Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,766
    Rep Power
    79

    Rams should let Bradford play right away

    Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    05/22/2010

    There's no sure, pure way to develop a rookie quarterback. It doesn't matter if a team breaks them in slowly or immediately throws them into the pit; all methods have produced success stories and failures.

    So what should the Rams do with Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall draft pick? The more I think about it, the more I believe the Rams should accelerate the schedule and get Bradford ready to start the season.

    Why?

    — Bradford was the top pick in the draft. How can a team that's gone 6-42 over the last three years justify not playing the No. 1 overall pick? If I'm the owner, I'd wonder why my losing team drafted Bradford No. 1 overall — and enriched him with a contract that includes around $45 million in guaranteed money — to be a spectator.

    — The Rams tell us that Bradford is highly intelligent, a quick learner, a hard worker and motivated in the pursuit of excellence. Bradford should be an ideal student. So why hold him back?

    — The NFL has changed. Once upon a time, teams could put a young QB on scholarship for several seasons. And yes, in recent years the Green Bay Packers took that approach with Aaron Rodgers. But that's because Green Bay had Brett Favre at quarterback; the Rams have A.J. Feeley. The recent trend is to let the young guns play right away. Joe Flacco in Baltimore, Matt Ryan in Atlanta, Mark Sanchez with the New York Jets.

    — Talent doesn't get better by standing on the sideline. You improve by playing. And three of the first four regular-season games are at home. That's a plus.

    — Right now, it looks bleak on the labor front. The owners and players appear to be preparing for a showdown that could wipe out the 2011 season. If Bradford isn't the starter in 2010, and there's no football in 2011, then Bradford wouldn't start until 2012. And if 2012 is Bradford's first season of full-time action, he wouldn't be considered an "experienced" quarterback until 2013. I just don't see how the Rams can afford to waste all of that time in prepping Bradford.

    Sure, there are risks in playing Bradford early. The Rams may be starting two young offensive tackles, and the receivers aren't the best. But this team has a strong running game thanks to Steven Jackson, and that should enhance any young quarterback. And the West Coast offense, by nature, puts a quarterback in position to unload quickly and reduce his physical punishment.

    The Rams' coaches have several months to prepare Bradford. And if they can't get him ready to play, it will raise questions about the quality of the coaching.


  2. #2
    Flippin' Ram's Avatar
    Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,434
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    That's no surprise coming from Bernie. How did Troy Aikman do in his rookie season?

  3. #3
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,043
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    One reason comes to mind:



  4. #4
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,766
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    — Bradford was the top pick in the draft. How can a team that's gone 6-42 over the last three years justify not playing the No. 1 overall pick? If I'm the owner, I'd wonder why my losing team drafted Bradford No. 1 overall — and enriched him with a contract that includes around $45 million in guaranteed money — to be a spectator.

    — The NFL has changed. Once upon a time, teams could put a young QB on scholarship for several seasons. And yes, in recent years the Green Bay Packers took that approach with Aaron Rodgers. But that's because Green Bay had Brett Favre at quarterback; the Rams have A.J. Feeley. The recent trend is to let the young guns play right away. Joe Flacco in Baltimore, Matt Ryan in Atlanta, Mark Sanchez with the New York Jets.
    Hopefully an integral issue within the impending labor dispute will finally be addressed and resolved: the ridiculously high salaries paid to rookies who haven't played and NFL down .. Pressure to play a guy purely because of the financial implications isn't a good thing for the league. Taking money out of the equation as to whether or not a rookie starts, would appear to benefit the league overall by taking unnecessary pressure off coaches to play guys who need more time to develop .. My 2 cents anyway ...

  5. #5
    BEER's Avatar
    BEER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    896
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    This is to easy.

  6. #6
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,331
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    Any time I read "the more I think about it" in a Bernie article, I know I'm in for a laugh.

    The Rams will not start Bradford because he was the #1 pick. They will not start him because the team has gone 6-42 over the last 3 seasons, nor because of the money, nor the possibility of a lockout. And the idea that players don't get better by learning the pro game in practice without getting the physical and mental snot beaten out of them when they are not yet ready is preposterous.

    The Rams will start him when they do because they think he gives the team the best chance to win with his play at the QB position at that time.It may well be game 1. I don't think they would have drafted him if they believed it would take a whole season but maybe we should all wait until he's at least put on pads & thrown a ball under game conditions before we start guessing.

    It's as simple as that. Stop thinking , Bernie, & have a doughnut. You're gonna hurt yourself.

  7. #7
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,766
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    And the idea that players don't get better by learning the pro game in practice without getting the physical and mental snot beaten out of them when they are not yet ready is preposterous.
    Couldn't agree more!

  8. #8
    jonnokc is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    This one is pretty easy SB>>>>>>>AJ

  9. #9
    01d 0rd3r's Avatar
    01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,259
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    Ah a new season, new Bernie articles. Lets see how many logical errors he makes this year folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    — Bradford was the top pick in the draft. How can a team that's gone 6-42 over the last three years justify not playing the No. 1 overall pick? If I'm the owner, I'd wonder why my losing team drafted Bradford No. 1 overall — and enriched him with a contract that includes around $45 million in guaranteed money — to be a spectator.
    Because if I am an owner I would like him to not have Shell shock early in his rookie season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    — The Rams tell us that Bradford is highly intelligent, a quick learner, a hard worker and motivated in the pursuit of excellence. Bradford should be an ideal student. So why hold him back?
    Why is it that letting him adjust to a pro system and style of play for the first few weeks holding him back, and throwing the kid in the fire before he can get comfortable a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernire
    — The NFL has changed. Once upon a time, teams could put a young QB on scholarship for several seasons. And yes, in recent years the Green Bay Packers took that approach with Aaron Rodgers. But that's because Green Bay had Brett Favre at quarterback; the Rams have A.J. Feeley. The recent trend is to let the young guns play right away. Joe Flacco in Baltimore, Matt Ryan in Atlanta, Mark Sanchez with the New York Jets.
    Ok I am sickly tired of the Sanchez argument, want me to remind everyone of his stats? 12 td's 22 int's 2444 yrds and a 63 rtg. For that matter lets looks at Flacco's rookie stats, 14 td's 12 int's 2900 yrds and a 80 rtg. Matt Ryan didnt exactly have a steller rookie season with 16 td's and 11 int's. Lets get something straight, these QB's made it to the playoff's because their defenses were solid, they all had great runningbacks, and they were limited in their playcalling. We should expect nothing but growth over bradfords rookie season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    — Talent doesn't get better by standing on the sideline. You improve by playing. And three of the first four regular-season games are at home. That's a plus.
    Pure talent may not get much better but QB is the most mental position in the game, and to my knowledge the more someone studies over time they get smarter. So would it not be safe to assume that the more time Sam spend on the sideline watching the game and how the defense's work, he would get smarter with out us having to see him make mistakes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    — Right now, it looks bleak on the labor front. The owners and players appear to be preparing for a showdown that could wipe out the 2011 season. If Bradford isn't the starter in 2010, and there's no football in 2011, then Bradford wouldn't start until 2012. And if 2012 is Bradford's first season of full-time action, he wouldn't be considered an "experienced" quarterback until 2013. I just don't see how the Rams can afford to waste all of that time in prepping Bradford.
    Im sorry did Mawae call you and inform you without a shadow of a doubt that the players will be striking next year? No? Ok then I think you should just drop this argument.

  10. #10
    Rambunctious's Avatar
    Rambunctious is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,198
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Any time I read "the more I think about it" in a Bernie article, I know I'm in for a laugh.

    The Rams will not start Bradford because he was the #1 pick. They will not start him because the team has gone 6-42 over the last 3 seasons, nor because of the money, nor the possibility of a lockout. And the idea that players don't get better by learning the pro game in practice without getting the physical and mental snot beaten out of them when they are not yet ready is preposterous.

    The Rams will start him when they do because they think he gives the team the best chance to win with his play at the QB position at that time.It may well be game 1. I don't think they would have drafted him if they believed it would take a whole season but maybe we should all wait until he's at least put on pads & thrown a ball under game conditions before we start guessing.

    It's as simple as that. Stop thinking , Bernie, & have a doughnut. You're gonna hurt yourself.

    This is the second time I've tried to rep you for being wise but it says I must spread the wealth.

    Either you say a lot of great things or everyone else isn't pulling their weight.

  11. #11
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,859
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    Can I just say the name David Carr, and be done with it?
    I believe!

  12. #12
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    I love that he writes stuff like, "How can a team that's gone 6-42 over the last three years justify not playing the No. 1 overall pick?" as if there isn't an answer. There's an answer all right, Bernie just disagrees with it. And disagreeing with it is fine, but that's no reason to paint the other side of the debate as if they don't have a plan or haven't thought about any of this, which Bernie seems to do.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  13. #13
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I love that he writes stuff like, "How can a team that's gone 6-42 over the last three years justify not playing the No. 1 overall pick?" as if there isn't an answer. There's an answer all right, Bernie just disagrees with it. And disagreeing with it is fine, but that's no reason to paint the other side of the debate as if they don't have a plan or haven't thought about any of this, which Bernie seems to do.
    Unfortunately, Bernie forgot to close his rhetorical question with "over AJ Feeley."

    That's where it becomes indefensible.

  14. #14
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Rams should let Bradford play right away

    I think most of those are horrible reasons to start Bradford at the beginning of the season. I'm not opposed to the idea itself, but I would sincerely hope the reason wasn't because we're paying him a lot of money, we want to keep up with the latest NFL trend, or because we're worried about which season Bradford could officially be characterized as "experienced".

    In my opinion there are only two reasons you start Bradford from the get-go:

    1) You think it's the best thing for his development.

    and/or

    2) You think he gives us the best chance to win games.

Similar Threads

  1. Postgame Chat w/ Gordo
    By ScottD413 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-18-2009, 08:13 PM
  2. Chat w/ Jim Thomas - Feb 24th
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
  3. Gordo Live, Monday, March 3rd
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -03-04-2008, 07:22 PM
  4. Gordo 2/4/08
    By ramsplaya16 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-04-2008, 07:01 PM
  5. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-14-2007, 08:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •