RealRam is online now Registered User

Rams Senior Equipment Manager D. Hewitt Dies

Longtime Senior Equipment Manager Hewitt Dies
    Thursday, February 8, 2007

Don Hewitt, who retired in 1995 as the St. Louis Rams’ Senior Equipment Manager, has passed away after a long illness. Hewitt was 83 and resided in Huntington Beach, California.

Hewitt was the Rams’ equipment manager from 1967-94 but his legacy continues today. Don‘s son, Todd, who first assisted his father at age 11 and learned the business from the bottom up, succeeded Don as Equipment Manager in 1995. Todd’s teenage sons, Josh and Dalton, are on their dad’s staff during training camp and in the football season.

“My dad always felt that it wasn’t a job but a way of life,” said Todd Hewitt. “Dad did it with dedication and passion. To him the Rams family was an extension of his family.”

Don Hewitt was a native of Fresno, California, who played football at Fresno State and was an infielder in the Oakland Oaks’ Pacific Coast League organization. He began coaching at Arcadia High in Southern California in 1956 and became Equipment Manager at the University of Southern California in 1965.

Hewitt joined the Rams after two seasons at USC at a time the Rams were moving their in-season training facility from the San Fernando Valley to the Blair Field recreation facility in Long Beach, California.

Hewitt supervised the equipment move when the Rams opened Rams Park in Anaheim, California, in 1981 and he helped in the move to St. Louis in 1995. A favorite of players and staff, the senior Hewitt visited the training facility often in St. Louis and attended the Rams’ game in San Diego in Week 8 of the 2006 season.

Hewitt is survived by his wife, Jackie, sons Todd, Michael, John and Matthew, twins Wendy and Marsha, and Robin and Kathie; 14 grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. Services are pending.

Re: Rams Senior Equipment Manager D. Hewitt Dies

To him the Rams family was an extension of his family.
    That pretty much says it all.

The Rams truly were his professional passion as it is now for Todd, his son. I remember seeing Don Hewitt in Rams literature of the late 60s as Equipment Mgr., a position he held proudly for over 25 years along with a young Todd as a dedicated apprentice.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Thank you Don Hewitt. :r

...What really makes a vintage sports movie interesting is the authenticity of the equipment and uniforms depicted on the screen. In general, I believe that the studios do a fine job of matching the correct equipment and uniforms with the era being depicted. The Hollywood studios hired former Los Angeles Ram’s equipment manager Don Hewitt to oversee the football equipment and uniforms used for such movies as “Heaven Can Wait,” “Number 1” (New Orleans Saints theme with Charles Heston playing Billy Kilmer) and “Black Sunday” and the results were spectacular (if I may use a Hollywood phrase).

For example, to duplicate the Ram’s uniforms used in “Heaven Can Wait” Don actually ordered the exact equipment and uniforms specifications that he used for the actual Ram’s team (look close and you will see the name “Hewitt” on the back of a Ram’s jersey in a locker room scene from the movie – nice touch Don!)

Source: Dr. Del, HelmetHut.com

'Any other Ram fan here in the Clan that would like to say something about the departed Don Hewitt?...

I first met Don in Los Angeles in the early 80's

He was a true gentleman and showed me around the lockerroom and introduced me to the players and coaches. Over the years, as his son Todd took over, Don faded into the background but I remember seeing him last in St Louis at Rams park. He was sitting in Todds office, holding court. He handed me a Ernie Conwell game shirt and told me it was mine. We chatted for about 20 minutes and went on about the old days.

He will be missed.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Many of us who are students of the history of the team will always remember don well. He is one of the real "behind the scenes" rams hall of famers. He was trained by the immortal bill granholm, who held the position for over twenty years before don took over, held it for twenty years and then handed it over to his son todd.

Many of us know a lot about the rams players, but its guys like bill john, granholm, the hewitts, chile walsh, buzz wetzel, announcer bob kelley, tex schmramm, don klosterman, who along with ownership, ran the team on a day to day basis without getting a lot of credit or glory. Same is true of shaw, ziggy and charlie today. Say what you want about disfunctional front office, they finally brought us the title.

He sleeps now with the angels, and we hope that mr hewitt has found peace and a permanent set of rams horns.

ramming speed to all and sympathies to his family

general counsel

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I don't know much about him, but from what I've read, he was a huge contributor to the Rams. Sorry to hear about the loss, RIP.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nice comments -- and true. Interesting, Dez, that you got to meet Don.

Thanks also to all for the eulogies. Good job.