just 90 seconds into the game. Little said he was coming off an attempted cut block by Eagles offensive tackle Jon Runyan when the injury occurred.

"It's something I'm going to have to manage," Little said. "Hopefully, I can come back next week and play."

WHERE'S TORRY?

Torry Holt's 10th NFL season couldn't have begun in quieter fashion. Holt had the ball thrown to him only a couple of times and finished with one catch for 9 yards. The last time he finished with one catch (or none) in a game was 2004, when he had one catch for 4 yards against Miami.

"They doubled him a lot and singled up our (flanker) a lot," quarterback Marc Bulger said. "And once Drew got hurt, they stayed in that."

Bulger said he probably should have tried to check down the ball more to Steven Jackson to counteract the Eagles' coverage.

CLASS OF '08

Only defensive end Chris Long, wide receiver Keenan Burton and linebacker Chris Chamberlain were in uniform Sunday among the Rams' eight-member 2008 draft class.

Offensive linemen John Greco and Roy Schuening, and linebacker David Vobora were among the Rams' pregame inactives. So was wide receiver Donnie Avery, who is sidelined with a sprained right knee. (In addition, fourth-round cornerback Justin King is out for the year after undergoing toe surgery.)

The Rams' other inactives: running back Brian Leonard, defensive end Eric Moore and safety Brannon Condren.

RAM-BLINGS

As the Rams' NFL Players Association rep, linebacker Will Witherspoon wore a black armband Sunday in memory of the late Gene Upshaw, the former Hall of Famer and longtime head of the NFLPA.