Rams Shopping #2 Pick

By Matt Bowen
    Posted April 21, 2009

Sources have told the National Football Post that the St. Louis Rams are looking to trade down from the No. 2 slot in this weekend’s NFL Draft, driving speculation that any team interested in Mark Sanchez could work out a deal to move up and get the USC quarterback, who has been rising fast on draft boards.

As I wrote earlier today, Sanchez has seen his stock rise in recent weeks, and with league-wide speculation suggesting the Seattle Seahawks may take him at No. 4, this is a perfect opportunity to move ahead of Seattle and grab him.

The way I see it, St. Louis gets to move out of the No. 2 spot and acquire multiple draft picks, while teams that have been rumored to have an interest in Sanchez, including Washington and Denver, can trade up and take him off the board early.

It’s still early in draft week, but if a team is willing to offer multiple picks to St. Louis, we could be looking at both projected top-10 quarterbacks — Matthew Stafford of Georgia and Sanchez — going Nos. 1 and 2 on Saturday.

More on this story as it develops.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Shopping #2 Pick

With the cost of the #2 pick and all the needs that the Rams have; I'm liking this idea more and more everyday.

Recent reports have it that the Jets are also interested in moving up to get Sanchez.

Things are heating up.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

LOL @ Devaney saying he's not very good at smokescreens. HA. Yea. I really hope they pull this off. The Rams could not only use the extra picks, but could potentially still get one of the guys they're targeting at 2.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

interesting.

One the one hand, we could stay where we are and grab Curry, with a good chance of still getting a decent OT with our 2nd round pick.

Or, we can trade #2 to try to get more picks. Not sure which I prefer...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So if you're some team out there, that's just GOT to have Sanchez.......why not trade to a lower position than 2 and save yourselves a ton of picks? Because the Hawks might take him.

So if you're some team out there, that's just GOT to have Sanchez, AND you are completely convinced the Hawks will take a QB.........then why not wait to see if the Lions even take Stafford? Well, this won't wait til the last minute, so a deal needs to be ready to go with the assumption that Stafford will be a Lion

So if you're some team out there, that's just GOT to have Sanchez, AND you are certain the Lions will take Stafford, AND you are completely convinced the Hawks will take him.........why not just trade with the Chiefs? It will save you roughly a 3rd pick to move up to 3 instead of 2. Well, but who's to say the Chiefs even want to trade out.

So let's say you're some team out there, that's just GOT to have Sanchez, AND you are certain the Lions will take Stafford, AND you are completely convinced the Hawks will take him AND the Chiefs are unwilling to move the #3 pick........THEN you could work a trade with the Rams.

But I don't see it happening.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Interesting that the author of the report is a former Ram.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Matt Bowen... hmmm now is he considered a Bust in the NFL?

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

It could also be the Rams regime not only prefers more multiple picks to fill various needs in the draft, but also to not let a divisional rival acquire a potential star..

general counsel is offline Registered User

Seattle is going to get a potential star at #4 no matter what the rams do with the #2. That may or may not be sanchez, but it will be a top guy. I know one thing. If seattle takes sanchez, it sure wont help them this year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

blood85 is offline Registered User

I say we stay where we are, unless we get "x's team" number 1 draft choice, plus their next years number 1 draft choice, extra picks and a six pack of beer.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So let's say you're some team out there, that's just GOT to have Sanchez, AND you are certain the Lions will take Stafford, AND you are completely convinced the Hawks will take him AND the Chiefs are unwilling to move the #3 pick........THEN you could work a trade with the Rams.

But I don't see it happening.
    I don't see it happening either, but the alternative to that is that the Rams are throwing the trade value chart out the window and are willing to give a great deal to get out of #2 and into the middle of the 1st round. We won't get a big name like Smith, Monroe or Curry, but we could get a much better value pick as well as more draft picks later/next year even if they don't equal the "blessed" chart. If we trade and gain anything even somewhat close to value, I'll be ecstatic with Devaney.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

What are the chances that the RAMS do a pick and trade like SD did? If a team thinks they can get him by trading with another team, and they REALLY want Sanchez, the RAMS could mess that trade up by selecting him at the #2 spot.

Worst case scenario is that we get a QB to groom for the future, and miss out on a pick that really didn't rate a #2 spot salary anyway.

gap

Milan is offline Registered User

I'm all for trading the pick down to around #7-#8...if we use the pick on someone that's not Mark Sanchez. It's not just the fact that I don't want a QB with the first rounder (And believe me, I don't.) It's also the fact that Mark Sanchez is going to be a bust.

ramsfan1975 is offline Registered User

I have said it before ill say it again.

the rams will either choose curry or, to tick off the teams that want him will draft sanchez and hold him hostage...so redskins you dont want to give us your first, 3rd this year and your first next year? rather trade with kc...no problem, we chose him, now we want your first this year, 3rd this year and 1 and 3rd next year....muhahahahaha......all while calling all the other 31 other teams and seeing what they would be willing to give up...muhahahahahahaha.... ok so im looney today

Truth is offline Registered User

I can really see the Rams picking then trading Sanchez. I believe if this happens that the trade will be something that was discussed and agreed upon PRIOR to the pick.

As I've said before, I am very willing to trust the judgement of our new FO and coaching staff. Let the fun begin!!
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!