Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dgr828 is offline Registered User

Rams should let Bradford hold the clipboard for awhile

Its not the same as Mark Sanchez with the New York Jets, who was thrown into the fire as their starting QB, right away as a rookie.
    The Rams should treat their #1 draft pick and future franchise quarterback with kid gloves, for starters, literally.

Sam Bradford is sure to be chomping at the bit to get his NFL career going and already with his mere presence has caused a QB controversy for the Saint Louis Rams.

The Detroit Lions selected a QB with their #1 pick a year ago and started him right away as a rookie with , more or less, disasterous results.
    Matthew Stafford under center for a team that lost to the Rams last year, is much different than Mark Sanchise taking over a well equipt Jets team.

The Rams may want take a different approach than the Lions, who started their QB right away with no support.

If Sam Bradford were a Jet he would be the 'Bradchise'.

but he's a Ram, a team desparately trying to regain its identity. Until they find it, its probably best that our old 'Uncle Sam' holds the old clipboard for at least the start of the regular season. ITS AJ ON OPENNING DAY!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Re: Rams should let Bradford hold the clipboard for awhile

Let 'em take a few snaps in the early games until he feels he's truly ready, then throw him into the pit of fire and hope he comes out with a huge grin on his face.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If we want to play him right away, he better prove that he's the best option we have beyond a doubt. Otherwise, if you want him to see some action, play him in the 4th quarter if/when the game is already decided.
    I believe!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I say he is starter day one. How is he gonna learn the speed of the game from the sideline?

Trevor is offline Registered User

Think of this scenario, AJ feely is the starting QB and sucks at the start, and then a couple games in after all the fans are yelling "Start Bradford" Feely gets injured and Bradford gets put in and pulls a Roethlisberger! That would be awesome.

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

If he is ready then start him. If hes not... dont... thats it. The only thing the Rams NEED to do is be able to tell the difference.

SeqArtMark Guest

I think he'd be better off sitting for a while. David Carr is one of many QB's who came into a bad situation and was ruined as a result. I sort of see the Rams as an expansion team this season. Unless something crazy happens and the Rams win more games than expected, I'd say sit Bradford until the season is definitely over (say, week 8 or 9) and then throw him in. Half a season should be enough time to get his feet wet and come out strong the next year.

Not to be Negative Nate, but I don't have high expectations this year (not that it's a problem).

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

C
    Quote Originally Posted by SeqArtMark View Post
    I think he'd be better off sitting for a while. David Carr is one of many QB's who came into a bad situation and was ruined as a result. I sort of see the Rams as an expansion team this season. Unless something crazy happens and the Rams win more games than expected, I'd say sit Bradford until the season is definitely over (say, week 8 or 9) and then throw him in. Half a season should be enough time to get his feet wet and come out strong the next year.

Not to be Negative Nate, but I don't have high expectations this year (not that it's a problem).
    Well u can't compare carr to bradford cause carr has went other places and amounted to nothing.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Most of whether Sam starts or not is up to Sam. If he looks lost and rattled during preseason games, then that's probably how he'd look in regular season games. The coaching staff won't know for sure until the rubber meets the road in game situations. Sam is smart and certainly has the physical tools, but how will he react when he gets roughed up consistently. On paper we apparently have the makings of a decent O-line, but who knows if Smith is really ready and capable of protecting Sam's blind side. On the right side we got a group of household names in the likes of Trautwein, Goldberg, Young, McKee and Saffold. Nothing to inspire awe as yet ..

No proven backup to SJ, no set in stone receivers yet. (I wonder why that is?) There are many unresolved factors for the coaching staff to mull over in the coming months before a decision is rendered as to who'll start on opening day.

Sam will have every opportunity to prove he's the guy, but can he? We just don't know yet and I feel safe in saying the coaching staff doesn't either. Bottom line: We'll all have to be patient and simply wait and see ..

MACD is offline Registered User

FWIW...Sam went into his sophomore season at OU in a 3 way race for starting QB against another soph and a JC recruit. I thought the JC guy would undoubtedly win the spot, but the coaches came out of spring ball with Sam #1. I think he'll make this an easy decision for the St. Louis coaching staff....It'll be September Sam.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think you play him whenever he's ready to go in. If he has the system down by the start of the season, let him go in there. If he needs more time to digest the playbook, then there's no rush. I don't think this has to be a particularly difficult decision.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Let the o-line play together for a few games and work on their chemistry before you put Bradford behind them, methinks.

jonnokc Guest

If O-Line looks decent then you start him - the article references Stafford as if it was somehow a disaster - they were more competitive than the prev year - he learned alot and had 2 quality performances and 1 outstanding game (albeit against the Browns) - and despite being sacked 24 times only missed a couple games late in year with minor injury

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    C

Well u can't compare carr to bradford cause carr has went other places and amounted to nothing.
    His comparison to Carr wasn't out of a career or even a skill set standpoint, but that they both went to bad teams after being drafted first overall. I would have to agree that Bradford isn't coming into the best situation, but maybe a little better than what Carr did.

The Optimistic Lamb Guest

The Lions throwing Stafford out there to the wolves was a mistake, even though he played well. He still got killed. It would be smarter for the Rams to ease Bradford into the game. He could still learn a lot on the sideline, although many fans will be upset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast