View Poll Results: Is the Rams secondary a strength or weakness?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strength

36 65.45%
  • Weakness

19 34.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BarronWade is offline Registered User

The Rams secondary; a weakness or strength?

What do you think about our secondary as a whole? Is it a strength of the team or is it one of our weaknesses? Not just the starters but some of the back-ups to?

Do you think we are skilled enough to focus mainly on the rush? Do plenty of run blitz and plenty of man to man.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams secondary; a weakness or strength?

I'm going to read in between the lines and assume your gauging our secondary based on its potential. If so, that would be a HUGE mistake. There are too many factors that go into determining how good our DB's will be. Just remember, young backs learn the most from making mistakes, and trust me they will be very heavily tested all year long. They might play pretty well most of the year, but I would expect a lot more headaches than good times.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -06-12-2009 at 11:11 PM.

blood85 is offline Registered User

In the past , I would have said weakness, but they have slowly built a solid Secondary. I think they will really benefit if we can just get some pressure to the QB, Hopefully, Spags' schemes can help us out in that department.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

You should rephrase this question:

"Is the Front Four a weakness or a strength?"

To be honest, there will be no finite answer to that question without first providing an answer to the one which I proposed. If the DL cannot sustain a pass rush, the secondary will get burned. If Long, Little and Carriker get it going, there will be less to do and the players in our secondary whom we believe to be concreted in as starters will benefit as a result. The success of the secondary will be measured in degrees of the success of the front four.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post

To be honest, there will be no finite answer to that question without first providing an answer to the one which I proposed. If the DL cannot sustain a pass rush, the secondary will get burned. If Long, Little and Carriker get it going, there will be less to do and the players in our secondary whom we believe to be concreted in as starters will benefit as a result. The success of the secondary will be measured in degrees of the success of the front four.
    Well the success of the secondary will can also measures the degree of success of the front 4 too. If the secondary keeps getting burned then the offense can just get some 3 step drop and quick passes going.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

On paper, we've got a nice looking DB. Most of the guys are fairly tall, they're all fast enough and I think we've got pretty good depth to boot.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Time will only tell ? Im betting its improved though.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It is too early at this point to vote on our secondary. If we are voting on potential, then I'd say we've somewhat more potential than last year based on the addition of Butler, and the subtraction of Chaveous. Bradley Fletcher seems a decent pick and may surprise. Wade and King have potential, but potential doesn't win games. Tye Hill, as many have pointed out, must have a breakout season, or don the bust label. Bartell, Atogwe, and Butler will form the nucleus of our back four, leaving open the battle for one starting corner, and the nickel back. I like our chances of this year's secondary improving over last year's based on the aforementioned addition and subtraction of players. That said, Bar-bq brings up the old addage that if you can't pressure opposing QBs, your secondary will be under extreme duress all day long. This is afterall a team sport, something our new Hc is continually stressing to every player on the team at every opportunity. If you were to ask this poll question after the last preseason game, we fans could put forth a more informed decision ..

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Much like the last presidential election, the two "candidates" on the ballot made my vote a tough choice. However, unlike my presidential decision, I decided to not vote because I don't believe in either candidate. The backfield is neither a strength, nor a weakness. They're somewhere in the middle, I think.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

LifeLongRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post

You are exactly right with this one. Very smart football anwser, and right on the money. The success of our secondary lies in the hands of our front 4, plain and simple...

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

front four have potential; Carriker is a huge cornfed disaster waiting to happen. Long is a hard working son of a gun. Little has a year or two left. Clifton Ryan I don't know, no sacks last year, 23 tackles. If our offense can give these guys a little rest they can make a difference. That aside Tye Hill is going to be key.

I seen him get burned more times than I could handle. If he doesn't come through this year cut him fast. I few other concerns, but if Hill does show we can have a decent season.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Just to elaborate on my first post. I like the guys we have, but to me a lot of young in experienced guys trying to learn a new system is the equivalent of the secondary being a weakness.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Well gosh son, if we didn't have a secondary then the other team could just pass on us all day and score at will. Come on. Use your head, of course having a secondary is a strength.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Just looking at the team:

Bartell - very good but most hated him before last season. Let's be honest now, a lot of people wanted to move him to safety because he was picked on in 2007. He started last season as our questionable nickel and is now our #1?
    Hill - how can anyone think he's good? He's either been lit up or hurt. Yes he has massive potential and may very well be good but he has shown nothing so far.
    Justin King - showed something and LINEHAN said he impressed him for about 2 weeks. Not much to hang your hat on.
    Wade - really has he shown you much? He's a sub-par nickel back at this point.
    Fletcher - rookie project

How in the world could these guys be a strength? We don't even know who our #2 CB is because there is so little to choose from in terms of experience. Mark my words: by week 4 you guys will be wondering where Fakir Brown is.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -06-18-2009 at 03:17 PM.

LifeLongRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Just looking at the team:

Bartell - very good but most hated him before last season. Let's be honest now, a lot of people wanted to move him to safety because he was picked on in 2007. He started last season as our questionable nickel and is now our #1?
    Hill - how can anyone think he's good? He's either been lit up or hurt. Yes he has massive potential and may very well be good but he has shown nothing so far.
    Justin King - showed something and LINEHAN said he impressed him for about 2 weeks. Not much to hang your hat on.
    Wade - really has he shown you much? He's a sub-par nickel back at this point.
    Fletcher - rookie project

How in the world could these guys be a strength? We don't even know who our #2 CB is because there is so little to choose from in terms of experience. Mark my words: by week 4 you guys will be wondering where Fakir Brown is.
    I never hated Bartell, from the first time I seen him on the field I thought he was our best CB, sure in 07 he had some blown coverages and mental errors, but we have had literally zero pressure on the opposing QB's the last few years and that kills our secondary. Bartell has huge potential and as long as he puts in the time in the film room, studies the playbook and stays motivated with all that money in his pocket he should be solid.

Hill I agree with you, I was pulling my hair out in the beginning of last year while he was being eaten alive on every ball thrown his way. It's a make or break year for him.

The ? is which one of our youngsters ( King, Wade and Fletcher ) is going to step his game up and claim the nickel spot.

Don't forget we now have 2 solid safties as well.... But it still all depends on our front 7 getting pressure on the QB, if Little stays 100% healthy he's as good as any pass rusher in the league and I predict a strong secondary, if he keeps getting knicked up I predict a not so strong secondary. I believe he still has a few years in the tank... hopefully there healthy years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast