RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Sched: Look Out, Linehan

By Bernie Miklasz
    04/15/2008 3:14 pm

My first thought on the Ramsí 2008 schedule: itís a killer, early in the season.

But will it be a coach killer?

Will the first half of the 2008 lead to doom for Rams HC Scott Linehan?

Five of the first seven games come against 2007 playoff teamsÖ thereís the opener at always hostile Philadelphia, and other early-season road games at Seattle, Washington and New England. The early home games arenít a soft pillow, either, with encounters against the Super Bowl champeen NY Giants, the upstart Buffalo Bills, and the Dallas Cowboys. And Arizona, which seems to like playing here. (The Cardinals have won the last four in STL).

Between Oct. 12 and Nov. 16, the Rams play four of six on the road.

For a coach who needs to win to keep his job beyond the 2008 season, this isnít exactly what Linehan would have ordered up from the NFL headquarters. If the Rams start slow and get obliterated early, the fans will be all over team management to sack Linehan. Heíll lose the fan base. Heíll have to work hard to keep the players.

But on the flip side Ö this is also a marvelous opportunity for Linehan to silence the mob, and immediately gain traction and credibility by winning games that most people expect him to lose. Because of this hard road early, Linehan will be counted out even if he begins. So imagine the dramatic impact of Linehan, Al Saunders and Jim Haslett taking a revised and upgraded (???) Rams team into that Philly and springing an upset.

If Linehan can knock off some top dogs, and keep the Rams viable, the schedule figures to turn in his favor, because the Rams close with four of their final six games at The Ed.

Linehan should take the bold approach and view these early-season games as a great opportunity to reinvent the franchise Ö. rather than something to fear.

So is there hope on this schedule for Linehan?

YesÖ.but you just have to look hard to see it.

Good luck, coach.

ĖB

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Sched: Look Out, Linehan

Linny definately will not be back in '09.

NFLTopGun is offline Registered User

another negative post. you know that for sure? i think the rams will surprise some people this year as the Cardinals are doing with a hot start. Rams may have a tough schedule, but they will pull off some "upsets." of course that's if we remain healthy all year long. last year it was not the coach's fault with all the players getting hurt. I still have faith in the rams and linehan. we'll do better this year and i'm going to every game this year.
    :clanram: DIE HARD RAMS' FAN!

Rambos is online now Registered User

The Rams better play a lot of starters in the preseason. We have to come out and be ready to play at a high level.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The Rams better play a lot of starters in the preseason. We have to come out and be ready to play at a high level.
    I agree 100% Our players are going to need on-field experience prior to week one. This schedule is sick. Saunders probably has a headache now. Opportunities abound for players and coaches to prove that the Rams are not DIA in 2008.

Look out Linehan, and look out everybody. The constant vitriolic posts on Scott Linehan are boring. 2007 is over. If we suck in 2008 then SL will be given his walking papers, but we would lose more than that as a team. It will hamper our free-agent prospects and make it difficult to maintain any kind of consistancy.

Many on ClanRams would celebrate Linehan's failure, mindless of how devastating it would be to our team. I support Scott Linehan. He is our coach; and what is bad for our coach is bad for our team.

faulk2jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    I agree 100% Our players are going to need on-field experience prior to week one. This schedule is sick. Saunders probably has a headache now. Opportunities abound for players and coaches to prove that the Rams are not DIA in 2008.

Look out Linehan, and look out everybody. The constant vitriolic posts on Scott Linehan are boring. 2007 is over. If we suck in 2008 then SL will be given his walking papers, but we would lose more than that as a team. It will hamper our free-agent prospects and make it difficult to maintain any kind of consistancy.

Many on ClanRams would celebrate Linehan's failure, mindless of how devastating it would be to our team. I support Scott Linehan. He is our coach; and what is bad for our coach is bad for our team.
    dude, that is like the most common sense I have heard all year. sometimes it seems as though some people here would be happier if linehan gets fired than if the rams make it to the play offs.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I'm reading so many "doom and gloom" posts around here it is giving ME a headache (sounds like the old LA days). Sure the first part of the schedule is tough, that is just the way it goes sometimes. If we can't beat the upper tier teams, then what is really the point anyhow? I don't want to sound too much like an old high school football coach, but "this if football boys, anything can happen," and it still rings true today. If we can't beat the good teams then fine, we go high in the draft again next year and continue to build via youth. If this team has great cohesiveness and healthy starters we could very well shock some people (which is the feeling that I go into EVERY season with). It takes a lot of variables to produce wins and you will NEVER catch me with a doom and gloom approach. I always have and will always continue to go into every season with confidence no matter what the situation, but that's just me. As of now I'm fully prepared to hear, "wow the Rams are doing great DESPITE their tough schedule."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It will be difficult. But I think with the added players from the draft and some street free agents after the draft, we could build more into this team. Sure it won't be all starters, but enough depth to keep us alive this year.

I think we'll be a decent team this year. We won't be the bottom of the NFC West. Who knows, we may even be ontop of the NFC west this year.

In all honesty, I think we could take the Eagles, but we have to work hard from now until week 4 of preseason.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

The schedule is a tough one for sure.

But I don't know that we can't beat teams like the Bills, the Cardinals and the Eagles. If we start counting those teams as "unbeatable" - well then we're in a league with about 25 "unbeatable" teams.

I hear a lot of talk about how the NFL doesn't want the Rams to win etc. giving us a hard schedule. Maybe I've got it wrong here, but isn't the schedule determined by some formula? As far as I know the schedule for every team in the league is determined by some rigid formula that doesn't leave any room for the league to discriminate against any teams in that way.

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

A harder schedual is just what the doctor ordered. Its one thing to go and beat weaker teams while its another to beat stronger teams. Its the best way to know where you really stand.

A Winning record against softer opponents doesn't prove anything.

Predictions for Scotty L.
    I just hope he dusting off his resume, likely he'll need it by seasons end and might want to put his house on the market

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post

I dont know that anyone would celebrate his failure. If you celebrate Linehan's failure your celebrating the Rams losing. Do I think Linehan is a bad coach? Yes. Do I want the Rams to succeed? Yes. So I obviousley want to see Linehan succeed because I want the Rams to win. I think people misconstrue S.L.O.P. posture on our teams success. While we may think Linehan is a bad coach we would all love to see him succeed because this means the Rams are playing good. Now if the Rams stink again this year he has to go. I hope this doesnt happen because that means we sucked again. Do I support Linehan? Yes and No. I think I respect him more for seeing he cant call plays and his way wasnt working. I want the Rams to win and if Linehan is our coach and we are winning I am fine with that. If Linehan is our coach and we suck then I am all for him getting replaced.
    Just Fix It

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Linny definately will not be back in '09.
    I hope you have to eat those words.

SLAP

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

The schedule looks difficult admittedly. The thing to bear in mind though is that a teams fortune can swing dramatically from one season to the next even if personnel and coaching staffs remain largely unchanged. Injuries or lack thereof will play their part but the concept of parity will as well. Given that there is a large part of the off-season still to 'enjoy', I think its too early to writing any obituaries.

I thought Bernie struck the right note in that article. This is a genuine oportunity for Linehan to demonstrate why he was given the task of coaching the Rams.

What I do doubt however, is that in the event of the team doing remarkably well over those first eight games that Linehan himself will get any credit at all in certain quarters. Saunders will probably find himself picking up the plaudits for a turnaround and we'll see the same attitude towards Linehan that we saw last year, which at times wasn't pretty.

On paper, it looks tough but there's a long way to go before the first game of the season.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I hope you have to eat those words.

SLAP

I hope so too, but because he deserves to come back and not just because they make excuses for him again. I hope the guy really does let the coordinators do their jobs and just stays on the sidelines overseeing everything and the Rams make the playoffs. But for people to say this guy's been a good coach and it's just injuries that have lead to his failure is just silly. He's deserved a lot (not all) of the criticism he's receieved so far. Hopefully, he's learned from the mistakes he's made the first two seasons.