Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rams Searching for Answers

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Rams Searching for Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Looks like to me that Spags is playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. A lot of the decisions he makes question his leadership and his fortitude and confidence. It seems to me that some of the players stop giving maximum effort. The team is a mess.

And we played D? We gave up 250+ yards to a rookie running back that previously had less than 100 yards for the whole season. We made him look better than Emmit Smith. I'm not sure if our defense can keep the Saint's below 62 points at this rate.
    Playing conservative and call out a team as quitters is two difference things IMO.
    It's hard to call blitzes and send extra guys when your secondary does not have the skill sets to play man to man. we saw that in green bay we we blitz and got burned for a 93 TD! It's does not help to be aggressive when you lose your most productive WR in DA and lose SJ your only pro bowl player... now we lose our starting QB. Trust me I know it sucks and like I said Spags may lose his job over this season. I'm not sure if the Rams where totally healthy team Spags is the right HC, but I'm not going to say he stinks as a coach with this many injuries. Common sense says that's not right, but in life good guys don't always win.

Back to the yards given up 183 where on missed tackles and from the secondary.

“I will just sum it up this way,” Spagnuolo said, shaking his head. “We have got to solve the defensive issues. I think most of it can be solved by tackling. I added it up this morning, on the 11 plays we missed tackles, after the missed tackle there was a total of 183 yards given up. So you can do the math and figure out if we don’t tackle better that part is not going to get better.”
    You can take any team in the NFL and tell them they cannot start their starters or back ups.. go sign guys off the street and practice squads and I don't care who the coach is they will get killed on Sunday. There is a reason some players make millions and some don't play. Its called talent.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Its called talent.
    That's the bottom line. This team from top to bottom has less than the teams we've played so far. Would of, should of, could ofs are meaningless. Bottom line: 0-6 = less talent.

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

we need to start looking for our self-respect after all the beatings we've taken this year.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quit making excuses. Take away the 183 yds on missed tackles and the defense still gave up over 100 yds rushing. Not all of the missed tackles were by second and 3rd string corners. Like I said before if we were gashed through the air then I could see the secondary getting the blame but it starts up front in the run game. Getting gashed for all those yds is on the d-line and linebackers, not our banged up secondary. Like weare the only team in the NFL battling injuries. The Texans have played games without some pretty significant starters like Foster and Williams. They are still able to compete and win games without those guys.

This team even when Healthy just isnt very good. The Rams held the Packers to 23 points and our offense managed 3 points. The Rams held the Skins to 17 points and our offense managed 10 points. Can we blame our corners for that to? Our highest scoring game this year is 16 points and im pretty sure the injuries to our corners have had nothing to do with that.
    RockinRam likes this.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Quit making excuses. Take away the 183 yds on missed tackles and the defense still gave up over 100 yds rushing. Not all of the missed tackles were by second and 3rd string corners. Like I said before if we were gashed through the air then I could see the secondary getting the blame but it starts up front in the run game. Getting gashed for all those yds is on the d-line and linebackers, not our banged up secondary. Like weare the only team in the NFL battling injuries. The Texans have played games without some pretty significant starters like Foster and Williams. They are still able to compete and win games without those guys.

This team even when Healthy just isnt very good. The Rams held the Packers to 23 points and our offense managed 3 points. The Rams held the Skins to 17 points and our offense managed 10 points. Can we blame our corners for that to? Our highest scoring game this year is 16 points and im pretty sure the injuries to our corners have had nothing to do with that.
    Not all of the missed tackles were by second string corners
    This I agree with you know why, because they are all done for the year we are using scrubs!

Bradley Fletcher, Ron Bartell, Kevin Dockery, Justin King, Jerome Murphy and Quincy Butler were their primary corners last season. Fletcher, Bartell and Murphy are out for the season. Dockery and Butler weren't in the team's plans. King, a fourth-round choice in 2008, has been starting with 36-year-old veteran Al Harris. The team signed Josh Gordy from the practice squad and brought in veteran Rod Hood, who had not played since suffering a knee injury before the 2010 ]
    season
    The Rams have 6 CBs on IR this year. 6! Exactly
    how is a team supposed to "plan" for that?

16 points and im pretty sure the injuries to our corners have had nothing to do with that.
    maybe you have not read the paper but we kinda lost some key players on the offense, here I will break it down for you.

Lets see:

Amendola was Sam Bradford's favorite target in 2010, catching 85 balls for 689 yards and three touchdowns, and returned 40 punts and 50 kicks without incident.

In 2010 Amendola lead the NFL in all-purpose yards with 2,364

Steven Jackson

2010 St. Louis Rams Carries 330 Yards 1241 TD 6

2010 St. Louis Rams Receiving Yards 383

Bradford is out not sure when he will be playing again.

Now you may think that we can just throw AJ back there and we should win right?

These are not excuses these are season killing injuries get real.

This team even when Healthy just isnt very good.
    How would you know how good we would be we have not been healthy since game one.
    You have a right to your opinion but you need to be a bit more realistic.

You must have more NFL experience then our head coach, he's the one that sited the missed tackles as being primary in the secondary and ... Unless you have your own source for the missed the tackles I'm going to take the word from the guy that gets paid to coach the St Louis Rams. On the NLF network Mike Mayock, pointed out is was poor tackling and bad angles taken by safeties and LB.

You are in fantasy land if you think that RB are not going to get by the front seven ever!

That would be one hell of a front. I will keep my eye on the ravens and see if the secondary never has to make a play.

Last edited by Rambos; -10-26-2011 at 03:59 PM.

This I agree with you know why, because they are all done for the year we are using scrubs!
    You are right Al Harris,Quintin Mikell and Stewart are all scrubs.

I saw Mikell miss a tackle on one of the long runs hes a starter.

The Rams have 6 CBs on IR this year. 6! Exactly
    how is a team supposed to "plan" for that?
    I dont remember saying a team could plan for it, but they still cant be used as an excuse for terrible play on both sides of the ball.

maybe you have not read the paper but we kinda lost some key players on the offense, here I will break it down for you.

Lets see:

Amendola was Sam Bradford's favorite target in 2010, catching 85 balls for 689 yards and three touchdowns, and returned 40 punts and 50 kicks without incident.

In 2010 Amendola lead the NFL in all-purpose yards with 2,364

Steven Jackson

2010 St. Louis Rams Carries 330 Yards 1241 TD 6

2010 St. Louis Rams Receiving Yards 383

Bradford is out not sure when he will be playing again.

Now you may think that we can just throw AJ back there and we should win right?

These are not excuses these are season killing injuries get real.
    Too bad the Texans cant use the same excuse with Andre Johnson and Arian Foster both missing several games. Wait they dont need an excuse they are 4-3. I'll give you the Bradford injury for one game but we are 0-6 not 0-1. We have a decent back-up rb, hes not Jackson but has been able to run the ball pretty well. Did I expect Feely to be effective? Well I would hope a back up qb would be servicable but i guess not, this still doesnt not excuse 294 yds rushing.

How would you know how good we would be we have not been healthy since game one.
    You have a right to your opinion but you need to be a bit more realistic.

You must have more NFL experience then our head coach, he's the one that sited the missed tackles as being primary in the secondary and ... Unless you have your own source for the missed the tackles I'm going to take the word from the guy that gets paid to coach the St Louis Rams. On the NLF network Mike Mayock, pointed out is was poor tackling and bad angles taken by safeties and LB.
    “I will just sum it up this way,” Spagnuolo said, shaking his head. “We have got to solve the defensive issues. I think most of it can be solved by tackling. I added it up this morning, on the 11 plays we missed tackles, after the missed tackle there was a total of 183 yards given up. So you can do the math and figure out if we don’t tackle better that part is not going to get better.”

Above is the quote from Spags and no where in this quote does he even mention it being primarily the secondary. Sounds to me like some of the missed tackles obviously were up front. I'm not claiming to know more than Spags just read his quote correctly. My source is the same as yours unless you have another quote from Spags where he specifically points out our secondary as the ones that were missing tackles. Now the writer of the article said out of 13 missed tackles the majority were from the secondary. Al Harris,Quinten Mikell,Butler,Dahl and Stewart are starter quality. Harris is our nickle corner but did a pretty damn good job on Dez so I wont lump him in with scrubs. So unless Justin King missed every one of the blatant missed tackles this is still an excuse.

You are in fantasy land if you think that RB are not going to get by the front seven ever!

That would be one hell of a front. I will keep my eye on the ravens and see if the secondary never has to make a play.

Your acting as if every secondary player we have is a back-up. Mikell and Stewart are both starters. Harris is our starting nickle corner and is now our best cb. King sucks but i doubt he missed every tackle. I never said the defensive front stops every run. If a team gives up 294 yds rushing im not blaming the secondary for that and that is reality.

But you go ahead and watch the aging Ravens I bet a lot fewer untouched rb's burst through that line then through ours.

On a side note on the 95 yd touchdown run it was our two starting safties that took bad angles.
    Last edited by rammiser; -10-26-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    Just Fix It

You win we have a great secondary, can't wait to see them hold the saints to under 250 yards if they don't we can just say Spags can't coach.

You win we have a great secondary, can't wait to see them hold the saints to under 250 yards if they don't we can just say Spags can't coach.
    When did I say our secondary was great? On Murray's two longest runs Stewart,Mikell,Kiel, and Chamberlain were the ones who took bad angles and missed tackles. By the way those two runs accounted for about 140 of the 183 that was described as yds after missed tackles.

All 25 runs - DeMarco Murray vs Rams - YouTube

Didnt really want to post it but take a look again as painful as it may be. This video is all 25 of Murrays runs. If you can blame injuries in the secondary after watching that video then I want some of what your smoking.
    Last edited by rammiser; -10-26-2011 at 07:12 PM.
    Just Fix It

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'm afraid that it looks like they're still going to be searching for answers for the rest of the season.

I'm not going to get drawn into the specifics of the last game as to me they're reflective of much larger points that epitomise our season to date. Many of us argued that the brutal nature of our early-season schedule had the potential to mask any and all progress that was made over the course of last season. Some felt this to be irrelevant given the need to 'beat the best to be the best' but I felt that this underplayed the challenge that faced Spagnuolo in trying to gather the kind of momentum that we felt over the course of last season in our 'successful' run to 7-9.

And it seems to me that we forgot the essence of last season, yes there were encouraging signs but again we experienced a losing season that culminated in a loss to a frankly awful Seahawks team led by Charlie Whitehead/hurst/hall whatever....remember him? So were/are still a work in progress, its just that we came so far from so little that we could be forgiven for getting carried away and we did, me included.

The first two games that I watched on gamepass (oh how I regret that $200) were competitive and you could easily make a case for changing the outcome of both based on a couple of plays here or there but what we've seen since has been nothing less than a disgrace. Not just in terms of reality against expectation although that's bad enough but also in terms of what can be reasonably expected from a football team at any level. This isn't about scheme or technique in as much as it is about a team that is demoralised to the point of having given up.

The early season losses, as tough as they were on the bottom line in the W/L column seem to driven the purpose from the team. The purpose that was so evident last season has disappeared in a welter of missed tackles, season-ending injuries, false starts, stupid penalties, dropped passes and game-changing turnovers. Momentum is a stranger to this group who are looking at having to drag themselves out of this pit of despondency if they're to avoid winning the 'suck for luck' sweepstakes.

Yes, we're not as talented across the board as some,yes our off-season was disrupted, yes we've been hit with bad injuries at key positions, yes we've seem some indifferent officiating but the reason we're losing as far as I'm concerned comes down to a group of players who, when smacked across the face have tended to sit down and take it rather than come out swinging. I can't explain Murray's performance for Dallas against us in any other way.

As when Linehan was the subject of the imaginatively titled 'SLOP' campaign on these boards, I'm reluctant to pile on the coach but as with Linehan, Spags knows what business he's in and whilst I fundamentally believe he's a good coach (as I believe McDaniels is) he also knows that he has to effect a remarkable turnaround with this group of players in their approach to building morale and momentum. If he does, he'll still be around and I hope he is.

I'm generally fairly positive regarding the Rams and err on the side of being supportive but the garbage I've been forced to watch for the last three to four games has seen an end to that. In terms of answers, I genuinely don't believe that any amount of bawling or benching changes anything, the personnel you go into the season with are going to have to do it for you, trades apart, and if trade you must (LLoyd) then its a sign you got it wrong in the first place. (Salas and Pettis and we trade for another WR?)

Devaney might not be holding court at any St Louis area bars this coming offseason and our training camp will be lacking a Bostonian cadence if we don't see at least some fight out of this group over the next four weeks.

Oh and it starts with the Saints............
    Truth and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12