Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Seek Permission to Talk to Winston Moss

Quote Originally Posted by NFL.com
    Itís not the first time that Rams general manager Billy Devaney has turned to Moss. He did the same last season when he was leading Atlantaís head coaching search that resulted in the hire of Jaguars defensive coordinator Mike Smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    I followed the Falcons coaching search very very closely last year and to my knowledge - the Atlanta Falcons NEVER interviewed Winston Moss for the head coaching position......Heck, I have never heard of him until I saw this thread.....

so, the reason Winston Moss did not get the Falcons job, well for one was because he never got an interview, Bar-bq.
    Looks like you and NFL.com have some conflicting info there.. I dunno...

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

I've been saying that for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Just throwing it out there, but three playoff teams this season were led by rookie head coaches with no head coaching experience.

Atlanta, Baltimore and Miami.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Green Bay's local writers seem to agree with him, but they might've overlooked something, who knows...

Perhaps more than anyone on Mike McCarthyís staff, Moss appears to be on the track toward a head coaching job. In 2007, McCarthy gave Moss the title of assistant head coach to go along with his duties as linebackers coach.

Several have parlayed the assistant head coach designation into an NFL head coaching position. The most recent was Mike Singletary, who took over the San Francisco ***** after Mike Nolan was fired in midseason. Last offseason, the Miami Dolphins hired Tony Sparano as their head coach after he had served as the Dallas Cowboys assistant head coach.

At age 42, Moss remains relatively young as far as the coaching business goes and has yet to interview for a head coaching job, but his time seemingly will come if the Packers continue to win.

ďHeís a very impressive guy,Ē Sanders said, ďa man of high character and has the attributes that you look for in a guy that youíd like to have running your program if youíre an owner.Ē
    Rooney interview or not, I wouldn't take this guy so lightly. John Harbaugh was just a special teams coach with the Eagles, Tony Sparano was the Cowboys' O-line coach, and Jim Zorn was the Seahawks' QB coach. The three combined have a 30-18 record as rookie head coaches.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -12-30-2008 at 04:50 AM.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

I followed the Falcons coaching search very very closely last year and to my knowledge - the Atlanta Falcons NEVER interviewed Winston Moss for the head coaching position......Heck, I have never heard of him until I saw this thread.....

so, the reason Winston Moss did not get the Falcons job, well for one was because he never got an interview, Bar-bq.
    Wouldn't NFL.COM of all places have their facts straight?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyHigh1212 View Post
    Wouldn't NFL.COM of all places have their facts straight?
    You would think so.

(keep an eye on the opening "name bar")

GolfnRAMFAN is online now Registered User

I like what I read about him. However if he is just getting interviewed for the Rooney Rule, this is why I hate it. He is taking a full day to prepare for an interview which he may stand no chance in reeling in. If he is a serious canidate, then fantastic, I wish him all the best. But if he is just a result of a rule, I feel bad for him because I'm sure he is working his tail off to get everything right for any interview he may simply have no chance in.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GolfnRAMFAN View Post
    I like what I read about him. However if he is just getting interviewed for the Rooney Rule, this is why I hate it. He is taking a full day to prepare for an interview which he may stand no chance in reeling in. If he is a serious canidate, then fantastic, I wish him all the best. But if he is just a result of a rule, I feel bad for him because I'm sure he is working his tail off to get everything right for any interview he may simply have no chance in.
    a guy who gets interviewed as a Rooney Rule interview knows what it is. But even if he doesnt have a real chance for the job, its still good for someone like Moss to interview. He doesnt have HC experience, but by going for the interview he gets his name talked about round the league and also there is a chance to surprise someone during his interview and end up with the job anyway

anyway, at least we are interviewing a young candidate who could actually be a HC in the future, rather than just doing what most other teams do and interviewing Art Shell

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Hmmmm why have we only made an appointment to interview Moss?

The Lions allready have appointments with:
    Garrett, Jim Schwartz, Leslie Frazier , Jerry Gray and Steve Spagnuolo!

Other teams are also linning big names for interviews.

This scares me to hell, could it be that the Rams have allready decided to keep Haslett and only brings in Moss to fullfill the Rooney rule?
    Last edited by clarasDK; -12-30-2008 at 07:38 AM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

An interesting point DK, however, judging by what Peter King wrote yesterday on how he sees our situation, and my own views on the subject, I think we're safe in that aspect, unless it's come down from on high(Chip) that we'll be retaining Haslett, hopefully with another defensive coordinator, and maybe offensive as well, though I do like Saunders.

While I don't like us not making appointments to see a wide range of people, it's also possible that Devaney's taking his time figuring out exactly who would be the best for the job and will then send out the invites. Though of course, two of the bigger names are only available this week, so we need to get them in now, unless we wait until after the playoffs, which teams generally are loathe to do. That said, Spagnolo really came into the forefront after the Super Bowl... so maybe waiting wouldn't be the worst thing ever. Though the last time a team waited really late in the game, it was San Diego who let both coordinators walk, then waited like 2 weeks before firing Marty. Then they ended up with Norv "Can I has a coaching positions?" Turner... so you take your chances either way.

Personally, I would like to see us grab someone who is a natural leader... someone who has the fire and the guts to get our players to play up to their potential and who will make this a better place. I don't care about wins at the moment, I just want us to play like an NFL team. There were a number of weeks that Haslett got us to do that... and a number that he didn't. The defense the last few years has always been strong in the first half, but has killed us at the end of the game... In my mind that means we need someone who will make conditioning a top priority. I don't care if we lose, but it better not be because we got tired, and it can't be because we collapsed at the end. That needs to be the new mantra. Always close out the game better than the opponent.

If this Moss guy is the right guy, so be it. An 11 year LB and now LB coach has to have some fire and leadership, the question is, is it enough?

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    Hmmmm why have we only made an appointment to interview Moss?

The Lions allready have appointments with:
    Garrett, Jim Schwartz, Leslie Frazier , Jerry Gray and Steve Spagnuolo!

Other teams are also linning big names for interviews.

This scares me to hell, could it be that the Rams have allready decided to keep Haslett and only brings in Moss to fullfill the Rooney rule?
    DK,

I doubt it.......if Billy DeVaney wants to put his mark on this team, he's not going to do it by leaving the interim coach who lost his last 10 games in a row.....DeVaney has been a "lifer" scout and 2nd banana and now he finally gets his one shot to run the show and be the General Manager - the "top dog" so to speak.

Do you really think Devaney is going to keep Jim Haslett and open himself up for tremendous 2nd guessing by the fans?????

Devaney can name almost anybody else head coach and he's going to get 2-3 years before he really gets judged for the coaching hire and his personnel picks. If Devaney takes Haslett and things continue down the path of 2008 - Devaney will be on the hot seat by week #8 of next year.

So, I ask you, is it logical that Billy Devaney is keeping Haslett?

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Devaney can name almost anybody else head coach and he's going to get 2-3 years before he really gets judged for the coaching hire and his personnel picks. If Devaney takes Haslett and things continue down the path of 2008 - Devaney will be on the hot seat by week #8 of next year.
    That's why I don't think Haslett is going to stay as HC. Although I really don't see what Haslett has done in 3 years here that would even put his name in the mix as a candidate, remind me how awesome our defense has gotten since Haslett took over? Haslett shouldn't even be a candidate, let alone the choice. But I think Devaney knows this and will pick someone else to get a fresh start.

As far as this Winston Moss guy, I don't know much about him, he could be the greatest thing ever but my first thought is "ok, we satisfied the rules by interviewing him" and not "hey here's a serious candidate". Color me surprised if we do pick this guy.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I hope you are right. But I just get paranoia when I think how much is at stake in the next month. I think we have talent on the team that just need the right kind of motivation and coaching.

What scares me is if we pick a bad HC again then we will fall so low that comming back will take forever (we are close to that point allready with a team that have totally lost its winning intinct).

The next month will decide if we will become the new cardinals who only get to the playoffs once every 20 years or if we can at least get up into the middle field of the NFC class fighting for wildcard and division titels.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Nick,

I don't claim to know more than NFL.com but if the Falcons interviewed Winston Moss/Packers then it was on the "down-low" - it never hit the Atlanta papers and I never saw it in the national media either last year - and believe me, I was monitoring daily. I do know that the Falcons did interview two personnel guys in Green Bay for the GM position.

Falcons met the Rooney rule with interviews of Jim Caldwell(Colts) and Leslie Frazier(Vikings) - so I know the Falcons did not give a token interview to Winston Moss..........I could be wrong about Falcons interviewing Moss - but I doubt it........

Falconator Guest

I stand corrected......found this on KFFL.com - (I can promise you that he was never a "serious" candidate though or there would have been more "buzz" about it - it was just one of those announcements - Falcons interviewed 10+ candidates before they even hired their GM(Dimitroff) and then Dimitroff pared it down and made the hire (not DeVaney))

Falcons | W. Moss a candidate for head coach
    Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:43:29 -0800
    Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Green Bay Packers assistant head coach Winston Moss is a candidate to become the Atlanta Falcons next head coach.
    Last edited by Falconator; -12-30-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Maybe this is a rooney rule thing. Get the minority interview first then set up other interviews for other candidates.

I trust Devaney and will support him. As long as its not the Haz with the headset on next season.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast