Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Rams second coming of Lions 08?

I keep hearing that junk on other websites. Personally I feel we are way below radar. I'm pretty excited about our offense. In recent interview with SJax and Karney Spags focused on running the ball, I have no problem with that. I feel with a healthy McMichael and Karney we are going to be smash mouth, no more finesse. I'm still waiting and hoping for another offensive acquisition. Don't know what our cap space looks like.

As for defense only T. Hill concerns me. Spags also addressed preventing big plays explaining there is little that separates teams and that could get us over the hump. (Gist)

I can't wait until 09 season and all these suckers eat crow! I'm pumped!

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams second coming of Lions 08?

Well said, I agree

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Why would we play worse this year when we have a better roster, a better coach(Couldn't be worse!) and a new feeling of energy and hope? That just makes no sense. Not to mention our schedule is guaranteed to be easier. Last year we played the two East divisions, two of the top divisions in football. The only reason that the Cards even made the playoffs was because someone had to and they swept the division. There is no way we're worse this year than last, and I'll actually eat a crow if we are.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Why would we play worse this year when we have a better roster, a better coach(Couldn't be worse!) and a new feeling of energy and hope? That just makes no sense. Not to mention our schedule is guaranteed to be easier. Last year we played the two East divisions, two of the top divisions in football. The only reason that the Cards even made the playoffs was because someone had to and they swept the division. There is no way we're worse this year than last, and I'll actually eat a crow if we are.
    Easy Teke,

Let me remind you before you start offering to eat crow.

2007- (3-13) The Injury "PLAGUE" got us. I think alot of us thought that with our team healthy going into 2008 we would rebound in a big way?!

2008- (2-14) YIKES!!!!!!!! Could have been worse..1-15 and/or 0-16

2009- ?????

GO RAMS!!!!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm sorry, anyone who makes the case that the 2009 Rams will be the 2008 Lions just isn't paying attention.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

While yes, the trend is downwards laram0, the trend on coaching and roster and schedule are all upwards from last year. That's the reason why I have more confidence. Plus there's almost no chance that we lose our coach this year, even if doing that led to our two wins last year.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post

As for defense only T. Hill concerns me. Spags also addressed preventing big plays explaining there is little that separates teams and that could get us over the hump. (Gist)
    Tye hill is the only thing that concerns you?

The NT position concerns me. Cliff Ryan and Dorrel Scott will fight for the position and we need our NT to stop the run.

Also what about the SLB position. Chris Draft will likely start and im just not sure if he can do enuff to keep that position over a younger guy. Draft might be this year's corey chavous.

What about the pass defense? Ron Bartell is good. But James Butler is more of a run stopper. Atogwe is a playmaking ball hawk that is not great in coverage but can pick it off in center field. and you already know about Tye hill.

And the offensive sucess depends on Marc Bulger. We know when healthy Action Jackson will get around 100 yrds 1 TD 4 rec 40yrds per game. We are going to need Bulger to do good and not complain about the lack of receiving experience.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I keep hearing that junk on other websites.
    See, that there's your problem.

Say twelve hail marys and don't do it again.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I keep hearing that junk on other websites.
    I read two football publication and the writers had us worse than the Lions. Rank us 32 in the power rankings.
    :ramlogo:

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Tye hill is the only thing that concerns you?

The NT position concerns me. Cliff Ryan and Dorrel Scott will fight for the position and we need our NT to stop the run.

Also what about the SLB position. Chris Draft will likely start and im just not sure if he can do enuff to keep that position over a younger guy. Draft might be this year's corey chavous.
    These positions supposedly don't exist anymore, so no cause for concern there right? NT has been replaced by left and right DT. Likewise with the LB positions.
    My personal biggest concern is the changing of schemes yet again. Hopefully the young guys can adjust and flush out last years' playbooks easily.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree that the offense should be better, although i point out that our receivers are suspect and if avery gets hurt, we have basically nothing proven at all at the nfl level. Bulger will be better if the line and running game are better, but the receivers still have to be able to run the routes, be in the right place at the right time, and keep the defense honest. So much of the passing game is timing and we have been spoiled for 10 plus years of bruce and holt, the ultimate professionals. Route running is a huge challenge for young receivers, as are the adjustments. Its not going to take long before teams are packing the box against us and god forbid anything happens to jackson or bulger injury wise, its going to be another very long year.

On the defensive side, i think its wildly optimistic to say that tye hill is the only concern. We have been absolutely awful defensively for years. Have we added some talent? Yes. But we have a number of highly touted young players and rookies that need to step up in a big way (laurinitis, carriker, long, ryan for starters), our depth is highly suspect, and our best pass rusher (leonard little) is in his 30's. What will improve our defense most statistically is our improved running game, which will shorten the game and hopefully keep the defense off the field.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I agree that the offense should be better, although i point out that our receivers are suspect and if avery gets hurt, we have basically nothing proven at all at the nfl level. Bulger will be better if the line and running game are better, but the receivers still have to be able to run the routes, be in the right place at the right time, and keep the defense honest. So much of the passing game is timing and we have been spoiled for 10 plus years of bruce and holt, the ultimate professionals. Route running is a huge challenge for young receivers, as are the adjustments. Its not going to take long before teams are packing the box against us and god forbid anything happens to jackson or bulger injury wise, its going to be another very long year.

On the defensive side, i think its wildly optimistic to say that tye hill is the only concern. We have been absolutely awful defensively for years. Have we added some talent? Yes. But we have a number of highly touted young players and rookies that need to step up in a big way (laurinitis, carriker, long, ryan for starters), our depth is highly suspect, and our best pass rusher (leonard little) is in his 30's. What will improve our defense most statistically is our improved running game, which will shorten the game and hopefully keep the defense off the field.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Great job GC thatís my thoughts exactly on the team. I can see another long year coming we still have a ways to go.
    :ramlogo:

txramsfan is offline Registered User

My concern is much like GC's. I'm not sold on Carriker or Ryan. I'm not actually sold on Chris Long yet and Little is way up there in NFL age. Laurinitis is unproven and Hill starting in the secondary scares me.

However, like the famous quote in Hoosiers..."this is your team". Support them.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Okay, I understand the apprehension some of you guys have, but come on, there is no way the 2009 Rams will look anything like the winless 2008 Lions. The walking wounded Linehan led Rams didn't sink that low and the revamped Spagnuolo led version certainly won't.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Oh the Rams might seem to have a simular record as the Lions but that is where the simularities end.

Lions--Totally disfunctional Front office. There has been no long term plan to develop in Detroit. With the Rams there was a plan, pity Linehan couldn't pull it off.

Players, despite some real bone-headed player choiced the Rams have a greater depth chart. Bulger is a solid QB, assuming the line can pass block and keep him standing upright. Hopefully the Rams offensive play calling will not be so predictable and keep opponents off balance. Further there is S. Jackson, a solid RB when he is healthy and a viable threat assuming the defense keeps the Rams in a game to make use of his talents and maintain clock management.

Defensive wise the Rams have been investing in players ever since the martz-meltdown on that side of the ball. Where as the Lions have been all over the place with whom they drafted and acquired.

All and all the Rams have a lot more going for them then the Lions. A new HC with a plan--a front office more concerned with what product they are putting on the field then Red and black ink on a balance sheet, have a core of solid players at the skill positions.

Actually, the Rams have a shot at wining the NFC-West. The Lions have little or no chances as the perverbale snow ball in hell in their division

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast