throwback week

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams should stand firm against Sam Bradford mega-deal

Rams should stand firm against Sam Bradford mega-deal
    By Mike Florio
    Created 07/15/2010 - 22:53

At a time when the NFL has done everything it can to create the impression that the player compensation system doesn't work -- and that the current formula for paying first-round picks represents the most broken aspect of the process -- how can the St. Louis Rams justify paying $50 million guaranteed to quarterback Sam Bradford?

On Wednesday, a team that has advanced to the playoffs twice in three years unveiled a financial report that demonstrates a drop of nearly $25 million in operating profits in only two years. On Friday, a team that has won a total of six games in those same three years will formally commence a process that many expect to result in a contract that guarantees $50 million to a man who has never played a down in the NFL.

Sure, the Rams made Bradford the 2010 draft's first overall pick. And, yes, the jump to $50 million represents the next logical step in the development of a process that slowly has gone haywire over the past decade.

But why continue? The Rams have no obligation to spend the money. Under the labor deal, they must tender to Bradford a one-year contract worth the rookie minimum salary of $320,000, nothing more. With the salary floor gone and the rookie salary pool establishing only an easily circumvented ceiling on the first-year pay to each team's entire class of rookies, the Rams can decide to take a stand.

Some NFL insiders believe they should. In a year before owners are expected to lock out the players, the Rams could spark a process that, as a practical matter, locks out the first-round picks who aren't willing to accept whatever teams will pay. With a potential work stoppage coming up in 2011 and an even greater likelihood of a rookie wage scale looming for the next agreement, the prospects of sitting out a year have become less attractive than ever before.

Like most bold moves, a hard line from the Rams would entail significant risk. If more teams follow suit, the inevitable collusion claim from the NFLPA arising from depressed free agency activity will be strengthened. Moreover, if Bradford refuses to budge (and, trust me, agents Tom Condon and Ben Dogra will insist that Bradford holds firm), the Rams will have to deal with a fan base that wonders whether the franchise is serious about improving on its 1-15 finish in 2009.

But these are unusual times. Teams like the Indianapolis Colts and New England Patriots have decided not to sign their respective franchise quarterbacks to long-term deals until the labor situation is resolved, and barely a peep has emerged in response.

The Chargers have undermined their championship ambitions for 2010 by playing hardball with top receiver Vincent Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeill.

And, for the most part, fans have yet to stand up and demand that the teams fork over even more money to players who are perceived to be grossly overpaid (even if, in reality, they aren't).

Maybe, then, the Rams could pull it off. Maybe they'd be cheered, not jeered, for shouting "enough" to players and agents who have preyed on the desperation of the NFL's worst teams to win, steamrolling their front offices for bigger and bigger top-10 rookie deals.

If the league wants to sell the notion that teams can't continue to follow what Packers CEO Mark Murphy called upon release of his team's financial data a "non-sustainable model," the Rams possibly have no other choice.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Rams should stand firm against Sam Bradford mega-deal

Florio fancies himself quite the economist. The Rams have possibly no other choice than to opt for a move that would offend their consumer base and either place them at a disadvantage relative to their competitors or open them up to collusion charges.

While they're at it, they should cut all of their executives' salaries because let's face it, CEOs and Presidents and the like all get paid too much, too. They also should eliminate their parking lot because it would be more environmentally responsible to make everyone take the public bus system to get to games. And they should have a corporate policy against alcohol consumption and swearing by anyone employed by the Rams organization because somebody has to take a stand against excesses. Also, cheerleaders should be covered from ankle to chin. It might be unpopular at first, but the Rams must take a stand against the objectification of women. Yeah...
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -07-16-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Let someone else take a stand. We need our QB in on time....

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

With print media outlets in financial dire straits across the nation-in no small part due to the free burblings of Mike Florio & his internet & tv colleagues, I call for all sportswriters/broadcasters who make more than , say, $60k to donate at least 50% of the excess to their local rag or even literacy programs and the like.

Take a stand , Mike Florio, for the good of sports, journalism, and old fashioned values.I know it'll hurt a bit but, gosh darn it; it's the right thing to do.......(crickets chirping)....Mike?....Are you there?....

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

With the salary floor gone and the rookie salary pool establishing only an easily circumvented ceiling on the first-year pay to each team's entire class of rookies, the Rams can decide to take a stand.

Some NFL insiders believe they should.
    Of course some NFL insiders believe they should take a stand! Let the Rams 'take a stand' and struggle through a potential holdout so that all the other NFL teams gain a little bargaining traction. That's like a United Airlines spokesman saying that Delta Airlines should 'take a stand' against the pilots union - we'll pick up the business you lose due to the union strike and long-term we'll benefit from the precedent you set.

My response to these 'NFL insiders' - you first.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Make a stand? We are on our knees. Let one of the popular chest-thumping franchises go to bat on this one. Maybe a franchise whose ownership is sorted. They can take the hit far better than we can. We cannot afford to lock out our QB.

Seems like a pretty far-fetched idea to me anyway. The salaries are out of hand, and a new labor agreement will happen, but why force it now? A one-year $320k offer? If that is how the pundits see the labor dispute playing out, they are way off. If the owners drop $320k offers on every player in the NFL, it will lead to a walk-out, and backlash against the owners. #1 picks get paid well, and that is not going to change. I imagine we will still see big numbers for #1 picks, but there will be many more performance-based incentives.

Players that play big will get paid big. High-draft washouts will still get paid, but not to the level they are now. There is plenty of time to work out a deal, and a walkout is not guaranteed; everyone loses when play stops. GoRams!
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

MACD is offline Registered User

"Some NFL insiders believe they should."
    Ooooo....the ever-popular "Some"....Name 5. Heck, name one to have a shred of cred.

MACD is offline Registered User

Per ESPiN:

The Rams and representatives for Sam Bradford kicked off their negotiations Friday in St. Louis as they attempt to get the quarterback under contract in time for training camp.
    A deal is unlikely to be struck Friday, a league source said, but both the Rams and Bradford's reps are expected to lay the groundwork for what will be the richest contract in NFL history.
    The guaranteed money in the deal is expected to be between $45 million and $50 million, the source said.
    Last year the Detroit Lions gave No. 1 overall pick Matthew Stafford a six-year deal that included $41.7 million in guaranteed money.
    Both sides are aiming to finalize a deal by the time the Rams open training camp to their rookies on July 28. Bradford was the draft's No. 1 pick out of Oklahoma.
    Adam Schefter is an NFL reporter for ESPN Insider.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

I am curious as to how this ridiculous signing bonuses will end however. an increase of 4-5 millions/year cannot continue, that's for darn sure.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

So this is the time do make this stand? Why wasn't it last year or the year before that and so on? Thinking our RAMS should be the ones that make a stand is disrespectful in my opinion. Let someone else do it, period!

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    With print media outlets in financial dire straits across the nation-in no small part due to the free burblings of Mike Florio & his internet & tv colleagues, I call for all sportswriters/broadcasters who make more than , say, $60k to donate at least 50% of the excess to their local rag or even literacy programs and the like.

Take a stand , Mike Florio, for the good of sports, journalism, and old fashioned values.I know it'll hurt a bit but, gosh darn it; it's the right thing to do.......(crickets chirping)....Mike?....Are you there?....
    Rep to you. I actually like Florio, but he's pretty full of it on this.
    Last edited by Nick; -07-16-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: I don't know if Dez has control of the specific ads displayed, but best to contact him in private than make comments here.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Florio
    But why continue? The Rams have no obligation to spend the money. Under the labor deal, they must tender to Bradford a one-year contract worth the rookie minimum salary of $320,000, nothing more. With the salary floor gone and the rookie salary pool establishing only an easily circumvented ceiling on the first-year pay to each team's entire class of rookies, the Rams can decide to take a stand.
    Sure! Let all players get a $320k offer. And to level everything out, all seats in a stadium will be $5, all PSL money will be returned to the owner of the PSL, commercial time outs will be limited to one every quarter, game time refreshments will be the same price as a fast food resturant, and there will be no extra charge for the club sections. If the owners are going to spend less money on players, they need to take less money from everyone else.

gap
    Last edited by gap; -07-16-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: should have quoted original article

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Every fan of every team will all say the same thing, "let someone else do it". Well I, for one, am all for taking a stand and being a pioneer, rather than a hangers' on, that sits around and waits to reap benefits of someone else's labor.

I dare you to stand up Rams, and be a pioneer. I dare you to stand up and earn the highest form of lasting respect that life has to offer. I dare you to set the standard for generations to come. I dare you to change the game as we know it. A game that is spiraling out of control. I dare you to be a hero. I dare you to be the one organization that displays the kind of heart that our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanastan display on a constant basis. The kind of courage that sets men apart. The kind of courage that 31 other coward organizations don't possess.

Go ahead Rams, I dare you.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -07-16-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Every fan of every team will all say the same thing, "let someone else do it". Well I, for one, am all for taking a stand and being a pioneer, rather than a hangers' on, that sits around and waits to reap benefits of someone else's labor.

I dare you to stand up Rams, and be a pioneer. I dare you to stand up and earn the highest form of lasting respect that life has to offer. I dare you to set the standard for generations to come. I dare you to change the game as we know it. A game that is spiraling out of control. I dare you to be a hero. I dare you to be the one organization that displays the kind of heart that our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanastan display on a constant basis. The kind of courage that sets men apart. The kind of courage that 31 other coward organizations don't possess.

Go ahead Rams, I dare you.
    While we're being brave and fearless those coward organizations will have their pics in on time while we have a rookie QB that's missing crucial practices..

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    While we're being brave and fearless those coward organizations will have their pics in on time while we have a rookie QB that's missing crucial practices..
    If I may borrow a line from Allen Iverson.....Practice? We talkin' 'bout practice?

I'm sorry sir, but I believe what's at stake here is a bit more important than practice.

Practice? We talkin' 'bout practice?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast