Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Rams Say S-Jax Trade Talks Are Bunkum, Release Press Statement

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams Say S-Jax Trade Talks Are Bunkum, Release Press Statement

That sound you're hearing is the echo of the entire Ram nation letting go of a great big 'DUHHHHHH!'

The final days before the NFL draft are always rife with smokescreens, misdirection and sleight of hand. Two rules of thumb apply:
    Don't believe anything you see or hear.
    Don't discount anything you see or hear.
    With that in mind came speculative reports earlier in the week that:
    Rams running back Steven Jackson wanted a new contract.
    The Rams are seeking to trade Jackson, with an eye on landing Alabama running back Trent Richardson in the draft Thursday.
    If Jackson wants a new contract, apparently it's news to the Rams. Two team officials said they were unaware of any request for a new contract by Jackson.
    Jackson, entering his ninth NFL season and heading toward his 29th birthday in July, has two years left on his current contract and is due to make $7 million in both 2012 and 2013. Sources familiar with Jackson said he does not have a problem with his current contract. But he could be interested in a contract extension, because he wants to retire as a Ram and feels like he has more than two years left as a player.
    Friends of Jackson say he was taken aback by speculative reports that he might even be cut by the Rams if they drafted Richardson. Releasing Jackson makes no sense. The Rams do not need the salary cap room this year. Even before the restructuring of Jason Smith's contract last week saved the team $2.2 million in cap room, the Rams were projected to have enough money to sign their draft picks and still have a little bit of a cushion.
    As for speculation that the Rams were trying to trade Jackson, team sources said those rumors aren't coming from Rams Park.
    The Rams do hold Richardson in high regard and are believed to have a high grade on him. But it's highly unlikely that Richardson will fall all the way to No. 6 overall. Cleveland is expected to take him at No. 4 overall, and Minnesota is trying to stir up enough interest in Richardson that teams will try to trade up to the Vikings at No. 3 to get ahead of Cleveland.
    If the Rams could trade up very cheaply for Richardson, they'd probably do it. But that's probably not going to happen. And if it did, why not keep both Jackson and Richardson on the roster?
    If that were the case, the Rams would have arguably the league's best one-two punch in the backfield. Very few teams go through a season with just one workhorse back these days anyway, and very few feature backs make it through 16 games unscathed. Under that scenario, it's entirely plausible that Jackson could get 250 carries and Richardson 150 as a rookie over the course of a season. Together, that's only 25 carries a game.
    Jackson isn't nearly as outspoken as he was earlier in his career, but he remains a straight shooter. And he sounded sincere about being willing to serve as a mentor if Richardson were drafted by St. Louis.
    As for the Rams giving up anything substantial in terms of draft picks in a trade for Richardson, there seems little chance of that happening. If anything, the Rams need more picks, not fewer, given all their team needs.
    RECEIVER OPTIONS
    The fact that the Rams held private workouts for at least four wide receivers over the weekend was a telling indicator that the team is looking long and hard at that position. You don't take a private jet with six coaches, team executives, and apparently a quarterback or two, all over the place just to put up a smokescreen.
    If nothing else, it's a signal that the Rams are preparing for a lot of scenarios, and probably haven't made up their mind yet on the wide receiver position. They looked at Justin Blackmon of Oklahoma State, Michael Floyd of Notre Dame, Kendall Wright of Baylor, and A.J. Jenkins of Illinois over the weekend.
    Blackmon would be the pick at No. 6 overall. Floyd is in play in a first-round trade down. (The team has investigated and discussed Floyd's alcohol-related problems in college and are satisfied enough that they shouldn't affect Floyd's draft status with the Rams.)
    Wright most likely is in play in a first-round trade-down, or if he somehow slips out of the first round. Jenkins is in play as a possible second- or third-round pick.
    During the Rams' private workout with Blackmon, quarterback Sam Bradford was in attendance. Apparently, he didn't throw at that workout. Sources said Kellen Clemens and Tom Brandstater both threw to Jenkins at his workout.
    One free-agent possibility, Jerome Simpson, agreed to terms with the Minnesota Vikings on Tuesday, making the Rams even more dependent on the draft to fill their needs at wide receiver.
    KICKER INTRIGUE
    There is at least some intrigue at place-kicker, with the Rams holding a private workout Tuesday with Georgia's Blair Walsh. Earlier this month the Rams held a private workout for Missouri Western kicker Greg Zuerlein he of the 21 consecutive field goals made last season, including nine from 50 yards or more. The Rams' current kicker, Josh Brown, has one year left on his contract.

Read more: Rams dismiss rumors of Jackson trade

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    My sources are telling me that Mike Lombardi is a lying sack of monkey dung.
    Aussie Dave likes this.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Say S-Jax Trade Talks Are Bunkum, Release Press Statement

I honestly believe Lombardi believed what he was saying, but he had no sources or anything to base his claim. It went something like "wow Steven Jackson is a stud, the Rams are terrible, clearly he wants a new contract."

Shaking my head at journalism nowadays.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Didn't believe it anyway, that's why I waited a day for more info to come out. That would have been a bad move, especially since its not certain Richardson would even be there at 6 and now you have no RB.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Wow. They slashed the S-Jax rumor AND the salary cap rumor all in one fell swoop.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Shaking my head at journalism nowadays.
    You and me both. It use to be you'd unflinchingly cite to print media. Now you're left wondering if it's just plain sloppiness, laziness, or truly some ill-conceived agenda that prompts so many to spew so much nonsense with a straight face and no moral compass.

I don't care if it's CNN or FoxNews - the tripe they serve up anymore makes me want to wash my ears out with bleach hoping it doesn't penetrate my brain like an earwig about to lay eggs ...

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too View Post
    You and me both. It use to be you'd unflinchingly cite to print media. Now you're left wondering if it's just plain sloppiness, laziness, or truly some ill-conceived agenda that prompts so many to spew so much nonsense with a straight face and no moral compass.

I don't care if it's CNN or FoxNews - the tripe they serve up anymore makes me want to wash my ears out with bleach hoping it doesn't penetrate my brain like an earwig about to lay eggs ...

It's because there are simply too many media outlets and too many people who obtain "credentials" to cover ALL news, not just sports. It's not gonna' change. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can blog, provide websites or call themselves "experts". And in their haste to provide a "scoop", even principled journalists take an alarming number of shortcuts.

Life was better with only three major networks and an air of mystery about what was happening with your team.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I honestly believe Lombardi believed what he was saying, but he had no sources or anything to base his claim. It went something like "wow Steven Jackson is a stud, the Rams are terrible, clearly he wants a new contract."

Shaking my head at what passes for journalism nowadays.
    Fixed that for ya.

gap