• 1 Post By Curly Horns
  • 2 Post By HUbison

Thread: Rams Settling into New Schemes

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams Settling into New Schemes

Rams Settling into New Schemes
    By Nick Wagoner
    Posted 4 hours ago

As the Rams close in on their first preseason contest Sunday in Indianapolis, nobody is making any pretense that they’re polished and ready to go for the regular season.

But offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and assistant head coach Dave McGinnis, who is speaking on behalf of the defense, made it clear Wednesday night that their respective units are right on track to be where they need to be when the regular season opener does come around.

Back in the spring, the offense and defense went through an initial installation with the idea that the opening part of training camp would serve as a refresher course followed by adding on more and eventually installing a game plan.

McGinnis said that process has been smooth for the defense as training camp allows the coaching staff to identify and focus on the details.

“The defense is installed and again, we had it installed in OTAs,” McGinnis said. “What we did is we came back and then we went through it again, but we also let the coaches break it down very finite to their position groups. The only way you can play fast on defense is you have to know exactly what you’re doing and you have to have it down cold, and that was the objective coming into this camp is get this defense down cold, so we can play fast.”

On offense, things are a little more difficult as there have been a number of moving parts. The defense has had a rotation at safety but for the most part, the top unit has had a similar look day in and day out.

Offensively, there has been plenty of rotating on the offensive line, at receiver and at tight end.

Despite the mixing and matching, Schottenheimer is pleased with where the offense is heading into the preseason opener against Indianapolis.

The offense had one of its crisper performances on Wednesday and followed with another solid effort on Thursday.

“I think you see that, you notice that,” Schottenheimer said. “Again, there are still mistakes. I made a mistake today in the two-minute drive at the end. I’d like to have that call back, but that’s what we’re here for. But you see the guys playing faster now and that’s what it’s about. It’s building up to that tempo where they can actually just go and react and they don’t have to think.”

Of course, with about a month to go before the regular season opener at Detroit, there is still a lot to be done. As Schottenheimer referenced, even the coaches have mistakes to clean up.

“Believe me, I will. I make plenty of bad calls,” Schottenheimer said. “The players bail me out. I make good calls that don’t work sometimes, too.”

Sunday’s preseason opener will be a prime opportunity for the Rams to see just how far they’ve come. It’s possible they could be ahead of schedule just as it’s possible the Rams might have more clean up work to do.

“I’ll tell you a little bit more on Sunday afternoon about 4:30 or 5:00,” McGinnis said. “Again, our whole objective is to get ready to play Detroit. I mean, that’s what we’re trying to do. So you never reach perfection or nirvana in this league on defense. What you’re trying to do is continue to let them, again as I said, have the familiarity that it’s so much a part of them, that they can play fast.”

RIGHT TACKLE COMPETITION?: Incumbent right tackle Jason Smith has held down that spot in practice every day for every rep of this year’s training camp. Until Wednesday night.

Veteran tackle Barry Richardson got his first look at right tackle with the top offense in that practice and again got work there on Thursday. While it’s only a couple of practices, coach Jeff Fisher did acknowledge that there’s a competition forming there.

“The more familiar he becomes with our system, the better he is,” Fisher said. “There’s a lot of competition all over the roster and Barry’s created some competition at that right tackle.”

ON THE OUTSIDE: Speaking of competition, one of the places that has been getting a lot of attention for the roster battle that’s ensuing is outside linebacker.

While Jo-Lonn Dunbar seems pretty well settled at weakside linebacker and Mario Haggan has received the longest look on the strong side, the Rams have been trying different combinations at both positions in recent days.

Veteran Rocky McIntosh, Justin Cole and Josh Hull have all been getting look sees with the first team. Heading into the preseason opener, that is certainly one area to watch.

“Absolutely, and that’s going to be a very fluid situation,” McGinnis said. “I think as we progress throughout this preseason you’re going to see different combinations there. Again, (MLB) James (Laurinaitis) clearly is the cornerstone that we are building around there, but we need to get the various combinations in because during the season, I mean you’ve got to be able, especially at the linebacker spot in this defense, they’ve got to be able to play all three spots. Now James is our ‘mike’ backer, but the other guys have to be able to fill in, play very well, and we need to give them a chance to learn those positions, too. So we’ll be using some different combinations as we go.”

JENKINS READY ALREADY?: One rookie who seems to have solidified his spot in the lineup already is cornerback Janoris Jenkins.

Jenkins essentially staked his initial claim to the job back in the spring and has done nothing to relinquish it in this camp. To this point, he’s been one of the most consistent performers on the field, regardless of position.

“Janoris Jenkins continues to impress out here, but Janoris Jenkins loves football and he works at it,” McGinnis said. “(Secondary coach) Chuck Cecil and (assistant secondary coach) Brandon Fisher are doing a tremendous job with him, getting him up to speed on what we’re doing, but he’s a very, very willing pupil and I’ve got no problems with Janoris Jenkins being on the field, believe me.”

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Settling into New Schemes

I enjoy reading NW's articles. I print all of them and his blogs off the Rams NFL website (easier for me to read them offline). He sure keeps himself busy putting out tons of Rams news for us diehard fans. Kinda reminds me of ClanRam's own Nick Mountaineer.

Nick likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

JENKINS READY ALREADY?: One rookie who seems to have solidified his spot in the lineup already is cornerback Janoris Jenkins.

Jenkins essentially staked his initial claim to the job back in the spring and has done nothing to relinquish it in this camp. To this point, he’s been one of the most consistent performers on the field, regardless of position.

“Janoris Jenkins continues to impress out here, but Janoris Jenkins loves football and he works at it,” McGinnis said. “(Secondary coach) Chuck Cecil and (assistant secondary coach) Brandon Fisher are doing a tremendous job with him, getting him up to speed on what we’re doing, but he’s a very, very willing pupil and I’ve got no problems with Janoris Jenkins being on the field, believe me.”
    Wonderful news!

I absolutely admit that I would not have had the testicular fortitude to pull the trigger on Jenkins when the Rams did. I look forward to continuing to be wrong on this guy.
    Nick and Dwight Frye like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Exactly Hub. We all knew he was talented. Everyone said so and it wasn't like he was bad at Florida. The problem was, he had also shown himself to be a complete mystery as to whether we could count on him to be there for all 16 games, or whether we needed to expect him to be suspended every once in a while. So far, so good, but I think this next offseason will be the real trick. The Rams did what they could to hold back money as long as possible for a couple reasons. First, so that he has incentives to be on his best behavior. And second, to make sure that he can adjust to NFL life without having a "bottomless" checkbook like Dez Bryant had issues with and still does.

I, too, look forward to being wrong on him, but we knew that he could play. It's the off the field part that matters, but so far, he's making the front office and coaches look rather good. I hope he stays in the classroom and not the bar room.
    I believe!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

DROY candidate?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I still think Nick is Nick Wagoner.