Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams should stand firm against Sam Bradford mega-deal

The NFL rookie salary is a league problem not the rams they need to work that out in the collective bargaining talks. This is still how it works, pay the man his money.

:ramlogo:

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

What would happen if the Rams refuse to give in and pay out this ridiculous amount of money? What is Bradford to do? Sit out a year or two and take less money anyway? Why should the Rams open up and give him the biggest payday ever, with a lockout and a restructure of the rookie pay scales on the horizon?

50 million to an unproven rookie QB? This is insanity and the owners have the power to put a stop to it now. It will be interesting to see if the Rams have the guts to put a more reasonable offer on the table.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    What would happen if the Rams refuse to give in and pay out this ridiculous amount of money? What is Bradford to do? Sit out a year or two and take less money anyway? Why should the Rams open up and give him the biggest payday ever, with a lockout and a restructure of the rookie pay scales on the horizon?

50 million to an unproven rookie QB? This is insanity and the owners have the power to put a stop to it now. It will be interesting to see if the Rams have the guts to put a more reasonable offer on the table.
    This is the current system the NFL works under. If you are the rams they are in no position to hard ball Bradford and risk alienating this guy. The rams will have a hard enough time getting other players in here to play, what chance will they have looking cheap. If they did not want to pay the man they should have traded the pick or trade his right to another team who want have any problem paying him.
    :ramlogo:

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Let someone else take a stand. We need our QB in on time....
    Two thumbs up on that one,
    Pop quize, who pays these big contracts?........The Fans

GO RAMS

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    If I may borrow a line from Allen Iverson.....Practice? We talkin' 'bout practice?

I'm sorry sir, but I believe what's at stake here is a bit more important than practice.

Practice? We talkin' 'bout practice?
    LOL,,,Practice.

Some place SSG Duncan is going on and on about practice.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I think we can all agree the salary growth YOY is ridiculous. What would the Rams gain from taking a stand? Not that I expect much from Bradford his first year but are we not here because of the practice of the NFL/Agents and teams willing and able to pay the exorbitant amount that is hustled each and every year? Now we have a chance, A CHANCE to have a player that could potentially maie a huge difference to an organization in dire need of hope. And the so called unnamed "pundits" are thinking we need to take a stand.

How about 1 year deal at something much less then 50M guaranteed but more then 300K? Suppose that is too easy. But please, Rams take a stand? Custer took a stand, did not work out so well for him.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

I think the "logical progression" to $50 million is a fallacy. Stafford got $42 million guaranteed, so I'm not real clear on why the Rams would be obligated to kick that up 20%. The logic seems to be that this was the difference between Matt Ryan, drafted 3rd in 2008, and Matt Stafford, drafted 1st in 2009. But that's not a completely accurate comparison, and the 20% difference definitely does not reflect what the free agency market was doing between 2009 and 2010.

So yeah, we do have some negotiating room to get a contract that's in the best interests of the team, but tossing Bradford a minimum tender would definitely not be in our best interests. It's the Rams front office's job only to look out for the good of the Rams, not make sacrifices for the industry as a whole. Problems like the rookie compensation are exactly the kind of thing that should be fixed in the next CBA because no single team can fix it on its own.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -07-17-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I may be wrong but here is my thought on the matter.

If we don't guarantee around 50 million to Bradford over the next few years and he doesn't sign... the Rams organization will lose more than 50 million over the next few years.

Ticket sales, apparel, sponsors, etc... will all drop of the charts.

Spend it to win it!

bigredman is offline Registered User

I'm not convinced that Bradford is "franchise" fantastic, going to take us to the playoffs, type of QB. I say we make a reasonable offer and be prepared to let the kid sit out. With the new contract negotiations on the horizon and the liklihood that rookie contract compensation will be drastically changed in compromise to higher veteran pay and benefits, I would be happy to wait. Bradford may wake up and take the deal rather than face new rookie pay scale.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Springfield Rams is offline Registered User

Cute idea but a franchise like the St. Louis Rams can't play games like this with their supposed "Future of the Franchise". This thing will be solved soon enough without one team having to go out on a limb.

rxb97 is offline Registered User

If you are a fan that is sick of high paid rookies I understand you wanting to take a stand...thats your opinion and you have every right to it ...just dont expect Super talent to want to come to the team you support....the truth of the matter is Sam is heads over heels more talented than Stafford or Ryan ( going on his previous record as a QB, after all thats all you have to work with prior to signing)and they both got paid.... He should not accept less, now he might because I believe he wants to play and the money is not what is all about to him, he loves to play the game....I think he wants to get the deal done early but the money man might not let that happen....but as far as comparing SAM to these others he was a bright and shining star early and hoefully for years to come and all the St Louis fans will be talking about what a bargain it was to sign him in 2010 and got him into camp early

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    I'm not convinced that Bradford is "franchise" fantastic, going to take us to the playoffs, type of QB. I say we make a reasonable offer and be prepared to let the kid sit out. With the new contract negotiations on the horizon and the liklihood that rookie contract compensation will be drastically changed in compromise to higher veteran pay and benefits, I would be happy to wait. Bradford may wake up and take the deal rather than face new rookie pay scale.
    I'm not to smart about "contracts and salaries," but this here sounds like a great proposal. Bradford had said he would leave all negotiating to his agent. I think his agent is smart enough to see what is going on here (In view of Red Man's insight) and make a deal. Could you imagine if this guy (his agent) loses his senses and costs Bradford major dollars? I feel the Rams and his agent will make a quick deal. You seen what happened to Chris Johnson, Titans gave him 2.5 million and he was the best back in the league last year. Something is brewing here if this happened, expect Bradford's deal to get done quickly.

As always great reply Big Red Man!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Supposing Condon "comes to his senses" and realizes that if Bradford holds out too long he won't get paid, just how long will it take Condon to realize this? How many precious few training camp days will the Rams and Bradford have to suffer before we get this great deal?

This is a huge gamble and one I hope the Rams pass on. Shoudl the Rams just pay Bradford 50 million and be done like that? Heck no. If we caved in that easy then we could let anyone negotiate contracts. We should get a deal done that is structured nicely and takes the pending lockout into consideration, while also not forfeiting 50 mill so easily.

This is the last year this is expected to have to happen, as far as taking a stand, can we really afford this? If Sam gives us the best chance to win and he's off at home on the couch watching the Rams play instead of learning the crucial information that he needs to know then can we expect AJ Feeley to get us wins? What happens if this is the reason we lose more games this year? If your the head coach and GM of this team and you lose games because your top draft choice couldn't agree on a contract how's that going to make you and your staff look?

There are times to "take a stand" and while I think the Rams shouldn't cave in to 50 mill. Trying to act as if a the CBA has already made a deal on this stuff is downright not a good idea. One more hurdle and we won't have to deal with this anymore. Let's just take one for the team here.

SCRF is offline Registered User

It may be the current way, but not the future........ Lets start the future now. How about a 4 year $16m deal and guarantee $8.......sounds like a sweet deal for a young rookie fresh out of school, even the #1 pick. And as he grows and gains experience and skill, we will give him a raise.....what a concept.

Truth is offline Registered User

Once again Florio has not only not hit the nail right on the head, he's missed the nail completely and smacked his thumb. Knowing what the current system is, you don't make your first pick the most expensive one possible unless you're willing to do what it takes to make it work. Tendering a 1 year contract, at the rookie minimum does nothing but garauntee that Bradford will not sign with the Rams, now or in the future. If the Rams wanted to make a stand, they should have chosen a different player, at a different position. Hopefully the new player agreement will include a rookie salary cap. I believe it must and will. The Rams are not in a position to be the sacrificial lambs (no pun intended).
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast